Options In The South

corkman

Hi All,

I’m living in Bangkok and have some leave that I need to use up and was thinking of driving down south to a few slightly “less visited” areas.

I’ve been to Phuket, Samui, Pha-ngan, Ko Toa, Hu Hin, Cha-am, so I am thinking about:

Rayong

Phang gna

Krabi

Altogether I have 9 nights / 10 days…… but you could say really its more like 9 nights 8 days, as it takes a day to get into “The South”.

So, I’d really like some suggestions, if anyone has any?

Points to note:

We will be driving (own Fortuner).I’m travling with wife, 4yr old, and nanny, so it needs to be kept safe and family friendly.

Wife & I enjoy diving, water falls, nice scenery, nice beaches – but not really into full scale hiking or white water rafting or anything extreme(ish).

I’m no back-packer, but at the same time I’m happy with basic accommodation so long as it is safe, clean, and has air con. Preferred class is about 3-star.

I’m as good as Thai when it comes to food stuffs.

From a quick Google – Khao Lak looks like it could be nice, and different from the “Samui” side of the South? So perhaps a few days there, then maybe a few days in Krabi, and a few days elsewhere …… or whatever…….

I am totally open to suggestion

Thanks a mil.

CM

Just North of Chumphon is a beach called Thung Waelen. A 2km beautiful beach that during the week you can have to yourself. It has great diving, and day trips to national parks, waterfalls and stunning scenery are all around you. Very cheap and away from the touristy scene. The cabanna resort is nice although a little dated and there are various priced bungalows along the beach along with lots of cheap restaurants and bars. Chumphon town which is a few km away can also provide for your shopping needs etc. It is also an easy drive from BKK so no worries there either. Good luck and enjoy wherever you end up.

The link to the cabana resort is here if you want to have a look.

http://www.cabana.co.th

Just North of Chumphon is a beach called Thung Waelen. A 2km beautiful beach that during the week you can have to yourself. It has great diving, and day trips to national parks, waterfalls and stunning scenery are all around you. Very cheap and away from the touristy scene. The cabanna resort is nice although a little dated and there are various priced bungalows along the beach along with lots of cheap restaurants and bars. Chumphon town which is a few km away can also provide for your shopping needs etc. It is also an easy drive from BKK so no worries there either. Good luck and enjoy wherever you end up.

The link to the cabana resort is here if you want to have a look.

http://www.cabana.co.th

The relatively close proximity of chumpon certainly makes it attractive..... but don't know if I could stay there for a whole 10 days!

That being said, I didved "chumpon pinacle" a couple of times a few years ago, from Ko Toa..... its was great..... I certianly fancy some of that ;)

Any idea what the costs of diving are - both the Mrs and I are PADI Open Water divers.

Phang Nga and Krabi are not "less visited" but rather very busy tourist destinations in their own right. If you want less visited and more off the beaten track you might consider Trang, or some of the smaller islands off Ranong.

Phang Nga and Krabi are not "less visited" but rather very busy tourist destinations in their own right. If you want less visited and more off the beaten track you might consider Trang, or some of the smaller islands off Ranong.

Not sure the boat travel required would suit the OP, wife, baby, nanny in a Fortuner with 8 nights. But maybe....

If you and the wife like diving, get to the Similans via Khao Lak. You can speedboat daytrip it out there and let the nanny take care of your baby for the day back at the hotel. Tons of nice middle ranged hotels in Khao Lak. O.K. there is two nights.

From there a night or two at Khao Sok National Park.

Then head for Koh Lanta, many middle range hotels on Khlong Dao. Big nice beach, can walk into Saladan town for dinner or stay in your trunks and be sandy for drinks & dinner on the beach.

Enjoy!

Yes, I second the great sbk suggestion.

You and your family members would probably be revisiting Trang but Thai people pronounced it as "Trung ตรัง" many times thereafter.

The drunken Dutch (sorry) colonizing southeast asia at the time, probably during the stupidfied stage heard the pronunciation as Trung but were not able to pronounce the sound T R U N G, instead they did their best to come as close as they could, Trang. LOL

I happened to see some Thai immigration document countersigned by Dutch officers, issued for foreigners arriving at Gun-Tounge (กันตัง) seaport around 1898; the spelling of the names of passenger were so erroneous by current standard. LOL Gun-Tounge seaport is only about 20 minutes drive from Trung.

Well, within about 45 minutes drive from Trung itself, there are also many beaches and small islands where you and your family members could for a day or two, visit and also SCUBA.

Trung itself, as a township, is very much like Bangkok some hundreds of years ago. And everything is very friendly and reasonable.

I think you all will love it. pm me if you like. Hope you have a great time, wherever you and your family members decide to vacation.

Edited by mkawish