Need Help With A Recipe!

TechnosaurusRex

I live in Sweden, and there is a lady in my home town who originates from Thailand. She has a restaurant, where she sells this dish which is a very hot ground pork/beef dish. And I wonder what it is. Sorry about not knowing fery much about the dish, but I fugured that there can't be like tons of typical thai dishes which contain ground pork or ground beef.

I do know that she uses:

* Either ground pork or ground beef,

* Some sort of chili

* onions

* peppers

By the way; this dish is "bathing" in this quite cloudy/brown liquid. (Not a dry dish)

Please help me, even though I might seem like the biggest fool, haha.

Thank you!

This sounds like laap. The cloudiness comes from roast, ground rice being added to the sauce. By "peppers" I presume you mean chilli peppers - not the big, capsicum type.

Plenty of recipes out there if you Google for them. However, I can vouch for this chicken version http://www.shesimmers.com/2009/06/how-to-make-larb-gai-lahb-gai-laab-gai.html

(Chicken and duck are more commonly used for this recipe than beef and pork, though almost any meat is possible. There's even a mushroom version!)

Edited by AyG

I'm pretty sure the two previous posters are right, because as you say, using ground meat is quite unusual in Thai cooking. Also I imagine the ingredients needed for this dish are pretty easy to source in Sweden. Next time you're at the restaurant you should ask her. I love this dish with duck, and also when small pieces of liver are added, or actually with liver as the main ingredient. In the North of Thailand they sometimes use raw pork. It's also possible to find it with raw salmon in some of the more imaginative restaurants - interesting. If you enjoy this dish I'm sure you'll also like 'nam tok'.

• 2 weeks later...