Passport Validity

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.

I am flying to the UK on the 15th of March and returning to Thailand on the 28th of April.

I will be taking my 10 year old son who has both Thai and UK passports.

Both his passports are valid until the 1st of June.

I know some countries ask for passports to be valid for up to 6 months after departure.

Will I need to get new passports before we fly or will the expiry date be OK?

He wil use his Thai passport to leave and enter Thailand and UK passport to elave and re-enter the UK.

Both countries should allow you to return on an expired passport of their own country, at least Thailand does, and the passports are not yet expired. So you should be all right. But getting a new Thai passport only takes 5 days and costs 1,000 baht. getting a new UK passport in the UK itself is I believe cheaper.

There is no problem. He can enter UK with his UK passport, which does not have to have 6 months validity left on it. Similarly, he can enter Thailand with his Thai passport, which also does not need six months remaining validity. Actually, it wouldn't matter even if the passports were expired. He would not, however, be able to enter Thailand on a British passport with less than six months validity remaining.

The rationale behind the above is, for example, to enter UK you need only prove that you are a British citizen, as British citizens are entitled to enter UK without requiring leave to enter. A passport is only a document to establish nationality and identity, so an expiry date cannot take away the right of a British citizen to enter the UK. In theory you could enter UK on any document that establishes your nationality as a British citizen and your identity, whether valid or not. Remember, I say " in theory".