Taxis Taking The Long Way

dvc

On occasion I get taxi drivers who try to take me the long way to my destination. Can someone provide me with a couple of phrases that will tell the driver that, I’m on to his little game, and please take me the correct, (most direct), route to the destination I’ve nominated. Or really...any other phrases that may be useful in a situation like this.

PS: I can read and write Thai, so please answer in Thai script.

Yes อ้อม is the key word. You can say may tong pay om, may tong pha om, may tong krap lot om na... (ไม่ต้องขับรถอ้อมนะ)

Indeed the critical word is อ้อม which means to approach by a round about way like a ทางอ้อม..

I wouldn't use ไม่ต้อง in this sentence construct as it implies more an "it's not necessary" quality. I'd also forgo the นะ at the end, as that just is a useless particle to slightly urge agreement or to make the sentence less a command and more a polite request.

Instead I'd try something stronger like อย่าไปทางอ้อมซิ (DON'T go the round about way!). At the end I'd throw in a ซิ (or perhaps a สิ as I get those two mixed up in speaking, lol) to indicate this is NOT a polite request, but an imperative. Then I'd probably say ไปทางตรงดีกว่า which is just 'go the direct way is better'. I have found by using อย่า (DON’T) you change what you're saying from an indirect type of polite request into something that carries a LOT more unspoken emotive qualities than by using ไม่ต้อง (Not necessary).

It is my experience that the stronger you voice an objection to something the better results you often get. Telling a taxi driver it's not necessary to go the long way doesn't compel him to go the direct way, nor does it convey your displeasure to the overly circuitous route he's now taking.

Then again, I speak super blunt direct and to the point thai, just like I speak english. Of course not being thai I’m neither obligated nor bound to following their indirect, overly polite sentence constructs either. I need to get results, I don’t mince words, and if they’re doing something incorrectly, I certainly want them to know about it. Quite surprisingly, I’ve never ever had thais comment on the bluntness of my speech and most of the time I achieve my goal(s) too. Go figure, who-da thunk it?

Now you mileage may indeed vary.

In addition to the previous posts, why not make sure. When you are half way in to the taxi you say the destination,ไป ม.เกษตร When you are comfortably underway you define the destination ไปสระว่ายน้ำ รู้จักไหม ignore the fact of him not switching on the meter at all costs, if he hasn't done so he will do so now, เปล่าครับ ตามพหลโยธินประตูหนึ่งอยู่ซ้ายมือ หลังจากเข้าแล้วจะชี้ให้ดู

Words to this effect are designed to show him that this is a normal trip for you, and you are not prepared to be messed around.

Prepare before you set out, jot down some notes on what might need explaining about your trip and how you will do it.

Don't assume he is going the long way round, he may have misunderstood the initial order and is afraid to admit it, your silence is an indication that he is guessing correctly อย่าไปทางอ้อม is rather rude in this situation. Better โอ๊ยไปไหน เมื่อขับเอ่งไปไม่ไปทางนี้ Don't worry about precise use of words ขับรถเอ่ง for instance just getting some message across.

If you are in a place where taxis are not straight arrows I feel for you.

I know there are taxi drivers who do try this on. But I would not -always- assume that they are taking a different route just because they want to draw out the ride and get more money.   Not so few taxi drivers have a good picture of the traffic situation, accidents and roadworks ahead, and they may well be trying to save you time, as well. I am not updated on Bangkok lately, but there used to be a popular radio station where people called in to report the traffic situation in the area where they were, and it was often playing in many taxis I rode. It may also be the case that they do not know the closest way.   Just some food for thought.

I know there are taxi drivers who do try this on. But I would not -always- assume that they are taking a different route just because they want to draw out the ride and get more money.   Not so few taxi drivers have a good picture of the traffic situation, accidents and roadworks ahead, and they may well be trying to save you time, as well. I am not updated on Bangkok lately, but there used to be a popular radio station where people called in to report the traffic situation in the area where they were, and it was often playing in many taxis I rode. It may also be the case that they do not know the closest way.   Just some food for thought.

จส.100.0 traffic radio is still on the air. People also call in when they've left valuables in a taxi, had there car stolen, been robbed, etc. Hoping someone else who heard or saw or something

will call in to help. It actually works sometimes. One time a gal called in who had her gold chain snatched by a motorbiker. Someone else called in later and told them where to find the culprit

and he was nabbed. (that story was related to me by a Thai while it was on air, I'm not a fluent listener.)

It can be listened to at this link: a bit of static.

http://radio.truelife.com/

I know there are taxi drivers who do try this on. But I would not -always- assume that they are taking a different route just because they want to draw out the ride and get more money. Not so few taxi drivers have a good picture of the traffic situation, accidents and roadworks ahead, and they may well be trying to save you time, as well. I am not updated on Bangkok lately, but there used to be a popular radio station where people called in to report the traffic situation in the area where they were, and it was often playing in many taxis I rode. It may also be the case that they do not know the closest way. Just some food for thought.

I concur ---

5+ years living in BKK and a total of 2 bad taxi rides. Yes, I have had taxis go a longer route, but they did it to NOT get stuck in traffic that would have

1) cost me more in $$ due to the meter

and

2) wasted 2 more hours of my life.

My Thai partner seems to be of the same opinion. The scammer will be the one that tries to set a fare and not use the meter.

Indeed the critical word is อ้อม which means to approach by a round about way like a ทางอ้อม..

I wouldn't use ไม่ต้อง in this sentence construct as it implies more an "it's not necessary" quality. I'd also forgo the นะ at the end, as that just is a useless particle to slightly urge agreement or to make the sentence less a command and more a polite request.

Instead I'd try something stronger like อย่าไปทางอ้อมซิ (DON'T go the round about way!). At the end I'd throw in a ซิ (or perhaps a สิ as I get those two mixed up in speaking, lol) to indicate this is NOT a polite request, but an imperative. Then I'd probably say ไปทางตรงดีกว่า which is just 'go the direct way is better'. I have found by using อย่า (DON'T) you change what you're saying from an indirect type of polite request into something that carries a LOT more unspoken emotive qualities than by using ไม่ต้อง (Not necessary).

Yes, the key word อ้อม is the one that was missing from my vocabulary. Not anymore. I'm inclined to agree with you, Tod. In situations where I'm quite sure someone is trying to take advantage of me, (such situations occur less and less as my spoken Thai improves), I prefer the blunt / direct approach. If you listen to Thais speak when they're engaged in some type of service transaction, it's surprising how many are quite blunt with their language.

อย่าไปทางอ้อมซิ sounds just fine to me, (now that I have the magic word อ้อม). I try to adjust my speech according to the situation. Most of the time I speak in a polite and friendly manner and this is usually reciprocated. However, if, as I mentioned earlier, I'm being taken for a ride, (quite literally), I don't mince words and have little patience with crude attempts to extract money from me.

To those posters who suggested a softer approach: I understand where you're coming from, but these suggestions don't fit with my personality. I should add that the frequency of taxi rides that end up in a roundabout trip is very few…maybe once every couple of months out of twice daily taxi rides. But when they do occur, they bring out the brusque, no nonsense side of me.

It's a good job Tod Daniels isn't getting in a taxi driven by me... If you tried that tone, you be told where to go in no uncertain terms!

No need to be impolite with someone from the offset.

i.e You get in a taxi and tell them your destination followed by อย่าไปทางอ้อมซิ

Your Thai seems good enough for you to know this is very impolite.

I hardly ever use the word ซิ unless someone is really upsetting me.

It's a good job Tod Daniels isn't getting in a taxi driven by me... If you tried that tone, you be told where to go in no uncertain terms!

No need to be impolite with someone from the offset.

i.e You get in a taxi and tell them your destination followed by อย่าไปทางอ้อมซิ

Your Thai seems good enough for you to know this is very impolite.

I hardly ever use the word ซิ unless someone is really upsetting me.

You misunderstand my intent. My request for the phrase in question is simply to add to my vocabulary store for use on the off chance that it may be needed. I have no intention of using it as an opening line with every taxi I hire. What would you do in the following instance? You're taking a taxi to สุวรรณภูมิ airport. The driver pulls up at the toll booth and requests from me, (in Thai) two hundred baht. I read the sign next to the booth. It says: รถสี่ล้อสี่สิบบาท Are you still going to maintain your polite composure, or call him on it? Regarding the particle ซิ I hear this spoken by Thai native speakers from time to time. I've yet to witness an argument or heated exchange as a result.

ซิ is a particle that I use very infrequently, but it's nice to know it's there, just in case I need it.

I have lived in BKK for 5 years and my Thai is limited,but sufficient to converse with a taxi driver. My experience is +99% of taxi drivers will go a 'reasonable' direction, so, perhaps its ur perception that he is going the long way around. Just seems strange that u can read and write Thai and are experience problems.

I sit in the front seat, switch the Google map on on my I-phone and show it to the driver (pretending that I'm just happy to have it), engaging him in some polite chit-chat at the same time.

I will never know if this method works for sure but common sense says it will.

Like other people, it sometimes felt like he was going the wrong way but turned out he knew the traffic system far better than me.

blink.gif

I am surprised at how many different ways there are to get from A to B in Bangkok... seems quite often the taxi driver will take an unexpected route...

Sometimes it is worse, sometimes better... my thoughts are usually;

a) He is just in from Sakon Somewhere, and this is the way he knows... unless I am sure I can get him to where I want to go, better let him drive, and me passeng...

B) He has been coming to Bangkok from Sakon Somewhere for 2x6 month stints from the last 10 years... unless I am sure the way I know is quicker, and won't have traffic, better let him drive, and me passeng...

WRT the post above about the driver asking for 200THB at the toll booth... I assume he couldn't mean for all the different tolls??? From memory they are 30, 40, and 60 from Swampy to Suk... (been just over a year since I last made the run)...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I remember sharing a taxi with a Thai friend, a couple of years ago. At the time, my comprehension of Thai was very limited. At some point during the journey my friend said something to the driver. All I can remember was his, (my friend’s), tone of voice. It was direct, forceful, and spoken above his normal speech volume. When I asked him what had just transpired between him and the driver, he said, ‘he’s going the wrong way. I tell him to go straight’.

From the other posts on this thread I can see that occurrences of this type, (taxis taking a deliberately long route to a destination), are infrequent…even rare. Maybe I’m just unlucky. The normal route, (including one or two variations), of my daily trip by taxi is firmly etched in my mind. I know immediately if there’s any deviation from the norm. As I mentioned earlier, it happens infrequently and all I wanted was the right phrase to correct the situation. Now that I have what I need, I’m happy.