Why Did You Move To Chiang Rai

sceadugenga

I noticed a passing member got a sharp rap on the knuckles for asking where he could meet some female company this week and I was wondering how common it is in Chiang Rai. (Looking for a relationship).

Virtually everyone I've met or spoken to on the local forum is in a relationship and I was curious to know what came first, Chiang Rai or the relationship.

I like Chiang Rai but I doubt it would have held my attention for long if I hadn't met my Mrs first and I would be curious to know how many of us either came here with a partner, or met one while on holiday or business and decided to stay.

Any people out there who arrived single and decided to stay?

I suppose our passing member could have worded the request differently :(

I don't suppose Chiang Rai's the first drop on many peoples Itinerey. I guess most of us discover its hidden charms after discovery our other half's hidden charms first.

Sure to be some people who arrived Single though. I know a few.

I was the "single one" arriving to CR to check it up. Fell in love the second day and there was no alternative. Fourth day I fell in love again and then I went back home to pack my things and send them to Chiang Rai.

And both my loves have giving me sooo sooo much here the last 9 years!

And then I met my wife almost 6 years ago and I convinced her to move to me here in CR.

So we all are very happy, Prajim, Santiburi, Waterford and myself.

:):D:lol:

I arrived in CR single, had lived in CM for 5 months but wasn't really enjoying living there and as I only planned to stay in Thailand for 1 year I wanted to live somewhere I liked while here so moved to CR. I'd been here once before while travelling around Asia about 6yrs previously and didn't think much of it then but when I came back for a few days on a scouting mission I knew it was the place for me.

I'm now married and have a beautiful 7mnth old daughter so, although I didn't come here for a girl, I'll be staying put because of two!

It's an interesting point, most single men, including those divorced, like a bit of night life, and it would be fair to say that some even come to Thailand for this reason.

However, Chiang Rai doesn't really figure high in the guide books in this field... I once knew someone who red flagged all the places Lonely planet advised readers to keep away from :whistling:.

So what was the attraction for guys who did not come here because of an already formed relationship?

It's an interesting point, most single men, including those divorced, like a bit of night life, and it would be fair to say that some even come to Thailand for this reason.

However, Chiang Rai doesn't really figure high in the guide books in this field... I once knew someone who red flagged all the places Lonely planet advised readers to keep away from :whistling:.

So what was the attraction for guys who did not come here because of an already formed relationship?

Golf !? ....... and ofcourse the temples :D

Chiang Rai does have nightlife just not the same sort of nightlife that other big, tourist cities have and which often tends to attract male, foreign visitors. When I was single I would be out 3-4 nights a week but I would go (to quote Svenivan) 'where the Thais go' as these places are always busy with cheap beer, friendly patrons who would always invite you to join them and plenty of cute girls, a good night was always guaranteed!

What attracted me to CR was the mountains and beautiful countryside right on your doorstep, the friendly people and the laid back atmosphere.

I guess I was a big city boy, having spent more than 30 years in Bangkok, before moving with the wife to Chiang Rai almost 4 years ago. It was time for a change, I guess. I have always considered Chiang Rai a 'bring your own' sort of place.

Traditionally the best looking girls move away to the big city. Their prospects for marrying up in the village are limited. That said, I do know one guy who has gotten very lucky here in the Rai, though it is yet to be seen how things will work out.

Other guys I know do well here because their preferences run toward the kind of girl one might see featured in National Geographic. If it weren’t for differences in taste, the world population would plummet precipitously, I fear.

For me previously married with kids was never an option but it seems to work for some. Never would have met my wife here because she wasn’t living here when we met.

I had never been North , been everywhere else. Came here through a recommendation and fell in love with the place. Then met my future wife 3 months later. I loved the village life, the mountains , climate and that there were not many foreigners living here, now however the place is crawling with them , the secret is out.

I guess I was a big city boy, having spent more than 30 years in Bangkok, before moving with the wife to Chiang Rai almost 4 years ago. It was time for a change, I guess. I have always considered Chiang Rai a 'bring your own' sort of place.

Traditionally the best looking girls move away to the big city. Their prospects for marrying up in the village are limited. That said, I do know one guy who has gotten very lucky here in the Rai, though it is yet to be seen how things will work out.

Other guys I know do well here because their preferences run toward the kind of girl one might see featured in National Geographic. If it weren’t for differences in taste, the world population would plummet precipitously, I fear.

For me previously married with kids was never an option but it seems to work for some. Never would have met my wife here because she wasn’t living here when we met.

Well VF. what can I say; Food for thought as usual. :D

only one Guy has gotten lucky in your opinion :(

National Geographic Girls !? . You mean bare breasts and lots of gold bangles and bones through their noses . And married with Children, its as popular in the west as it is here I guess.

Don't know why the Stranglers , SkinDeep comes to mind. I'm gonna have to find some Meds for this condition . Can you recommend anything ?

The terminology used (not by me) was “primitive” as I remember, but I thought that a bit to “primitive’ to use here in mixed company. National Geographic was their attempt to give me a visual reference. ;)

What can I say?…Different strokes for different folks, I guess. And yes in my opinion, the Rai is not exactly know for being inhabited by the “beautiful people” of Thailand. They visit on occasion but don’t live here. :)

The terminology used (not by me) was “primitive” as I remember, but I thought that a bit to “primitive’ to use here in mixed company. National Geographic was their attempt to give me a visual reference. ;)

What can I say?…Different strokes for different folks, I guess. And yes in my opinion, the Rai is not exactly know for being inhabited by the “beautiful people” of Thailand. They visit on occasion but don’t live here. :)

Man, I see beautiful people here everyday ! :) Different Strokes ! Hallaluyah to that :D

I came here at the invitation of a female friend I meet in a hotel elevator in CM. The friendship turned into a must closer friendship and romance than she or, definately I, antisipated. If not for that chance meeting I would probably still be in CM.

I came here at the invitation of a female friend I meet in a hotel elevator in CM. The friendship turned into a must closer friendship and romance than she or, definately I, antisipated. If not for that chance meeting I would probably still be in CM.

Sorry Scorpio :D I can't help it :(

Jubby, did you sneak in the video at 00:49. neat trick B):D

Bwahahahhaa...dam_n that looks a lot like jubby at the 00.49 mark, perhaps a distant cousin :lol:

The terminology used (not by me) was "primitive" as I remember, but I thought that a bit to "primitive' to use here in mixed company. National Geographic was their attempt to give me a visual reference. ;)

What can I say?…Different strokes for different folks, I guess. And yes in my opinion, the Rai is not exactly know for being inhabited by the "beautiful people" of Thailand. They visit on occasion but don't live here. :)

Man, I see beautiful people here everyday ! :) Different Strokes ! Hallaluyah to that :D

I agree with Jubby, I see stunning local girls every single day (helps being married to one and living close to the two Unis I guess) so the really beautiful ones that have moved away must be something very special indeed!

I come to chiang rai first time in 1996

at this time i come with one friend that bring me here because was in love with one girl.

i live in phuket long time from 1992

but i like to travel alone with motobike all aorund south est asia.

phuket after the tragedy of tsunami became so famous around the world

and massive torusit start to arrive there.

my girl is not native from here she follow me in my trip in asia.

in phuket she fell a little like a fish outside the water because

we have no businnes and she not was involved in busness tourism with foreigner.....

what we really appreciate here in chiang rai are the 2 3 month could in winter time

we come to live here thinking was a good choise for winter saeason

when phuket is full of tourist and the could situation here give to us

a little stop of the really too much hot country.

i alwayes think phuket will be my first house

and chiang rai a holiday house.

but live more and more time here

make me sure to understand that chiang rai

can to be a very good place for live for ever

without think anymore about to bulding samething more in phuket(when i want to go i can rent samething)

is possbile to ger airplane for to there quickly o everywhere we need to go.

The province togheter with chiang mai province is one of the most beaufiful province in Thailand

chiang mai have the problem that is a really big city and the pollution is hight.

Only the sea is not present here but we have river and waterfall.

The mountain are lovely the city no offer too much but cannot say no offer nothing.

Tourist from bkk and foreigner are present here

and give to this city a little vitality in winter and agost.

I still love phuket but if i continue to make the same kind of live i do when i was young i will die soon.

In chiang rai make do think more slowly,cannot to be consiretd like isaan

where nothing is present

and still is one of the more fertile area in thailand.

Many think can say about this province but i no want became noise for mamy people.

scagedeunga i give to you a new idea for a new post like this one?:rolleyes:

bye

Edited by siriweith

Bwahahahhaa...dam_n that looks a lot like jubby at the 00.49 mark, perhaps a distant cousin :lol:

Yes, Indeed a Doppelganger. I'm the Doppelganger, he's the real deal .

No Story really Scea. But I could make one up.

OK, I met my wife whilst she was studying 'chemical and Biological Warfare' at Salford Uni. I couldn't resist her obviously Thai Chinese Hi-So Genetics with a hint of Issan. She's never been near a Bar, and her father didn't fleece me for years before dying an early death.

As for light stalking of VF, I thought I was cured but obviously not. I will try harder :)

I came to Thailand for nearly 2 years ago-a former friend invited me to live in he's and the wifes house,in Nong Chang(Uthai Thani).

i diddent know,that he's wife was calling Suphaphon 2-3 times every day in 14 days-she then lived in mae Sai.

Then one day,She and her brother arrived-and we where both lost,and still is.

We got a appartment there,but I feel that she was not happy-missed her family and the north.

For me,it diddent mather where I was,in this lovely country-so I told her-we are going to north-and ask her,where she want to live,up here-and she said-Chiangrai.

We lived the first 10 day here,in Poi-Pho(not sure,it is right)resort,while we wait for the appartment-and I think you all knew the rest, of this storie.

I must say-I have never had such a good life before in my life,in all ways. I am so happy every morning I wake up-just having a really good life,I think.

So thats how I ended up,in CR.

brianmarinus.

Have a good day-and take care.