Water Spinach...Safe To Eat Raw?

CMExpat79

For the past few months I have been purchasing water spinach...although 50% of the time I use it I would eat it raw, I have never got sick doing so ...however.....I have just had a quick look online about it as I was thinking about growing it, and I saw somewhere that it is maybe not a good idea to eat it raw as it could contain water parasites????

Does anyone have any info on this? ie should I always be cooking it?

thanks

I but lots of local vegetables, and use 'em raw in salads and cooked all kinds of ways. But sorry, I don't have any first-hand knowledge about water spinach, and whether or not a good washing can remove all the (chemicals &) parasites. It stands to reason though, that, if there is any risk in eating a particular vegetable raw, then just go ahead and 1) make your salads with all the other vegetables that you know are safe, and 2) cook your water spinach before eating. It's great sauteed with garlic (use the small bulbs/cloves for best flavor) and a spoon of oyster sauce!

Probably not much help I know, but good luck and stay healthy. krap! B)

Edited by Michaelaway

I have usually been eating it in the morning for breakfast by, cutting a wholemeal bread bun in 1/2, with a light layer of mustard and placing it raw on top of each half with a poached egg on top and is delicous...will ensure it is cleaned properly or perhaps looked for a substitute :( or cook it I suppose lol