To Mrs Lman - "Where'S Me Trewsers?"

lannaman

Over Christmas I received two very comfortable pairs of trews from the mrs, you know the sort that you tie from a couple of cords around the back . Well last week I gave her 500 bt to buy two more. Yesterday she came back with a heavy poly bag and said,

"That 500 bt you gave me, I got a pig's head with it."

It's all about receiving blessings for the New Year, TIT he thinks extracting another 500 from the wallet .

With great trepidation I await what might be served up for lunch. Well, there is some fruit too.

Happy New Year everyone.

post-42984-0-51239500-1294548922_thumb.j

post-42984-0-77580800-1294548941_thumb.j

Thats certainly a nice arrangement for the spirits !? or Bhudda ?

Not seen pigs heads offerings around here, its usually some sticky rice and rice whiskey around here.

The pig appears to be smiling. :)

I hope the 500 baht was well spent and you are blessed with lots of trews in the New Year.

your first name wouldn't be Donald , and your not from the Isle of Skye !? :)

Is your wife a local lass Lman ? just wondering wether it was a local tradition

Even with Google you guys almost totally lost me on this discussion (Trews, Trewsers, Brawn).

I had to buy a pigs head before my recent marriage and I recently found out that her mother bought a pigs head a while back to stave off bad luck since we were living together.

Thats certainly a nice arrangement for the spirits !? or Bhudda ?

Not seen pigs heads offerings around here, its usually some sticky rice and rice whiskey around here.

The pig appears to be smiling. :)

I hope the 500 baht was well spent and you are blessed with lots of trews in the New Year.

your first name wouldn't be Donald , and your not from the Isle of Skye !? :)

Is your wife a local lass Lman ? just wondering wether it was a local tradition

Trewsers = Pants to you good folk across the pond. Actually Scot's for trousers.

A bekilted Scot named Donald most likely without trews or pants (underpants to you good American friends) was inspiration for the song - "Donald where's your trewsers".

Lyrics:I just down from the Isle of Skye

I'm no very big but I'm awful shy

All the lassies shout as I walk by,

"Donald, Where's Your Trousers?"

Let the wind blow high and the wind blow low

Through the streets in my kilt I go

All the lassies cry, "Hello!

Donald, where's your trousers?"

I went to a fancy ball

It was slippery in the hall

I was afeared that I may fall

Because I nay had on trousers

I went down to London town

To have a little fun in the underground

All the Ladies turned their heads around, saying,

"Donald, where's your trousers?"

The lassies love me every one

But they must catch me if they can

You canna put the breeks on a highland man, saying,

"Donald, where's your trousers?"

Listen here:-

website: http://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics/Donald_Wheres_Trousers.shtml

PS. The splendid pig's head was carted off to Ban Don for a feast with Mrs Lman's family, washed done with plenty of Lao Khow no doubt.

Brawn - Def from Cambridge learners Dict - .UK meat from the head of a pig, cooked and pressed into a block

The present Mrs Lman (no3) is Thai Lieu and I think the Pig's head thing is common toThai Lieu as the previous Mrs Lman's (no2) family did the same thing.

Strangly, when Mrs Lman 3 and I first lived together before making it official, the family had a Pig's Head in our absence to which we were not even invited. Cost 500 baht. Marriage to Mrs Lman 2 had 3 pig's heads attached to bodies plus two buffaloes and gallons of whisky as well as a cash hand out to the grinning in-laws. Thus the current holder of title Mrs Lman has been comparitively very good value!

Ah. So its possibly a Lieu thing then. Scorpio mentioned pigs heads also, maybe his wife is Leiu too !?

I'm pretty sure we've had a rendition of 'Donald where's your trousers' already in a previous thread, or did I imagine it. :)

I think it was on request from Woralak , who like me, is also fond of Lieu people also. ;)

So can I assume your first wife was British and you gave each other time off in Leiu ;)

Ah. So its possibly a Lieu thing then. Scorpio mentioned pigs heads also, maybe his wife is Leiu too !?

I'm pretty sure we've had a rendition of 'Donald where's your trousers' already in a previous thread, or did I imagine it. :)

I think it was on request from Woralak , who like me, is also fond of Lieu people also. ;)

So can I assume your first wife was British and you gave each other time off in Leiu ;)

555!

Yes Mrs Lman1 is English. Nice lady but head more alcohol than brawn.

Incidentally - another definition of brawn is muscle,

adjective - brawny as for heavily muscled person.

If you ever get to see the Thai Lieu Festival at Chiangkham it is very spectacular, In Feb I think, many shapely ladies in the sarong costumes of their individual villages :blink: .

555!

Yes Mrs Lman1 is English. Nice lady but head more alcohol than brawn.

Incidentally - another definition of brawn is muscle,

adjective - brawny as for heavily muscled person.

If you ever get to see the Thai Lieu Festival at Chiangkham it is very spectacular, In Feb I think, many shapely ladies in the sarong costumes of their individual villages :blink: .

February you say. Mmm. I do like those girls in the little black jackets with the Red Cuffs. very fetching .

So you have 1,2 or 3 Wives currently ? :D

Unlike some people Lannaman only has one wife at a time, a recommended practice in my opinion.

Off topic, I've been curious why the English language books call the Thai Lieu referred to here Tai Lieu.

I've noticed that all the Tai ethnic groups are spelled that way, for example the Tai Yai (Shan) and the Tai Lek ("our" Thais).

Is Tai and Thai written the same in the Thai language? Or should Tai be pronounced Dai? I've never heard it said like that although Northern Thais do tend to be linguistically lazy. (Nearly as much as the English speakers :lol: ).

Edited by sceadugenga

Unlike some people Lannaman only has one wife at a time, a recommended practice in my opinion.

Off topic, I've been curious why the English language books call the Thai Lieu referred to here Tai Lieu.

I've noticed that all the Tai ethnic groups are spelled that way, for example the Tai Yai (Shan) and the Tai Lek ("our" Thais).

Is Tai and Thai written the same in the Thai language? Or should Tai be pronounced Dai? I've never heard it said like that although Northern Thais do tend to be linguistically lazy. (Nearly as much as the English speakers :lol: ).

Well good morning Scea. Didn't know you was so easily baited. I thought you usually put me on ignore. :)

I didn't know 'our' thais were Tai Lek . thanks for that.

I cant remember , I read somewhere about Tai and Thai, maybe I got it wrong, I think maybe they are totally different. Tai being the ethnic group for all these people that originated from Sipsongpanna or whatever its called , but Thai being something to do with being free or something. Anyway, I could have got it all mixed up :huh:

As for Lu , Luei or whatever, I know Thai Lue and Laos Lu and they are both Tai Lu.

Who can actually pronounce it correctly anyway !?

VF or maybe Joel would probably know.

Edited by jubby

There's not much that works for sceadugenga bait these days, a cold Leo on a hook was sovereign once, but I forsake strong drink now.

A salad sandwich with a bit of nice strong cheese in it might tempt me.

Maybe I should have added a smiley to the wifey comment. :)B);)

Sipsongpanna (Written Xishuangbanna in "English Chinese")is an interesting word, I believe it's actually four words, sip-song-pan-na or twelve thousand rice fields...

The Tai language group seems to stretch across a lot of China and south east Asia, I was talking to a Chinese lady in Adelaide once who said she was from Hong Kong/Guangdong and she was familiar with the term bor pin yang.

There's not much that works for sceadugenga bait these days, a cold Leo on a hook was sovereign once, but I forsake strong drink now.

A salad sandwich with a bit of nice strong cheese in it might tempt me.

Maybe I should have added a smiley to the wifey comment. :)B);)

Sipsongpanna (Written Xishuangbanna in "English Chinese")is an interesting word, I believe it's actually four words, sip-song-pan-na or twelve thousand rice fields...

The Tai language group seems to stretch across a lot of China and south east Asia, I was talking to a Chinese lady in Adelaide once who said she was from Hong Kong/Guangdong and she was familiar with the term bor pin yang.

Maybe a Bottle of Dark Lao Beer on a hook will tickle the spot. I know it would work for me.

Smileys seem to keep me out of bother :D .. I always like the postfixed .. in my opinion. :D Always like to here peoples opinions, seldom act on them :D

just had inspiration for a song. I'll sail that ship alone . Housemartins . I'll spare you the torture B)

hey, I'm not familair with that term, what does it mean ?

Edited by jubby

It's what the Lao say when they mean mai pen rai.

It's in common usage locally, most of the villagers around here speak more Lao than Thai.

Listen when they ask a question, if they put bor or boh instead of mai on the end of the sentence, that's Lao.

Edited by sceadugenga

It's what the Lao say when they mean mai pen rai.

It's in common usage locally, most of the villagers around here speak more Lao than Thai.

Listen when they ask a question, if they put bor or boh instead of mai on the end of the sentence, that's Lao.

Ahh. yes, the BOR thing. now I understand. Thanks for the lesson ;)

She would get a bit excited if you called her anything but pure Lanna. :ermm: She says the pigs head thing for Lanna people is simular but different. They even got a different name for the pig if it came from Lieu village.:jap:

She would get a bit excited if you called her anything but pure Lanna. :ermm: She says the pigs head thing for Lanna people is simular but different. They even got a different name for the pig if it came from Lieu village.:jap:

Tai Yuan tribe then maybe ;) ..... Pure Tai yuan if she likes :whistling: .... but probably from southern China also . Interesting stuff :D

Just wondering wether I should be buying Pigs heads Wholesale :D

My understanding was that Thailand was called Thailand as a concession to the Tai Yai, Tai Lek etc, who found it slightly irksome that they would now become part of a country previously known as Siam. Apart from not particularly wanting to be ruled by anybody, it was in the balance weather northern Thailand would become part of Lao, or Siam, and at that time Northern thailand was not uncomonly refered to as Western Lao. All this around 1910 or 1920?

The H in thailand was added to aid in transliteration.

Gleened most this from a marvelous book writen by the last UK ambassador to Siam, just before it became thailand. Unfortunately the book was badly damaged with bits missing. Shame.

But dont bet any money on the above, I would hate to be responsible if you lost it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. Maybe I intended to post in a diffrent thread. Cant really remember. Hope someone finds it interesting anyhow :)

Edited by greasemonkey

Was that Sir Josiah Crosby?

He wrote a book called "Siam".

Could be hard to find, I'll put my thinking cap on.

Interesting chap, after WW2 he recommended Thailand be treated as an enemy nation and punished accordingly, but the US were more interested in creating allies against the Red Peril.

I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. Maybe I intended to post in a diffrent thread. Cant really remember. Hope someone finds it interesting anyhow :)

Can't remember what the thread is about myself anyway. ;)

Interesting stuff .

Thats an interesting link Scea. Could well be the Man who wrote the book I read, but the text is not the book itself. I wish I kept better records of books and writers I read. Got about a third of the way through, so will read the rest later.

Seems the siamese fell out with the french, which in part is why northern thailand was declared part of the kingdom of thailand insted of lao. Back then the french influence in lao would have been stronger than in thailand.

Interesting to read the attitude, along the lines of the Thais being inteligent enough to follow the western way.

Another water soaked book I managed to read a little of was about the Teak Wallahs, who harvested Teak in Northern thailand and burma around late 1800's.

Really interesting the way they did it. Might try a google search to find out more.

Cheers.