30,000 Thai Red Shirts Rally In Bangkok: Police

webfact

Ah, OK, I get you.

Actually I think that the NPP need to make a decision - are they pro-democracy or aren't they. They would argue they are, because they care enough about democracy to understand that democracy cannot yet be the M.O. of Thai politics; at least not until all those Khwai Daeng have been educated to their own lofty standards. After all, what does "elite" really mean if it's not a testament to one's "quality"? I would argue they're not, because they seem to not believe democracy is capable of evolving through the elctorate's understanding of policies.

"New Politics" is a halway measure between democracy and dictatorship. As I say above, they need to choose one or the other rather than sit on the fence use their on-the-fence position as a precedent to improve "new politics" as needs require.

And it wasn't the NPP that doesn't support new politics, it was the PAD (further reason to separate the Yellow Shirts, PAD and NPP just as one should separate PTP, UDD and the Red Shirts - there are similarities and shared views, but different groups have different agenda).

I think that a strong democractic system should have extreme voices like the NPP and the Khattiyatham party (or the British National Party, for example). If the state of a nation has slid far enough to draw popular support to parties such as these, then this serves as both a warning to the mainstream parties that they are not addressing the needs of their electorates and as a platform of power for extreme people to counter-balance the non-action from those incumbent in power who are not listening to the people that voted them in. What's more, as soon as they gain any seats, they start forcefully promoting their policies, which to many sound like a recipe for disaster - so the democratic process usually means people who vote them in, who some might claim are uneducated because of their choice of political representative, get educated through their experience. That is democracy and, in my honest opinion, this cannot happen in Thailand as long as personalities as opposed to policies tend to sway a voter's choice of candidate. Why? Because the social and political arena in Thailand are based on paying homage to your immediate superiors - e.g. the pu-yai-baan, local kamnan, whatever. This is such an installed situation that going against the trend will likely cost you something, maybe even your life - and that is not a healthy environment for democracy. How can free and fair elections stand a chance with a situation like that?

As for what I think... democracy is full of holes but dictatorship doesn't work either, particularly when it's inflicted upon an already-democratic system.

Good post. Agree with pretty much all of it. Why do you think the Khattiyatham party are extreme though? Seh Daeng was extreme(ly crazy and violent), but his views about politics were actually pretty normal, the only thing was he wanted to put the amaat in their place. But what that means in practice, or what he thought it meant, I'm not sure. Can't imagine his daughter being quite as nuts as him though... she used to be PAD, y'know :D Also she's not a trained killed that used to be involved with notorious anti-communist death squads. So that's definitely a plus.

I'm sure that things are progressing in Thai politics though. People are thinking about politics on a more national scale and I think they're actually looking more at policies too. Pre-2000, I heard that no parties even had manifestos, but now they all do. Even though a lot of what they're all promising is exactly the same. But there's still a long way to go. I don't think it's a bad thing for NPP to contest, like you say, it's their right and at least they offer something different ideologically (not that I support their ideology at all), but it gets people thinking more about politics in itself, opposed to just considering which local faction/godfather will benefit them more etc.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The linked blog entry is dated June 26, 2008... prior to the even the formation of NPP.

It's not the platform of NPP, but it doesn't stop some from attempting to tie the two together two and a half years later, and why not?

It's a great sound bite....problem is, it's just not true.

Maybe you should read what I said in my reply to Pi Sek more carefully. I actually said that someone on this thread had noted that it wasn't NPP's policy, didn't I? So how was I trying to link the two? So what is their platform, anyway?

Yes, you did toss out the vague disclaimer... right after you expounded further on it and added a blog link, thus lending an air of validity that it was somehow still current after it had already been explained earlier that it was just a passing notion (even for PAD). :rolleyes:

NPP's website:

http://www.npp.or.th/?q=node/32

Why do you think the Khattiyatham party are extreme though?

Perhaps because the Party Leader of deceased rogue general Sae Daeng's Khattiyatham Party is Surapat Chanthima, who is a fugitive from justice with an outstanding arrest warrant for terrorism.

Edited by Buchholz

Good post. Agree with pretty much all of it. Why do you think the Khattiyatham party are extreme though? Seh Daeng was extreme(ly crazy and violent), but his views about politics were actually pretty normal, the only thing was he wanted to put the amaat in their place. But what that means in practice, or what he thought it meant, I'm not sure. Can't imagine his daughter being quite as nuts as him though... she used to be PAD, y'know :D Also she's not a trained killed that used to be involved with notorious anti-communist death squads. So that's definitely a plus.

Seh Daeng tried to register a party under his name, but the Election Commission didn't accept the name. After two years Seh Daeng decided on Khattiyatham Party. He put his ideas and views in this party and his daughter has gone on record to 'continue her fathers work and views'.

In the past, Seh Daeng correctly predicted multiple attacks on the Commander-in-Chief's headquarters, warned that judges would be assassinated, and implied at every turn he was behind armed resistance to the government. Seh Daeng's attempts to reconstitute the Red Shirt leadership into a more revolutionary group opposed to the reconciliation offer also indicates a rather extreme attitude, wouldn't you say?

Of course if you think all that is OK because "only thing was he wanted to put the amaat in their place", that tells us even more about yourself ;)

Edited by rubl

Ah, OK, I get you.

Actually I think that the NPP need to make a decision - are they pro-democracy or aren't they. They would argue they are, because they care enough about democracy to understand that democracy cannot yet be the M.O. of Thai politics; at least not until all those Khwai Daeng have been educated to their own lofty standards. After all, what does "elite" really mean if it's not a testament to one's "quality"? I would argue they're not, because they seem to not believe democracy is capable of evolving through the elctorate's understanding of policies.

"New Politics" is a halway measure between democracy and dictatorship. As I say above, they need to choose one or the other rather than sit on the fence use their on-the-fence position as a precedent to improve "new politics" as needs require.

And it wasn't the NPP that doesn't support new politics, it was the PAD (further reason to separate the Yellow Shirts, PAD and NPP just as one should separate PTP, UDD and the Red Shirts - there are similarities and shared views, but different groups have different agenda).

I think that a strong democractic system should have extreme voices like the NPP and the Khattiyatham party (or the British National Party, for example). If the state of a nation has slid far enough to draw popular support to parties such as these, then this serves as both a warning to the mainstream parties that they are not addressing the needs of their electorates and as a platform of power for extreme people to counter-balance the non-action from those incumbent in power who are not listening to the people that voted them in. What's more, as soon as they gain any seats, they start forcefully promoting their policies, which to many sound like a recipe for disaster - so the democratic process usually means people who vote them in, who some might claim are uneducated because of their choice of political representative, get educated through their experience. That is democracy and, in my honest opinion, this cannot happen in Thailand as long as personalities as opposed to policies tend to sway a voter's choice of candidate. Why? Because the social and political arena in Thailand are based on paying homage to your immediate superiors - e.g. the pu-yai-baan, local kamnan, whatever. This is such an installed situation that going against the trend will likely cost you something, maybe even your life - and that is not a healthy environment for democracy. How can free and fair elections stand a chance with a situation like that?

As for what I think... democracy is full of holes but dictatorship doesn't work either, particularly when it's inflicted upon an already-democratic system.

I'm sure that things are progressing in Thai politics though. People are thinking about politics on a more national scale and I think they're actually looking more at policies too. Pre-2000, I heard that no parties even had manifestos, but now they all do. Even though a lot of what they're all promising is exactly the same. But there's still a long way to go. I don't think it's a bad thing for NPP to contest, like you say, it's their right and at least they offer something different ideologically (not that I support their ideology at all), but it gets people thinking more about politics in itself, opposed to just considering which local faction/godfather will benefit them more etc.

Just to add, one also has to take into consideration that Thais are renowned for their short-term vision, especially with regards to business and politics (I didn't mean that as a racist comment, by the way, but I do understand that some might find it a little harsh). Add that to the very messed up situation - it's not a quick or easy fix - and there doesn't seem to be much incentive to be the one to stand up for change, possibly sacrificing an opportunity.

Khattiyatham party as extreme? Well, the changes you say they are proposing are fairly extreme, but in all fairness, I only have verbal accounts from Seh Daeng interviews and his books - and they are extreme "fight until the govt goes or until we die". The only mention of any policies I can find is Khattiyaa's statement that her objectives and those of the party are to "bring justice to society and serve the public" - I have never seen any elaboration of that. So it's fair to say I might need educating about the Khattiyatham party, and I doubt I'm on my own!

According to my method of classification of all these groups, I'd say that Khattiya was never a PAD member - she was a Yellow Shirt. dam_n hard to explain, that one...! But hopefully it helps us to understand why its hard for some people to differentiate the wishes of a violent few within the Red Shirts from the tree-hugging hippie mentality of some others present. They're not the same, they weren't even protesting for the same cause, they were just protesting at the same place and the same time.

Seh Daeng tried to register a party under his name, but the Election Commission didn't accept the name. After two years Seh Daeng decided on Khattiyatham Party. He put his ideas and views in this party and his daughter has gone on record to 'continue her fathers work and views'.

In the past, Seh Daeng correctly predicted multiple attacks on the Commander-in-Chief's headquarters, warned that judges would be assassinated, and implied at every turn he was behind armed resistance to the government. Seh Daeng's attempts to reconstitute the Red Shirt leadership into a more revolutionary group opposed to the reconciliation offer also indicates a rather extreme attitude, wouldn't you say?

Of course if you think all that is OK because "only thing was he wanted to put the amaat in their place", that tells us even more about yourself ;)

So you didn't note that I called him crazy and violent? In the interview I've read with him, his politics are extremely conventional. He's no Marxist or Republican. Hence I don't think consider his party (politically) extreme, even though his actions were. But you might know more about his political plans than me, as far as I know his platform was:

"If I win a seat I will undertake the following activities: firstly, in the judicial system I’d separate investigation power (prosecution) from the power of apprehending/arresting (policing); secondly, I would make the Thai army the best in the ASEAN region, at present we are number six; thirdly, improve national infrastructure, have freeways like in Malaysia and fast trains like Vietnam (must be in the south?), have International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000), or 3G like in Cambodia; fourthly, establish improved local tambon level infrastructure." http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/06/18/translation-of-interview-with-sae-daeng/

Sounds fairly normal, but otherwise the guy was nuts. Nowhere was I justifying his actions because he wanted to put the amaat in their place, I was just saying, I have no idea what that'd mean in practice (in terms of what he'd do if he won power), absolutely nothing to do with what he did in the past.

Yes, you did toss out the vague disclaimer... right after you expounded further on it and added a blog link, thus lending an air of validity that it was somehow still current after it had already been explained earlier that it was just a passing notion (even for PAD). :rolleyes:

NPP's website:

http://www.npp.or.th/?q=node/32

I expounded on it to explain what I originally meant by "new politics" when Pi Sek thought I was talking about the NPP. You're right it isn't a stated policy. So they're actually just run of the mill conservatives that believe in sufficiency economy (but who doesn't?) and so on? Fair enough. However, you'd still have to be wary about voting for people who've previously expressed such disdain for democracy. Sondhi is still at least, one of the main NPP backers, and he seems quite convinced it isn't right for Thailand. Or has he changed his mind again?

Anyway, I've nothing against them, hope people will reject them at the ballot box though.

You're right, of course. :thumbsup:

Plus, it's easier to focus on the daughter, who like Yingluck with PTP, feebly attempt to project a positive front for the parties than address the reality that the current leadership of this KP is on the lam from the law for multiple felonies.

Edited by Buchholz

Acording to my method of classification of all these groups, I'd say that Khattiya was never a PAD member - she was a Yellow Shirt. dam_n hard to explain, that one...! But hopefully it helps us to understand why its hard for some people to differentiate the wishes of a violent few within the Red Shirts from the tree-hugging hippie mentality of some others present. They're not the same, they weren't even protesting for the same cause, they were just protesting at the same place and the same time.

Right. I take your point. Yellow shirts are not exactly the same as PAD. Anyway, she might not have been a yellow shirt at all. She actually said she just went to check it out and hear what they had to say, didn't she? So she's open minded, surely a good sign. Not that I think her party will win a single seat. They're far more of an irrelevance than NPP!

"If I win a seat I will undertake the following activities: firstly, in the judicial system I’d separate investigation power (prosecution) from the power of apprehending/arresting (policing); secondly, I would make the Thai army the best in the ASEAN region, at present we are number six; thirdly, improve national infrastructure, have freeways like in Malaysia and fast trains like Vietnam (must be in the south?), have International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000), or 3G like in Cambodia; fourthly, establish improved local tambon level infrastructure." http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/06/18/translation-of-interview-with-sae-daeng/

Excellent, thanks. I agree the policies don't look that extreme (but implementation of them is hinted at in "How to fight against the amaat" from the New Mandala article). Maybe not so well thought out, certainly not well explained, but not extreme. See below for my off-the-cuff thoughts on these 4 policies...

1) Separation within law enforcement of prosecution from policing. I disagree. The police need to be reprehensible to the courts until they are able to prove that they can be self-disciplined, which I think we can all agree is a long way off. This must be something proposed to him by Thaksin, as an ex-policeman.

2) Improve armed forces. This is already being done and facing quite a lot of public criticism. However, I have no doubt this could be done better than it is presently with a triggerhappy nutcase in charge of buying the equipment!

3) Improve transport & communications infrastructure. Yes, we all want this. From what I gather though, it's corporations that is holding this up rather than the government.

4) Further localisation/decentralisation of public services. I've never been sure on this one - arguments both for and against, and different systems work in different countries. But I think that localisation is a step backwards until corruption is not a national problem - it is here.

begin removed ...

Sounds fairly normal, but otherwise the guy was nuts. Nowhere was I justifying his actions because he wanted to put the amaat in their place, I was just saying, I have no idea what that'd mean in practice (in terms of what he'd do if he won power), absolutely nothing to do with what he did in the past.

Fairly normal otherwise nuts sounds like "Schizophrenia". Would you trust such a man to setup a 'normal' political party with 'normal' political ideas? Especially with his proven past of violence. Yes, it doesn't tell you what he might have done, it only suggests and the suggestion coming up doesn't sound too good IMHO.

Fairly normal otherwise nuts sounds like "Schizophrenia". Would you trust such a man to setup a 'normal' political party with 'normal' political ideas? Especially with his proven past of violence. Yes, it doesn't tell you what he might have done, it only suggests and the suggestion coming up doesn't sound too good IMHO.

Well, we're talking about the present, not the past. Seh Daeng is dead now. I described his stated policies as fairly normal so if that's what his daughter is sticking to, it doesn't sound anything special. Pi Sek said it sounded fairly normal too. Why do you think his political party would give him an opportunity for more violence than he was already responsible for anyway? Unless you think he'd gun down all his opponents. Never know...

Well, we're talking about the present, not the past. Seh Daeng is dead now. I described his stated policies as fairly normal so if that's what his daughter is sticking to

His daughter has no official position within the Party.

The ascribed Party Leader, as stated, is a Red Shirt fleeing the police.

Excellent, thanks. I agree the policies don't look that extreme (but implementation of them is hinted at in "How to fight against the amaat" from the New Mandala article). Maybe not so well thought out, certainly not well explained, but not extreme. See below for my off-the-cuff thoughts on these 4 policies...

Indeed. "The last step is the most worrying: releasing the forces of khorng-jorn (กองโจร) or guerrillas. This is comparable to the French revolution, where the elites were completely killed. This would be uncontrollable." I think that happened on April 10th... although I don't think they were Seh Daeng's guerrillas, I suspect they were former special forces under the command of Panlop et al. But I've already discussed that in another thread. The guerrillas Seh Daeng trained, the so-called "MiB", came into play after that and they were a much more inexperienced, haphazard force. I wonder what would've happened if they hadn't have shot him though? Can't see him giving up too easily. Or would he have just disappeared? All water under the bridge now, I suppose.

Well, he won't do very well in the election then, will he? If he's on the lam. Better letter the daughter take charge instead, I'd have thought ;)

Well, we're talking about the present, not the past. Seh Daeng is dead now. I described his stated policies as fairly normal so if that's what his daughter is sticking to, it doesn't sound anything special. Pi Sek said it sounded fairly normal too. Why do you think his political party would give him an opportunity for more violence than he was already responsible for anyway? Unless you think he'd gun down all his opponents. Never know...

From the interview with Seh Daeng in the newmandala article to which you provided a link:

"There seven steps in the fight against the amaat, whereby we are currently at the sixth step which is the training, political education and organisation of the resistance which could lead on to open fighting. The last step is the most worrying: releasing the forces of khorng-jorn (กองโจร) or guerrillas. This is comparable to the French revolution, where the elites were completely killed. This would be uncontrollable."

The article has more examples of rambling, threatening, distortion.

No one who has these type of ideas I would trust to setup a proper, democratic party with a program to function and participate properly and democratically in politics and parliament.

(edit: add: and his daughter has gone on record saying to continue in line with her father's ideas and views)

Edited by rubl

Well, he won't do very well in the election then, will he? If he's on the lam. Better letter the daughter take charge instead, I'd have thought ;)

Being on the lam is no impediment to controlling a political party. Some square-head guy in Uganda is proof of that. ;)

She can stick around and be the not-so-despicable face of the Party, same as Yingluck, but just as most of the nepotism in Thailand, they are only faces.... with a surname.

Edited by Buchholz

The NPP was setup by PAD members, but even k. Sondhi withdrew from it if I remember correctly. The recent by-elections have shown a minimal support for these radicals. To say NPP = PAD is much less true than PTP = UDD.

Sondhi withdrew to focus on PAD, but he still supports NPP, of course. And he's on record as saying many times that democracy doesn't work in Thailand. As for NPP doesn't = PAD, not sure about that. PAD only attract a few people to their rallies now, and who's to say the majority of them don't support NPP? Sondhi is busy attacking the Democrats these days, so that's losing PAD support, but presumably NPP supporters agree with him. they just wanted Abhisit in and to keep Thaksin at bay. It's not likely they like Sondhi too much now he's turned on Mark. If they did, we'd see massive protests against this government, right? (Suppose we still might, but doesn't seem likely.) All of the NPP leaders are also PAD leaders, whilst not all UDD leaders are involved with PT. In fact the main leader now, Thida, isn't.

Emptyset

Do you have anything scheduled for Tuesday, January 25, 2011, around 8 am or so?

Hope you can tell us if the PAD gathering at that date could attract only a few people to their rallies as you seem to predict?

Also you comment that.... "Most people that joined PAD in 2008 probably don't consider themselves PAD anymore,...."

I am mighty curious just where did you get that info from, pls?

Also, that itself surely is also a very interesting comment which on Tuesday, Jan., 25, will either honor you as a sharp observer of the PAD movemtn or that perhaps

you ought to reign in your tonuge somewhat and ought to observe a little more closely perhaps.... :jap:

Any way, we are having load of fun watcing all these political repositioning and all.... B)

Edited by mkawish

The NPP was setup by PAD members, but even k. Sondhi withdrew from it if I remember correctly. The recent by-elections have shown a minimal support for these radicals. To say NPP = PAD is much less true than PTP = UDD.

Sondhi withdrew to focus on PAD, but he still supports NPP, of course. And he's on record as saying many times that democracy doesn't work in Thailand. As for NPP doesn't = PAD, not sure about that. PAD only attract a few people to their rallies now, and who's to say the majority of them don't support NPP? Sondhi is busy attacking the Democrats these days, so that's losing PAD support, but presumably NPP supporters agree with him. they just wanted Abhisit in and to keep Thaksin at bay. It's not likely they like Sondhi too much now he's turned on Mark. If they did, we'd see massive protests against this government, right? (Suppose we still might, but doesn't seem likely.) All of the NPP leaders are also PAD leaders, whilst not all UDD leaders are involved with PT. In fact the main leader now, Thida, isn't.

Emptyset

Do you have anything scheduled for Tuesday, January 25, 2011, around 8 am or so?

Hope you can tell us if the PAD gathering at that date could attract only a few people to their rallies as you seem to predict?

Also you comment that.... "Most people that joined PAD in 2008 probably don't consider themselves PAD anymore,...."

I am mighty curious just where did you get that info from, pls?

Also, that itself surely is also a very interesting comment which on Tuesday, Jan., 25, will either honor you as a sharp observer of the PAD movemtn or that perhaps

you ought to reign in your tonuge somewhat and ought to observe a little more closely perhaps.... :jap:

Any way, we are having load of fun watcing all these political repositioning and all.... B)

"Please be informed that ThaiVisa is an apolitical discussion forum, meaning that we take an unbiased position in regard to political matters in Thailand. As such, ThaiVisa will not permit itself to become a sounding platform for members to lobby other members to effect changes to or suggestions on political issues or Thai government decrees. This does not mean that members cannot voice a political opinion as ThaiVisa is first and foremost a discussion forum, but lobbying for any kind of action is forbidden."

forum members I had not posted for a long time & when I did post & gave my opinion I was insulted & called a crack head so my advice to you as well as the board if you disagree with a poster post some thing that may prove his post may be incorrect not call him/her a crack head or any other name so with sad regret I will go back in to seclusion & take a long vacation from posting again BTW I am a street kid from Brooklyn N.Y. USA I was to busy trying to survive then taking time out to be able to write perfect grammar on a forum which means nothing to me so correcting me shows your only trying to show off your skills have a nice day BYE

24 June Group rallying at Government House

BANGKOK, 17 January 2011 (NNT) – Supporters of the 24 June Democracy Group are now gathering in front of Government House calling on the government to cancel the oil excise tax, lower interest rate and control product prices.

The 24 June Democracy Group, led by activist Somyos Prueksakasemsuk on Monday staged a rally as they marched from the Royal Plaza to Government House on Ratchadamnoen Avenue. The group stressed that this protest was for the nation without any political agenda.

Protesters demanded that the government terminate oil excise tax in order to reduce price of oil by 7 THB/liter, pin LPG price for household use until the end of this year, revise the decision of the Bank of Thailand to increase interest rates and control prices of consumer goods.

The group, an ally of the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), also suggested that the government should collect inheritance tax and land tax in a progressive system in order to find income to support the creation of welfare state.

Protesters erected a picture of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva at gate 5 of Government House.

They threw eggs and pour vegetable oil on the picture as part of their protest activities.

The 24 June Democracy Group and the western UDD will stage a mass rally on 29 January 2011 to follow up progress of the issue.

The group will march from Imperial Lat Phrao department store to the 11th Infantry Regiment and head to another group in the western province of Phetchaburi.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-17 footer_n.gif

The government has been condemned by the PTP for it's populistic measures and now one of the red-shirt factions condemns the government and request more of the same? Damned if you do, damned if you don't :huh:

Edited by rubl

Protesters erected a picture of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva at gate 5 of Government House.

They threw eggs and pour vegetable oil on the picture as part of their protest activities.

nntlogo.jpg

This seems to me like a rather childish display...

nntlogo.jpg

This seems to me like a rather childish display...

At least they're not sloshing HIV+ blood all over the place this time.

Edited by Buchholz