Would Like Latest Advice On International Calling

tjansen

Hello,

I am trying to sort through the best and cheapest way to make international calls. I live in Thailand and will be visiting India for two weeks, so my main interest is in making international calls from Thailand. I would be calling primarily the US and Malaysia. My present setup is as follows.

I have a new Nokia 2730, with Bluetooth capable of 3G.

I have an ACER 4730 Laptop, with Bluetooth.

I have SKYPE, which works fine when I am on a high speed connection.

I am using DTAC prepaid for my phone calls and also to access the Internet from my apartment. This connection does not usually make for good SKYPE calls.

When I use my cell phone directly to call the US, it costs, I believe, 4 bt/min, using DTAC, dialing 004

My usage rate, if I had some cheaper service, would probably be around 10-25 hours per month to the US

I would like to avoid getting a TOT account in my apartment if possible. That would cost around 1200 bt to install and around 600 bt per month, which I prefer not to do.

I was reading a thread on TV forum from a few years back, and there was mention of Truphone and also Deedial. I could not sort out what all they were saying on their websites, so I am coming back here for some clarification or for any new alternatives. I am hoping for good quality calls, simple procedures, and of course, low cost service.

If possible, I would also like to get a system that can work when I am in India to call Thailand and the US.

Thanks in advance for your help. I always get good solutions to my problems on this site.

Tom

Just as the other poster states, use True "inter Sim." Two levels of service; 1 baht a minute or 3 baht, depending on your needs. Highly recommended.

Thanks to both o you or this information on True. I wasn't aware of it, and it does seem to be the best deal. I am still trying to figure out if there is some way to get rates in the same price range without changing my phone number. If not, I will go with the True option.

Sorry I wasn't more clear on the 3G mention. No, I don't have 3G available at my apartment. I live in Ratchaburi Province. I mentioned the 3G capability of the phone, not knowing if that might affect some option that someone had in mind. I am obviously fairly clueless in these phone calling technicalities.

Tom

Edited by tjansen