Thailand Has Potential To Become 'Detroit Of Asia'

george

Thailand has potential to become 'Detroit of Asia'

BANGKOK: -- Thailand could meet its ambitious goal of becoming the 'Detroit of Asia' in the future, as leading world automobile manufacturers have selected the kingdom as their regional production base, according to the Board of Investment of Thailand (BOI).

BOI Secretary General Sathit Sirirangmanont told journalists yesterday that Thailand is now a regional production base for almost all leading world automobile manufacturers, including General Motors (GM).

This is because the kingdom has comparative advantages in its geographic location and well-developed basic infrastructure.

There are also many automobile parts manufacturers located in the kingdom, which support local automobile production, Mr. Sathit said.

"The continued investment of US-based GM and other world automobile manufacturers in Thailand is a good signal that paves the way for the kingdom to become the 'Detroil of Asia' in the foreseeable future--its ambitious goal," he noted.

The BOI chief made the remarks after visiting a new GM automobile production and paint centre in Thailand's eastern Rayong Province.

"GM's expanded investment also helps stimulate economic activities in Thailand in many sectors, including the automobile parts manufacturing sector as GM has a policy to mainly use locally-produced auto-parts," he pointed out.

In 2004 and the first half of 2005, GM's purchase of locally-made automobile parts reached more than Bt 44.4 billion, the BOI chief said.

--TNA 2005-08-27

This is because the kingdom has comparative advantages in its geographic location and well-developed basic infrastructure.

i take it the infrstructure is well developed in corruption

the infrastructure road wise well :o

i take it the infrstructure is well developed in corruption

the infrastructure road wise well :o

I think it's because the Tigers and Pistons are having secret practice in Government House. Kmart is also planning on relocating here because Martha will fit right in and they're amazed that Tesco/Carrefour etc. only have to pay a starting wage of 5,000 Baht. Maybe I can get my shares of Thai Rung mounted... :D

They should rethink this "Detroit of Asia" moniker. There have been no good news from the real Detroit for many many years.

Apart from that - auto industry is the one Thailand can be proud of (at least in the company of Laos, Cambodia, and Burma).

What will happen, though, if China pushes for the same trading privileges as Asean countries with 5% tax on imported vehicles?

Only then Thailand will truly become Detroit of Asia.

"The continued investment of US-based GM and other world automobile manufacturers in Thailand is a good signal that paves the way for the kingdom to become the 'Detroil of Asia' in the foreseeable future--its ambitious goal," he noted.

Someone needs to tell these people that when entities that are almost bankrupt themselves make promises of investments elsewhere it is not a blessing but rather a curse in disguise. Just Google "General Motors Financial Situation" to get an idea wheta I am talking about.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand could meet its ambitious goal of becoming the 'Detroit of Asia' in the future, as leading world automobile manufacturers have selected the kingdom as their regional production base, according to the Board of Investment of Thailand (BOI).

I'm a little bit lost here. Hasn't the Thai government been proclaiming the eastern seaboard to already be the Detroit of Asia for many years now...? :o

Apart from that - auto industry is the one Thailand can be proud of (at least in the company of Laos, Cambodia, and Burma).

Yeah, but without a single indigenous automaker unlike Malaysia.

And does Thailand think Japan is not a part of Asia or what? They manufacture some 8 million cars a year in Japan (And a single Japanese automaker's global sales bigger than Thailand's GDP) and it doesn't call itself "Detroit of Asia".