Where Can I Buy Sod

BB1955

Kum Tiang plant market behind Tesco Lotus on the Super Highway between the roads to Mae Joe and Mae Rim, South side.

Yes,there are three places at this plant market,with different types of grass,you can also get bags of soil for the laying.

I was tempted to say that there appear to be plenty on this forum !!

Edited by gennisis

I bought the normal grass squares and they come with very little soil attached ; just a flimsy network of roots so you have to lay them almost the day you buy them in my experience. If you don't , they quickly turn brown and die. Doing it again I would buy the other type of grass-the one with broad leaves which lie horizontally rather than grow upright like the normal stuff. This broad leaved grass (if it is a grass) is tough,spreads easily and makes a consistent green sward. They recently layed down a large area around the serpentine lake in the grounds of CMU- the one surounded by pines and it looks great.Though I think most of CMU grounds are covered in this hardy type. I think it likes lots of water.

Edited by Asmerom

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BB1955,

A friend in Mae Rim with a huge estate recently had a very large lawn put in. He wrote: "Ya malay, - ice grass costs about 22 THB a square metre, the most resistant but not perhaps the most elegant."

He commented on the phone that the company he hired (Kam Tian garden market, behind Tesco Lotus on the Superhighway, as mentioned by many here) did a complete service that included: clearing all the existing growth, removing roots, stumps, etc., then preparing the soil (roto-tilling ? plowing with buffaloes ?), overlaying the prepared soil with whatever was best for the new grass squares to be put down on, and, then actually installing the grass squares, and some other post-intall voodoo.

What the average cost per square metre, including all labor charges was: don't know. Assuming that figure of 22 baht per square metre did not include install costs.

So, he didn't use a mix of the grasses mentioned here: one for shade, one for sunny areas, far as we know.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

If you are not having luck growing grass, and you are watering adequately, it could be related to soil quality. New sod will only look good for a while if you don't prepare the soil properly prior to planting. Whatever choice of grass you decide on, preparation is everything. Adequate soil organic matter is one key to a healthy, beautiful lawn, not needing excessive irrigation and frequent chemical fertilization. Most local landscapers don't get this, and many people scrimp on expenses, don't incorporate compost into the soil and pay the price later. Another factor is the mineral content and balance in the soil, and only a soil analysis and prescription amendments can address this factor. If it's important to you and you have the budget for it, go all out with soil preparation.