Hyde And Seek Gastro Bar (Best Burgers In Bangkok?)

cwldanny

After viewing that thread about the best burgers in Bangkok, I decided to play my part and try some of these burgers out.

Hyde and Seek Gastro Bar (Review)http://bkkgastro.blogspot.com/2011/01/hyde-and-seek-gastro-bar-review.html

BBQ Sandwich King (Review)

http://bkkgastro.blogspot.com/2010/07/bbq-sandwich-king.html

--------------

Hyde and Seek Gastro Bar

By Bangkok Gastronomy

Tucked off in a small corner right behind Plaza Athenee is Hyde and Seek Gastro Bar. The restaurant can easily be located from Wireless road (Just make sure you avoid the evening traffic!). I have heard about the place from a couple of magazines and online reviews, and there has been nothing but praise written about this "Gastro Bar."

Parking was easy and although we didn't make reservations, there was a nice seat next to the bar. Even on a Tuesday evening the place was packed with everyone from Expats, young trendy Thais as well as large families. This will be a review for Hyde and Seek Gastro Bar.

Front of the Menu

071-1.jpg

Sample of the Food and Pricing

079.jpg

Now from the moment we sat down, the friendly bartenders presented us with the food and drinks menu. I told the friendly man with a smile what types of flavors I enjoyed and within a few minutes I was sipping on "St. Tropez Smash" and "Fluffy Fiesta." Two light and fruity cocktails which were some of the best I have had in Bangkok.

078.jpg

Complimentary Bread and Butter

081.jpg

I did not plan on dining at Hyde and Seek that night, but lucky me! It was Burgers and Beer Tuesday. Apparently every Tuesday they grill up som of the "Best Burgers In Bangkok." Well, I'll have to put that to the test since I have tried some pretty finger-licking good burgers.

My Blue Cheese Burger(Can't remember he exact name, help?"

093.jpg

Mandatory "Half Cut" Photo

095.jpg

Gruyere Macaroni and Cheese

085-1.jpg

The burger came with a side of fries and was too large to fit in my (big) mouth. So I had to resort to using a knife and fork to slowly dwindle it down until I could properly eat it. The bun was crispy and toasted, the beef was juicy inside but seared and crispy on the outside and the combination of nuts and cheese made every bite a tasty one. My one gripe? The burger came cold to the touch. I was wondering if they had made it and left it on the pass for a good 20 minutes for it to turn cold.

The Gruyere Macaroni and Cheese was also well done, although a bit on the dry side.

The food here is definitely refined and you can taste the quality of ingredients that they put into the dishes. The atmosphere of the restaurant is also very laid back. There is outdoor as well as indoor seating. Perfect place to bring a date!

Dessert Menu

097.jpg

We had tried to order a Tiramisu but they didn't have any left, so we went with the H&S Chocolate Indulgence to end on a sweet note. The dessert could not really compete with some other establishments, it was really just average. The portion was small and the cake tasted a bit bland.

099.jpg

Overall Hyde and Seek Gastro Bar is a place where I could see myself coming back to eat in the future. They have large selection of cocktails as well as wines, the food is above average and the atmosphere makes you just want to lounge around all night. Best burgers in Bangkok? Not really. One of th better ones? Definitely. The entire dinner which consisted of two drinks, a burger, the macaroni dish, mashed potatoes and dessert came to around 1800 Baht.

Bangkok Gastronomy

------------------------

Hyde and Seek Gastro Bar (4/5) BBBB

(http://www.hydeandseek.com/)

That's a good review. I have eaten there many times and think the burgers are very good and the desserts average at best. Hyde & Seek probably makes the best drinks of anywhere I have been in Bangkok. I tried two fish dishes there and they were not very good but if you stick with the burgers and some of the other items it's a nice high quality meal. By the way, I remember some fried shrimp or calamari dish on the appetizer menu that I would recommend too.

Let's see - OP says he paid 1,800 baht (= US $60) for:

Two drinks

One hamburger

Macaroni

Potatoes

Dessert

Well, that seems a .... bit steep .......... :rolleyes:

I've eaten at Hyde and Seek a couple of times - but I stopped going when they dropped Hoegaarden from their beer portfolio. It is a nice upscale bistro - but a tad on the expensive side.

IS

That burger looked more like a painting that something edible. I mean... gourmet burger? That's like saying strawberry bricks. I just have trouble with the whole concept. Burgers (by their very definition) should be sloppy, greasy, messy, pieces of heart stopping artery choking, heavenly delight. And a $10 burger at that. wow.

Also went to Hyde & Seek after reading good reviews. Really like the place but the burger was so-so, have been eating a lot better ones.

And Hoegaarden is still/back on the beermenu, I had a 50cl last sunday for about 250 THB.

The best burger I had recently (last week) was at Home Run Bar and Grill. Angus beef, no bs fillers and cooked to my liking.

Personally I will be going back to Hyde and Seek again, mostly for their cocktails. The burger isn't "bad" though, one of the better ones in Bangkok I would say but definitely a bit pricey.

At the end of the day I don't think anyone will actually agree on where the "Best Burgers" in Bangkok are. Everyone has their own tastes. Like Kyb789 said, some people might enjoy their burgers sloppy, others like "a painting."

What irks me the most is when they construct a burger thats too big to fit in your mouth. Sure, it might be good to look at but you'll look like a complete fool trying to eat it.

The best burger I had recently (last week) was at Home Run Bar and Grill. Angus beef, no bs fillers and cooked to my liking.

Gotta counter that one James...I went to Home Run after a recommendation and was completely underwhelmed. What a soul-less place with such a basic menu of fried trash that anyone not wanting dollops of fatty food will make a run for it. Ok, sports bars = burgers and general American/Australian fried stuff, but I was expected good things from the burger...especially at European prices. I just had the normal one (250+ baht or something) and it was absolutely dry and nothing special. Not worth the lengthy walk down the soi to find.

Triple O (now gone), Greyhound and most other places I've had burgers at can better it. You had the Angus, which is better than a normal beef burger, but Burger King do one which is already fine.

Burgers are comfort food...something to eat when nothing else is around or you're in a rush or you've been eating salad and cous cous for the last week and don't feel guilty anymore. Going to a high class restaurant like Hyde & Seek and ordering a $10 burger just seems a waste of the occasion to me. 1800 aint what it used to be....prices are going up sharpish as the Thais fall for the marketing hype and long food names which sound posh. Last week I was up for trying Hyde & Seek but it was closed...so I went to Long Table and paid an absolute fortune for gritty fake service and ok food. Wagyu was nice, but 3500...£80...dam_n.

• 2 months later...

1800bht for a burger, some american over cheesed pasta, desrert and a few drinks? For a burger, 2 portions of chips (I ordered extra 1 by mistake) and 8 mai tai's (120bht buy one get one free) cost me 700 bht in Laos and it was by the Mekong. Burger looked 2x better then that, having to eat a burger with a knife and fork ruins the whole thing. Personally the restuarent in laos couldn't have made a better burger or cocktails (not much ice, heavy rum content). And it was under half the price, Bangkok - talk about over priced food and drinks for people with more money than sense.

For that money would rather eat in a decent Jap restuarent la carte or buffet and still have some change.

That burger looked more like a painting that something edible. I mean... gourmet burger? That's like saying strawberry bricks. I just have trouble with the whole concept. Burgers (by their very definition) should be sloppy, greasy, messy, pieces of heart stopping artery choking, heavenly delight. And a $10 burger at that. wow.

I've never been to hyde and seek but apparently you've never had a good steak burger. I can't imagine any place in bkk has them as the price of steak is so expensive.

But yes, there is such a thing as a gourmet burger :jap: