Thai Drivers License For Motorcycle

boldfj

I currently have a 5-year motor vehicle drivers license and now need to also obtain a drivers license for a motorcycle. Can anyone tell me what the motorcycle drivers license test involves? Do I only need to demonstrate that I can ride a motorcycle? Or must I take a written test also? When I obtained my initial passenger car drivers license, I used my valid drivers license from the USA to avoid taking any written or driving exams. I only took a color blindness test, a periferal vision test and a reactions test. I have since renewed the one-year Thai license I was initially given. So now I have a 5-year passenger car Thai drivers license. I'm hoping that this license will allow me to skip the written portion of the motorcycle drivers license test. Can anyone explain what's involved? Thanks.

I obtained a car licence with a straight 'swop' for an idp,i had to take the colour test etc, at the same time i applied for a motorcycle licence, but had to take a written test, and a driving test, which consists of driving around a circuit, negotiating some cones/car tyres, and then driving along a thin slightly raised section of concrete without coming off the raised section, test taken at pattaya

The test is a computer multi choice answer test in English. you get 1HOUR to do it. you have to get over 23 correct. Most LTD have a the road sign book in English.. read that for 5 minutes or so. paying attention to any signs you are not aware of and the parking regulations.

Then when you are reading the test answers do NOT try to use logic they do not have any. some are down right weird.. my favorite was the one with the tank and F1 car........ :whistling:

The test is a computer multi choice answer test in English. you get 1HOUR to do it. you have to get over 23 correct. Most LTD have a the road sign book in English.. read that for 5 minutes or so. paying attention to any signs you are not aware of and the parking regulations.

Then when you are reading the test answers do NOT try to use logic they do not have any. some are down right weird.. my favorite was the one with the tank and F1 car........ :whistling:

HAHA! That was funny... and the answer was a car without a windshield...

The test is very easy. Just look at the one hour video carefully and try to remember as much as you can from the video. You can retake the test once if you fail to get 23 the first time ...

If you base your answers from what's shown in the video, and what was in the review folder given after the video has been shown, you won't have any problems.

Swallow your pride, and always ask the invigilator when in doubt, or when something's not clear... (they have people who speak English assigned in the testing room)

Edited by RED21

May sound silly about the big question I have is riding a motorbike for the test..

I have a Thai drivers license for a car, I am on my 2nd 5 year one, been driving here for 7 years..

As I have both a car and a pickup, I decided many months ago to sell the car and buy a motorbike, in the car have done 9,000 km over the past 30 months, would be a lot easier to pop to the local market/shop on a motorbike.

The problem..... last time I owned and ever got on a motorbike was 37 years ago.... I am Diabetic and have very little feeling in my right foot [my car is Auto always left foot brake] so think my only option is for a automatic scooter... Think bike to buy is the Honda PCX.. or even the 150cc Lifan 'new' scooter, or the Sym Fighter if I could find out when they are for sale 100%.

My understanding I must take a test on one of the testing stations manual bike ? [they told me or come with my own bike :blink: they expect you to ride a bike there with no license??]

I will not use the bike to go further than around the local Villages, it will not be used to go on the main road.... I like to do everything legal so wanted the drivers license 1st then buy the bike, now wonder if it would be best to buy a bike 1st and get used to riding a motorbike again 1st ? then take the test.?

Maybe even then get someone with a motorbike license to drive it the 28 km to Nonthaburi Licensing place so I can take the test on my own auto scooter.?

I think it's better to take your own bike there, even if you get somebody else to ride it for you if you don't want to risk riding without a license. I didn't and had to use the rental bike, a Wave with no 1st gear or front brakes!

Buy your bike first, get a bit of practise and do your test, it's not a hard test to pass.

I think it's better to take your own bike there, even if you get somebody else to ride it for you if you don't want to risk riding without a license. I didn't and had to use the rental bike, a Wave with no 1st gear or front brakes!

Buy your bike first, get a bit of practise and do your test, it's not a hard test to pass.

Thanks,

I agree, buy your bike first and use it around your neighborhood to get used to it. It will build your confidence for the test. IMHO, you shouldn't have any trouble not having a license if you only ride around the village and not on the main roads. You probably know already where the police typically set up to check people on motorbikes. So avoid those places, obviously.

posts discussing bribes have been deleted

before the bike theory, you get to watch a movie. in addition study the signs as posted on the wall. all it takes to pass :) .

riding is on a closed field, most difficult part is to ride 30 meters on a 20 cm wide concrete strip. if you cant manage, you shouldnt ride at all :D

Often the requirement varies depending on which office you go to.

I got my one year motorbike licence just showing my Canadian car driver's licence, doing the colour and reaction test. Then upped it a few months ago to the five year licence.

That was all. So check the specific office to determine just what might be needed to convert one licence to another.

TEST?

I showed them my riders permit from Norway, they gave it too me after the famous eye color test and brake/perception test... I did my best to fail- but I could not...

I think what you have to do is different from province to province- so- all I can say is good luck...

I have yet to hear about a person getting to do a written or practical test apart from the eye test...

TEST?

I showed them my riders permit from Norway, they gave it too me after the famous eye color test and brake/perception test... I did my best to fail- but I could not...

I think what you have to do is different from province to province- so- all I can say is good luck...

I have yet to hear about a person getting to do a written or practical test apart from the eye test...

Yes, it is true that with an IDP or sometimes your home license you can get the Thai license without needing to do the tests.. however if you do not have a license or more relevent, motorcycle entitlement, then you will need to do the written and pracitcal test accordingly.

totster :D

It depends on the office. I had both a valid UK and Canadian license but because my IDP had expired they made me do the written and practical tests for both car and bike. However, the eye testing equipment was dismantled and lying in a corner of the building so I skipped that bit!

One last dumb question... What does the acronym "LTD" stand for? :unsure:

TEST?

I think the case you describe is if you want a drivers (Auto Only) License - The Motorcycle license is a little more involved...

One last dumb question... What does the acronym "LTD" stand for? :unsure:

LTD, Land Transport Department, but they actually call themself

DLT, Department of Land Transportation

• 3 months later...

Just got my motorbike license from the Transportation dept in Bangkok. Went to the one near On Nut BTS. Go past On Nut BTS and right after the new BTS station, the entrance is on the left. I have a Thai driver's license already but they still make me take the computer test and eye tests. The computer system skips questions if you press the button a bit too long so make sure you go back and check all the questions. After you pass all the exams, you proceed to the back of the compound where they have a test track set up. If you don't have a bike, you can rent one there for 50 Baht (option of manual or scooter). When you start make sure you turn on your right blinker since the road curves right. The first stop sign has a railroad crossing sign too, make sure you stop before the orange cone on the right and not at the stop sign (this is Thailand, I don't ask why cause the answer will not make sense to me anyway). You then proceed to another stop sign on a small bridge and then two more stop sign. The hardest part is going through a narrow strip of cones, then a sharp left U-turn, immediately followed by 5 slaloms. If you pass all this, then you have another 3+ hours wait before you get your 1 year temp license (I had 200 people in front of me...maybe its because it was Labor day that I went and it was so crowded).

LimeInCoconut; i live at onnut and have both europe driverlicense car+bike, on 1 licensecard. If i do test at onnut as well, can i use automatic scooter 120cc, pass test easily and buy myself a manual 1000cc? Just wondering as automatics are like 10 times easier to ride, and what about pass for manual bike while doing test on automatic? Kinda confusing.

Oh might as well get my carlicense there while being there. Thx for the reply. Ps u know which soi exactly?

Cheers

LimeInCoconut; i live at onnut and have both europe driverlicense car+bike, on 1 licensecard. If i do test at onnut as well, can i use automatic scooter 120cc, pass test easily and buy myself a manual 1000cc? Just wondering as automatics are like 10 times easier to ride, and what about pass for manual bike while doing test on automatic? Kinda confusing.

Oh might as well get my carlicense there while being there. Thx for the reply. Ps u know which soi exactly?

Cheers

There is no different in the license for automatic or manual or engine size. Pass the test and ride whatever you like.

At the test centre I went to they did make me do a slightly different car test because I was driving an automatic, I had to do a reverse around a corner instead of a hill start.

Don't forget to use hand signals when turning.

Why? I didn't and neither did the other 20 or more people I watched doing their tests.

...and you and those 20 other people got points deducted.

Why? I didn't and neither did the other 20 or more people I watched doing their tests.

Points deducted? Are we talking about the same country here? rolleyes.gif

Seeing as all 20 of us did the test at the same time I think if we made it back to the start without crashing then we passed the test, I don't think anybody was actually watching..

Besides, they explained to us before exactly what we should do and had somebody ride around the course to show us, blinkers were used but no hand signals.

Points deducted? Are we talking about the same country here? rolleyes.gif

Seeing as all 20 of us did the test at the same time I think if we made it back to the start without crashing then we passed the test, I don't think anybody was actually watching..

Besides, they explained to us before exactly what we should do and had somebody ride around the course to show us, blinkers were used but no hand signals.

Typical farang ignorance

I will say it again.

'Besides, they explained to us before exactly what we should do and had somebody ride around the course to show us, blinkers were used but no hand signals.'

Now maybe at your test centre they require hand signals, at mine they did not. Perhaps different testers require different things. When I went back the next year to renew my license I noticed the car driving test was being done by a different tester and was much easier and quicker, maybe as they had a lot of people doing the test that day?

As for your typical farang comment, whatever, unless you are my stalker I don't think you know enough to make that judgement.

TEST?

Sounds like I am the only dumb farang that has sat the written test, No there was one other westerner their also, and it was about ten years ago, very interesting because the test sheet was in a language similar to english (well sort off) so the hardest part was working out what each questions meaning before answering,Some how I managed to pass, then the practical driving test which was in a vacant lot near the test centre , and that was so much easier, I think the only way anybody failed the practical test was if they crashed. Oh !!!!!! it was in Pattaya ps anybody remember the old licencing station near Naklua?

I took the exam more than a year ago... as I recall there was a Japanese, an American, and a European that took the written exam with me. BTW, I didn't use hand signals either, but I saw my exam results and I got a perfect score :D.