Road Rage Shooting Wounds Thai International Airways Pilot

webfact

What kind of person in Thailand can afford a brand new Fortuner, carries a handgun and is willing to shoot it at strangers? who are driving BMW's!!!

This must be someone that is very sure of their ground like the son of a politician or top cop.

+1 ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before Christmas i was in a city in China called Ningbo ( near Shanghai )

and on more than one occasion i saw this same " attitude " displayed by SUV

drivers towards pedestrians ! :o They have these sidewalks / bicycle lanes

in China not meant for cars but it doesnt stop the drivers of say

a shiny new Porche SUV who comes tearing along this

lane at a ridiculous speed with the headlights on I can assure you

pedestrians have no rights of way- just get the hell out of the way :bah:

Not only in Ningbo city...it's almost in every chinese city..

. . . and UK city . . .

. . . and US city . . .

Yeah but you can give 'em hell back and not expect to be shot. Here you even have to give a happy horn or the buggers will get peeved.

Even if the pilot driving the car was emotionally charged (I would be also, in such a charged scenario), it's f*cked-up to think someone shot at him. Those shots were meant to kill. The pilot was lucky to survive with just a shoulder wound.

Let's hope the perpetrators are found and, if convicted, are put away for a loooooong time behind bars. No leniency, no early release.

I agree with you - and to be honest we can all guess who was in the SUV - we all know who the people on a power trip are - the ones who carry guns and think they are untouchable, above the law. No "normal" citizen would react that way - there is to many of these brain-dead bimbos around here who think because they belong to police, army or are otherwise connected they can do whatever they please and will at the end never be punished!

Of course the police can't find the car - must be incredible difficult to find a brand new Fortuner with red plates!

And for those who think it could not happen to them think again - I myself was involved in such a stupid episode a few years ago which could have ended differently if it wasn't for a lucky U-turn. I was on my way home one night when a car overtook me on the right got ahead of me and was approaching a traffic light on the lane going straight ahead.

I was on the left lane indicated that I would turn left at the crossing when suddenly the car on the right swerved to turn left in front of me, almost hit me - I hit the brakes and more as a warning honked the horn twice not sure if he was maybe to drunk to even see me- that was enough to get the driver of the other car into a rage I could not believe - he stopped - fell behind me and came up behind me flashing his lights like crazy - I tried to get away from him - he accelerated. I slowed down moved to the left lane he overtook and hit the brakes in front of me. I stopped so did he - his door opened - so I sped away - he again came up beside me on the left at high speed and opened the window and guess what his hand was holding - yes you guessed right a gun! I I hit the brakes was lucky that just at that moment a U-turn was coming up at the right - no oncoming traffic - hit the brakes again and turned the car around with screeching tires and sped off into the opposite direction - he did not make the U-turn he was to fast and on the left lane. I looked back and hoped the idiot would have tried the same u-turn with only one hand on the wheel he would have surely crashed his car into the greenery in the middle.

There is just to many nutcases around here - if I would have cut him off at the traffic light - I would have apologized to him as it would have obviously been my mistake - but not these bimbos here - they think they are in a position of power, often drunk, stupid, armed, endanger you because they have never heard anything about traffic rules - and get angry on top because they can not deal with a problem in a civilized way or apologize when they are at fault.

I often thought later what would have happened if that U-turn would not have been there that night. But one thing is for sure - there was not some average "Thai Joe" behind the wheel of the other car - he was one of those who think they get away with anything because they are above the law.

I think the pilot met just such an idiot - already over the legal speed limit they think they can just chase others out of the way as they please - I also hope they get them - but I don't think anything will happen even if they should be caught.

I would change lanes, let the SUV pass - without flashing the lights. Some people need a hug.

On the other hand, Chuck Norris would have not only flashed but speed up, rammed the SUV, and shot them with their own gun. Then go down to the market for some chimichangas.

Over the years my wife has only ever offered me one piece of advice regarding life in Thailand apart from the run of the mill stuff. She's not given to flights of fancy but she did tell me to try keep cool when somebody did something moronic on the road as they might be armed.

Over the years my wife has only ever offered me one piece of advice regarding life in Thailand apart from the run of the mill stuff. She's not given to flights of fancy but she did tell me to try keep cool when somebody did something moronic on the road as they might be armed.

Once I was driving on Bangna Trad with my Thai Wife, cursing at the bad driving. She complained to me that I should not comment on other people's driving. I tried to explain to her that the other drivers could cause a serious accident and kill us. She said this was Thailand and I should respect the Thai Drivers as they employ a different "Driving Technique". Just then, a large articulated lorry came roaring up behind me swinging from the outside lane to the inside lane and back and forth, trying to get pass the traffic.

I said, look at that bad driving he's a lunatic. She said, "No it is just a different "Technique".

At that point the articulated lorry swung from the inside lane to the outside lane, turned several somersaults and landed in the ditch in the central reservation upside down.

I said "Look at the that, that is bad driving".

She said "No it isn't, it is just "END OF TECHNIQUE!"

Thais......I love them..

Estrada

Edited by Estrada

A good pilot should be emotionally stable and calm, should demonstrate self discipline and be able to manage crisis situations.

I do not believe the pilot's behaviour in this situation demonstrates those characteristics and I wouldn't want to be a passenger on his plane if there was a catastrophic equipment failure.

A quick check of the departures from BKK show that TG had no passenger flights scheduled for 02:00. Perhaps he was a freighter pilot. Small solace in that though. Freighter planes can still fall out of the sky when mishandled.

I hope that TG management sends this man for a psychological evaluation.

It's strange how everytime there is a crime, someone will step forward and blame the victim. Like, it's all his fault, he was too rich or too sexy or his car was too good, whatever.

For heaven's sake, if flashing lights at a bullying Fortuner is enough to justify shooting with a premeditation to kill, then Good Bye civilization!

PS: Why is it always a Fortuner bullying other cars?

Notwithstanding the deadly aspect of this - the pilot is equally to blame - hope they get the road ranger though. And you see it every day - BMW traveling slowly in the fast lane and refusing to move over - wish I had a gun sometimes. ohmy.gif

I disagree. Trying to kill some one for flashing their bright lights is way over the top and inexcusable.

Did you miss something in the translation here Lancelot? The BMW driver (Thai Airways Pilot) was the recipient and then returned the favour thus the road rage compounded - Thai Vs Thai Thai style. So they are both equally to blame but one had the upper hand by having a weapon. Yes the shooter is the bad guy but the pilot was the buffalo for being allowed to be drawn into it! Then was responsible when it compounded further. He may not deserve what he got but he got it anyway. Bet he won't do it again!!! And I hope I am not in the same plane as him 'cos he may decide to buzz another plane that is flying too close to him! Tit for Tat.

Just before Christmas i was in a city in China called Ningbo ( near Shanghai )

and on more than one occasion i saw this same " attitude " displayed by SUV

drivers towards pedestrians ! :o They have these sidewalks / bicycle lanes

in China not meant for cars but it doesnt stop the drivers of say

a shiny new Porche SUV who comes tearing along this

lane at a ridiculous speed with the headlights on I can assure you

pedestrians have no rights of way- just get the hell out of the way :bah:

Not only in Ningbo city...it's almost in every chinese city..

. . . and UK city . . .

. . . and US city . . .

Yeah but you can give 'em hell back and not expect to be shot. Here you even have to give a happy horn or the buggers will get peeved.

I would say there's equal chance. Know plenty who've been physically attacked in road rage incidents in the UK. I remember Kenny Noy stabbing one boy to death in Kent over road rage. The US is likely way worse.

In my early dotage I prefer to ride the buses. Always hated driving, here, there, anywhere.

Why are you picking on the Thais over this?

You've obviously never lived in Los Angeles. If someone didn't tell me this happened in Bangkok, I would have immediately assumed this was LA. Actually, Thai drivers are extremely well mannered, the culture is not nearly as morally bankrupt as the culture in the US, and if you want to see drivers acting like children with guns this is not even close to the best place to view that activity. I have been here over a decade, and rarely hear of road rage leading to shootings. I can't say the same thing about the states.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's just that your opinion is wrong.

I do about 50,000 km a year in thailand and would say the driving of many is good but on the expressways often atrocious. Without fail everyday some speeder comes up behind and weaves in and out of traffic, or at night highbeam is kept on by the more aggresive. There have been two well publicised shooting deaths (one was a cop) in road rage incidents near expressways north of bangkok over the last 6 months, and several more where no one died.

Sometimes I see cars chasing each other if one party feels slighted :in short I would estimate Los angeles expressway driving is more considerate overall .

The statement is made;

Cut me some slack.

:lol: Thats PRICELESS. Just a few short posts ago you were calling for a Thai Airways pilot to undergo psychological examination after surviving a serious shooting situation. Now your asking for others here to cut you some slack because you engaged fingers before brain. :rolleyes:

I made an error when I relied upon the veracity of the information from the Nation. I quickly admitted it. My comments in respect to psychological characteristics are still valid. Unlike some people in TVF, if I err, I accept accountability and do not deny or attempt to blow smoke to cover up. Would you rather I pretended that nothing needed correction One cannot improve oneself or right a wrong if the attitude is to treat someone that i honest in the same manner as someone that is intentionally dishonest. That's the kind of attitude in the workplace that causes errors to be hidden and covered up. You just failed the officer's leadership exam and failed as a manager.

The statement is made;

Cut me some slack.

:lol: Thats PRICELESS. Just a few short posts ago you were calling for a Thai Airways pilot to undergo psychological examination after surviving a serious shooting situation. Now your asking for others here to cut you some slack because you engaged fingers before brain. :rolleyes:

I made an error when I relied upon the veracity of the information from the Nation. I quickly admitted it. My comments in respect to psychological characteristics are still valid. Unlike some people in TVF, if I err, I accept accountability and do not deny or attempt to blow smoke to cover up. Would you rather I pretended that nothing needed correction One cannot improve oneself or right a wrong if the attitude is to treat someone that i honest in the same manner as someone that is intentionally dishonest. That's the kind of attitude in the workplace that causes errors to be hidden and covered up. You just failed the officer's leadership exam and failed as a manager.

No, we would, like Neverdie said if you can read it, just be thankful if you could manage to engage brain and think. Before you write anything. Please try!

From this report of the sequences of flashing lights, torch use??? laser use, etc, its sounds like all concerned have the maturity of preschool children. The scary part is there are other vehicles on the road that could have been hit with stray lead flying around or had a accident due to the movements of these vehicles on the roadway.

I have seen this type of tit for tat on the roads and I drop back a distance and if it persists just pull for a cup of coffee and let them have their pissing contest with their 4 wheeled mode of destruction.

too bad police should be equipped with proffesional scanners that can smell anithing from narcoticts till gunpowder and keep those road blocks they had at newyear

just came back from bkk to mukdahan and not a single "theamoney collection"

but i felt safer on the road around newyear

1165 km in 10 hr

1. What happened to Thai jai yen?

2. What happened to Thai mai pen rai?

3. What happened to Thai ' tam jai'?

4. This guy flys a plane: 30,000 feet, 500 passengers, and loads of stress to handle.

5. He was on his way to work. What was his frame of mind that caused him to get involved with this?

6. Driving, this kind of thing happens all the time with Thais; speed up behind, sit on the bumper, flash lights. You simply get out of the idiot's way.

Maybe, and it is just maybe, it is actually better that he is grounded. I'm glad I don't and won't fly Thai.

If lights flashing gets this response what's turbulence going to do to him?

1. What happened to Thai jai yen?

2. What happened to Thai mai pen rai?

3. What happened to Thai ' tam jai'?

4. This guy flys a plane: 30,000 feet, 500 passengers, and loads of stress to handle.

5. He was on his way to work. What was his frame of mind that caused him to get involved with this?

6. Driving, this kind of thing happens all the time with Thais; speed up behind, sit on the bumper, flash lights. You simply get out of the idiot's way.

Maybe, and it is just maybe, it is actually better that he is grounded. I'm glad I don't and won't fly Thai.

If lights flashing gets this response what's turbulence going to do to him?

I read that as 'toe jam'.

Somebody posted, "and I wouldn't want to be a passenger on his plane if there was a catastrophic equipment failure". Let me tell you, you wouldn't want to be a passenger of ANY aircraft that suffered a castrophic equipment failure, becaue if it's 'catastrophic' you are most likely not going to survive, reagrdless of how good and stable the pilots are.

As for somebody suggesting pilots are not superhuman beings, I'm offended. As a retired pilot and I can't support that ridicuous proposition. Here's why:

What's the difference between God and a pilot?

God doesn't think he's a pilot!

There are all sorts of tests, including psychological, to determine a person's suitability to be a pilot, particularly of large jet transport aircraft, airline category. But being a pilot is not unlike being an actor, in that one goes into 'pilot mode' (I think actors call it 'in character') when on an aircraft and 'normal mode' when not on an aircraft, and I can vouch for that. Part of that is that the training required to get a pilot up front of a pasenger jet is so extensive and intensive, there is a feeling of 'nothing is too much for me when I'm in this seat', and 'I can handle anything that happens today'. With that goes a lot of confidence and a feeling of invulnerability. That degree of confidence, incidentally, is a required trait, tested for and sought. After walking off the aircraft up the aerobridge, that feeling is no longer there because it doesn't have to be, and there is no intensive training for just running your daily life. I have a barrister friend who tells me it's exactly the same with her. The instant she walks into a court room, her whole persona changes, speech, mannerisms, thinking.

I know there will be those who will post and say that many accidents are caused by pilots, and whilst there is no doubt that is sometimes true, it's usualy after multiple systems failures and the aircraft becomes unflyable. What isn't as widely published is how many aircraft are saved by pilots and their training.

I find the 'tit for tat' flashing of lights etc., just a little unbelievable; once maybe, but that it continued is not credible.

Garet, post above, you're absolutely right about that; it happens a lot in Australia, and shooting is not all that unusual as a consequence, and beatings or vehicle damage almost the norm.

Edited by F4UCorsair

What happened to "kreng jai"; consideration for others? Well Lancelot, the same is happening in Thailand that's happening everywhere else in the world. People are caring less about others and more about themselves. People are becoming infinitely more selfish.

To the poster who switches his ignition off and hits the brakes, that's a very dangerous practice, because you risk injury yourself by being hit up the tail, and if you turn the ignition just a tiny bit too far, you lock the steering and lose directional control. That's a bigger riskthan I'd be prepared to take. I switch on the hazard lights, and usually the following driver slows trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

My previous post wandered a bit off topic, but I had to defend the pilots' side. I thought he was pretty cool; after being shot in the shoulder and his BMW peppered with bullets, he managed to get himself to the 'office' and get help. Gutsy effort.

BMW's must be cheap in Thailand. I didn't think Thai pilots were paid enough to buy BMW's.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Morally bankrupt society decaying even further.

You think Thailand is the only country where road rage could happen? Wake up...

Never stated in my post that it was the only country this happens inblink.gif.

You must be American.whistling.gif

In Australia, this would be headline news and police would be all out to apprehend the perpetrator and they would face stern justice and a long jail sentence.

In Thailand, it will probably be a off duty cop or a local mafia that shot at the pilot and everything will get swept under the rug due to his connections or payments.

That is a morally bankrupt society.

I presume you live in Thailand katasyd??? If it's a 'morally bankrupt society' how do you continue to live there?

I lived in Japan for a number of years, and due to 'cultural issues', some of which may be termed 'morally bankrupt', that I wasn't prepared to live with, I left the country and a job that paid me more than I'd ever been paid previously, or since.

I agree that in Australia the wallopers would pull out all stops to find the perpetrator/s, and if apprehended they would face severe justice, but I think there is a lot swept under the carpet here too, and just how much we'll never know.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I presume you live in Thailand katasyd??? If it's a 'morally bankrupt society' how do you continue to live there?

I lived in Japan for a number of years, and due to 'cultural issues', some of which may be termed 'morally bankrupt', that I wasn't prepared to live with, I left the country and a job that paid me more than I'd ever been paid previously, or since.

I agree that in Australia the wallopers would pull out all stops to find the perpetrator/s, and if apprehended they would face severe justice, but I think there is a lot swept under the carpet here too, and just how much we'll never know.

Yes, i live here and have done for 7 years.

I play no part in Thai society and don't wish to assimilate in a corrupt, lawless one but i have my close knit group of friends and enjoy my life in the fun and sun.

I don't work here nor am i invested in any business here as my companies back home provide me with this luxury and i can pull stumps anytime.

You state that cultural issues caused you to leave Japan but i wouldn't let these things interrupt my lifestyle, i just ignore them and enjoy the comical state of affairs that play out in this country.

Just sit back and watch the decay.

I understand your position katasyd. I have looked at retiring in Thailand and would adopt a similar position to what you have re integrating, but I would find instances of 'morally bankrupt' conduct difficult, although perhaps not if I wasn't working and they didn't impact on my working life.

I presume some of your friends are Thais?? What iare their views of such reprehensible conduct? Do they treat is as just the normal way of life in Thailand?

Working in Japan was a very different thing from just spending time in Japan, something the racist Japanese would never permit, a foreigner retiring there. I suppose my professional experiences with the Japanese coloured my judgement of the entire people and country rather dramatically, even though I did have some quite close Japanese friends. even though they were close friends, they would sell me down the drainn if required by the company, even though they knew what 'my company' was doing was very wrong.

It was more misconduct caused by 'cultural issues' that caused me to bail out of Japan.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Reminds me of a story I read in the paper a few years ago. Guy A is filling his tank in a service station. Possibly he is waiting for his change. Guy B pulls in behind him & honks for guy A to get out of his way.

After about 6 honks guy A exits his car walks up & kills guy B with a handgun. The cops ask him "Why did you do that?" Guy A resoponds that he had to protect himself because he was in fear of his life.

The moral of the story? Be careful who you honk at.

& as an aside. I hope that road hog in his BMW learned a lesson. God did not grant you permission to always be in the passing lane. Move your dumbass over.

What happened to "kreng jai"; consideration for others? Well Lancelot, the same is happening in Thailand that's happening everywhere else in the world. People are caring less about others and more about themselves. People are becoming infinitely more selfish.

To the poster who switches his ignition off and hits the brakes, that's a very dangerous practice, because you risk injury yourself by being hit up the tail, and if you turn the ignition just a tiny bit too far, you lock the steering and lose directional control. That's a bigger riskthan I'd be prepared to take. I switch on the hazard lights, and usually the following driver slows trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

My previous post wandered a bit off topic, but I had to defend the pilots' side. I thought he was pretty cool; after being shot in the shoulder and his BMW peppered with bullets, he managed to get himself to the 'office' and get help. Gutsy effort.

BMW's must be cheap in Thailand. I didn't think Thai pilots were paid enough to buy BMW's.

Looking at the pics of the car on TV it looks it looks like a 5 series BMW (E34), manufactured between 1988 -1995/6.

Considering the price of Beemers over here, he was probably still on finance!.

Working in Japan was a very different thing from just spending time in Japan, something the racist Japanese would never permit, a foreigner retiring there. I suppose my professional experiences with the Japanese coloured my judgement of the entire people and country rather dramatically, even though I did have some quite close Japanese friends. even though they were close friends, they would sell me down the drainn if required by the company, even though they knew what 'my company' was doing was very wrong.

And as an observation, a large number of long term farangs make similar comments/observations about Thai's and Thailand.

You just failed the officer's leadership exam and failed as a manager.

I don't think so geriatrickid, you see I was happy as a NCO & never felt the burning desire to join the incompetent cake eaters at the upper ranks but rather remained at the coal face level making the real decisions & getting the real job done. I was often humoured by the morons from the upper levels who would also constantly approach me & seek guidance about the basics, seemingly they had been to busy to pick up on those as they were busy grooming their various job applications over the years. Suprisingly they all were still able to put their hands out for the higher wage each fortnight, somehow without their hand shaking :rolleyes: .

Anyway boy out of the Sergeants mess & back to you gate post duties :ph34r: & please remember the basics before storming back in here next time ;)

You just failed the officer's leadership exam and failed as a manager.

I don't think so geriatrickid, you see I was happy as a NCO & never felt the burning desire to join the incompetent cake eaters at the upper ranks but rather remained at the coal face level making the real decisions & getting the real job done. I was often humoured by the morons from the upper levels who would also constantly approach me & seek guidance about the basics, seemingly they had been to busy to pick up on those as they were busy grooming their various job applications over the years. Suprisingly they all were still able to put their hands out for the higher wage each fortnight, somehow without their hand shaking :rolleyes: .

Anyway boy out of the Sergeants mess & back to you gate post duties :ph34r: & please remember the basics before storming back in here next time ;)

I remember the story about a new probationary policeman, in his first week on the streets he is put in a riot situation, stood in a line of police men getting petrol bombed and bricked. anyway his bottle goes and he turns and runs, he finds a doorway and sits down trying to get himself together, another policeman walks up and says "pull yourself together". "sorry sarge" says the young police man "my bottle went". The other policeman replied "don't call me sarge, I am a Chief Superintendent", "sorry sir" said the young policeman, "I didn't realise I has run that far"