Nz Tourist Visa

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen and I am thinking of going to NZ in a couple of months to visit family for a couple of weeks and I would like to take my Thai girlfriend. Does anyone know if the NZ tourist visas are difficult for a Thai to get? Not sure if it would make any difference that I'm a UK citizen.

Thanks in advance

I have a thai GF who is studying in NZ, and she recently brought her brother out for a month holiday who is only 20 and studying in Thailand so does not have any formal qualifications. I handled most of the application for him and found immigration NZ very easy to deal with. If you have any friends or family that live in NZ that can vouch for you and your wife, that will also help.

I am originally from the South Island and unlike our friendly Aussie (only an Aussie has feels the need to make some stupid sheep comment whenever NZ is mentioned), would have to say that most Kiwi's are friendly regardless of whether they live in the South Island or Auckland where I now live...

Enjoy NZ, it is a beautiful country! best time to visit is anytime from now up to April.

I got a 1 month NZ visa for the wife at Bangkok, only sticky problem was had to pay flight in advance otherwise they would not grant the visa first (bit of a catch 22 that1).

Ended up asking for her passport back cuz they were dragging their heels but they gave it us in the end. found the embassy quite helpful and friendly.we had many documents at hand because were doing the UK visa anyway.

Most larger NZ towns have a fairly ok thai restaurent. Thai ingrediants are pretty hard to find so recommend you take what you can but make sure its tinned cuz airport are pretty strict.

Enjoy, its a beautiful country :)

I am going through this right now with my "good friend", for the purposes of the visa. The difference being, I am an NZ national. The key, as with any visa is to plan.

The NZ immigration website and the corresponding visitor application form will list every document you will need to supply.

Plaese remember, the funds required for each of you to enter NZ ($1000 per month if I recall of the bat, dont quote me on it) must be in HER account for her visa, and in YOUR account for your visa - my friend had his girlfriends visa denied for this purpose, even though they could see the money was in his account. Also, you cannot be seen to gift her the funds, so she must be given this in cash and deposit it herself into her bank. Immigration will check these things. They are strict on Thai Nationals since way back, which is a pity considering how we are treated so well by immigration in the Kingdom.

She will require a return flight booking prior to visa application, as Thais cannot leave to NZ without proof they intend to return. From both Thailand and NZs perspective, they want proof that your partner will not overstay - generally those with businesses, study inside Thailand, land, or a powerful family at home get visas first. Doesnt mean to say others wont get visas, though you just have to do everything exactly as worded in the application well in advance.

Your partner cannot bring any exposed fruit, plants or other eating products into the country without declaring them - a lot of what you delcare will be siezed. She can bring in virtually anything that is factory sealed inside a container, and MAF (the agriculture department) will usually be OK with it. You may want to bring some Singha and Chang, it is bloody expensive here nowdays.