Bbb Is Canceling Service In Phuket/Phangnga

Duangta

Hi there,

we just got a phone call from our Intenet Provider BBB in Phangnga. They told us that from 21.01.2011 Internet Services in parts of Phangnga and Phuket will be canceled. No real reasons are cited, we are on the telephone with BBB in Bkk right now ad try to find out more, but apparently the contract for the rented hardware (ADSL-Telephone lines) from CAT/TOT is running out.

Do you know more?

Any info for best alternative provider (speed and availability) in Phangnga at the moment?

Thanks

Duangta

Update: It concerns only parts of Phuket and Phangnga, not the whole provinces. Only Internet services are being cancelled, Telephone and Telefax is still available. Call to TOT: "No you can not transfer your number from TT&T (BBB) to us. You need a new number and internet from TOT with Fax service, yes we will charge installation fee and modem."

Update: It concerns only parts of Phuket and Phangnga, not the whole provinces. Only Internet services are being cancelled, Telephone and Telefax is still available.

Any more details?

On the face of it, this doesn't make any sense. 3BB has a huge investment in ADSL in Phuket (and, I assume, Phang Nga). They're making money hand over fist. Why would they abandon it? Further, how can you cancel ADSL in "parts of" Phuket?

I'm puzzled....

Update: It concerns only parts of Phuket and Phangnga, not the whole provinces. Only Internet services are being cancelled, Telephone and Telefax is still available.

Any more details?

On the face of it, this doesn't make any sense. 3BB has a huge investment in ADSL in Phuket (and, I assume, Phang Nga). They're making money hand over fist. Why would they abandon it? Further, how can you cancel ADSL in "parts of" Phuket?

I'm puzzled....

Simple, TT&T and 3BB are splitting. TT&T owns the lines. TT&T will continue to provide telephone and fax services over these lines. 3BB has to install new lines for broadband. They don't provide phone service, just broadband.

It has been happening all over Thailand for the past few months, not just Phuket. The more profitable areas for 3BB will be serviced first with new lines.

ADSL is not being cancelled in parts of Phuket, just 3BB is canceling less profitable areas. Installing a gird of new service lines is very expensive and takes time. 3BB is not the only ADSL provider, there are other providers (unless you are in a remote area).

I live 15 KM outside Korat center. I had 3BB(formerly Maxnet) with a stable 6MB connection. Originally 3BB said they were going to run a direct line to my house in a few months but the first week in Dec I got a call from 3BB advising that I had to cancel my DSL Internet service as they were not going to service my area.

The same day I went to The Mall and applied with TOT for service as True said they do not service this area. I was told 2 weeks to connect and 6 weeks later I am still waiting. Everyday I hear a different excuse or lie. Also they can only provide 2MB to my house.

So if you have 3BB AND TT&T telephone line check out other options when you get a chance because if 3BB cuts you off you will get no advance warning

It seems ridiculous that the equipment (DSLAM's etc) are already in place but cannot be used.

I live 15 KM outside Korat center. I had 3BB(formerly Maxnet) with a stable 6MB connection. Originally 3BB said they were going to run a direct line to my house in a few months but the first week in Dec I got a call from 3BB advising that I had to cancel my DSL Internet service as they were not going to service my area.

The same day I went to The Mall and applied with TOT for service as True said they do not service this area. I was told 2 weeks to connect and 6 weeks later I am still waiting. Everyday I hear a different excuse or lie. Also they can only provide 2MB to my house.

So if you have 3BB AND TT&T telephone line check out other options when you get a chance because if 3BB cuts you off you will get no advance warning

It seems ridiculous that the equipment (DSLAM's etc) are already in place but cannot be used.

I waited 3 years for my internet connection in Phuket, Kathu.

Always the same excuse from all the providers, no lines available !!

Even unofficial payments :whistling: suggestion did not help.

Until i witnessed the technicians installing a new connection box in front of my Soi.

The next day back to 3BB and after long discussions they admitted that they installed a new connection box and the next day i had my internet up and running.

So a few weeks is nothing in comparison. ;)

Edited by merijn

Well after waiting 6 weeks TOT has given me a new story. Now I am told that TOT will not run a line to my house as it is not profitable to them.

They said my only option would be a satellite. I declined a satellite because of it seems that most people on this forum have had a bad experience. Right now I am on a Aircard which seems slower than dialup.

Has anybody had any success getting 3BB or TOT to change their mind? Or is my only option is to move?

Well after waiting 6 weeks TOT has given me a new story. Now I am told that TOT will not run a line to my house as it is not profitable to them.

They said my only option would be a satellite. I declined a satellite because of it seems that most people on this forum have had a bad experience. Right now I am on a Aircard which seems slower than dialup.

Has anybody had any success getting 3BB or TOT to change their mind? Or is my only option is to move?

How much money do you have? I was told once when I was in your situation that I could have a dedicated line run for a price. Unfortunately the quoted price was pretty steep. I would have been cheaper to move.

Have you checked out other wireless options (CAT CDMA or EDGE/GPRS from mobile phone service providers)?

That may be your only option for a few years.

I waited 2 years and I think someone else in this thread mention they had to wait 3 years.

Try CAT but make sure you get the latest card. Booster antenae can also be used with this card if the signal is a little weak.

Update:

Now Khao Lak, Phangnga is without Internet service from BBB. The announced disruption of service for the 21st of January came 3 days earlier, since yesterday midday no internet via BBB anymore. Frustrated business owners, depending on fast internet lines are lining up at the local TOT office to get new lines in. Hurry up, the waiting period is now longer and longer. For most people it came as a surprise; not the BBB headquarter in Bangkok, nor the office in Phangnga town could give out information ("Oh, you don't have internet? - We send technician next week to check for you"). We were the only ones who received a phone call, maybe only because we had a professional package for longer time (and very expensive too), for our media business. To all the other BBB users the disruption yesterday came as a big surprise. Back to the stone-age of dial up modems and internet via mobile phones. (Of course NO 3G). The Thai telephone/media/internet services are an absolute laughing stock. All only because some people on the top can't scam enough money off. Every country in SEA is progressing, only Thailand takes one step back after the other. How far back do you want to go, Thailand?

Update:

Now Khao Lak, Phangnga is without Internet service from BBB. The announced disruption of service for the 21st of January came 3 days earlier, since yesterday midday no internet via BBB anymore. Frustrated business owners, depending on fast internet lines are lining up at the local TOT office to get new lines in. Hurry up, the waiting period is now longer and longer. For most people it came as a surprise; not the BBB headquarter in Bangkok, nor the office in Phangnga town could give out information ("Oh, you don't have internet? - We send technician next week to check for you"). We were the only ones who received a phone call, maybe only because we had a professional package for longer time (and very expensive too), for our media business. To all the other BBB users the disruption yesterday came as a big surprise. Back to the stone-age of dial up modems and internet via mobile phones. (Of course NO 3G). The Thai telephone/media/internet services are an absolute laughing stock. All only because some people on the top can't scam enough money off. Every country in SEA is progressing, only Thailand takes one step back after the other. How far back do you want to go, Thailand?

For the most part, I would agree with you, but if people are "lining up at the local TOT office to get new lines in" the waiting time should get shorter not longer. Problem is it takes time to run new lines (especially here in Thailand). Although I doubt the waiting time could be less than 6 months, but it would be much better than 2-3 years. I know it doesn't help frustrated business owners who depend on fast and reliable Internet service, but TIT.

Good luck! :jap:

I hope that everybody has better luck with TOT than I have had. Since 3BB unexpectedly cut me off I have been using an EDGE card. It is OK for reading email but too slow for much else.

This morning I went to the CAT office in Korat to inquire about CDMA. Really nice people and well informed, I was surprised. It looks like I may be able to get CDMA but because of the distance to the tower I may have to buy an antenna. The cost for the modem is 3600 Baht plus 790 month for unlimited usage.

I was ready to sign up but they are out of stock and will call me when they have a modem.

It would seem the simplest solution would be for the government to make TTT and 3BB come to an agreement and use the existing equipment because what is happening now is a real waste.

Best thing for 3BB to do is close the doors on their business and forget about trying to provide internet to anybody. There signal is the worst and their staffs service to customers is even worse. I switched from 3BB to TOT almost a year ago and couldn't be happier.

times change;

for over 8 years i had the ipstar sat at the house in Kamala, 2,750/month for not so fast

am now on cat cdma and speeds range from a low of 220 to over 1,000 but for 790 its not bad,

Use my nokia ais for connection when i need it and cat is down.

haven't had a land line in phuket since i left Patong in '95!!!

MY neighbor here as the triple B and they ran a line for him last year when he signed up. No idea if he has been cancelled or not.

MY neighbor here as the triple B and they ran a line for him last year when he signed up. No idea if he has been cancelled or not.

I haven't heard of any 3BB lines in Phuket being cancelled.

The incident in Kao Lak is horrendous. CAT EV-DO is probably the only choice at this point.

Best thing for 3BB to do is close the doors on their business and forget about trying to provide internet to anybody. There signal is the worst and their staffs service to customers is even worse. I switched from 3BB to TOT almost a year ago and couldn't be happier.

Lol Lol Lol, ditto, I gave up maxshite a year and a half ago and over to TOT and I couldn't be happier too ....yup they should just give up being an ISP and go and sell som tam somewhere.

:hit-the-fan:

I think it all depends where you are located.

I have 3BB in Kathu and I’m very happy.

Many of my friends went from TOT to 3BB because TOT was vey bad in the locations where they are living.

But maybe in other locations it is the other way around in where 3BB is bad and TOT is good.

Yesterday I went to the CAT office in Korat and signed up for the 790 Baht CDMA-EDVO. Came home, installed in 10 minutes. Downloading at 1.5 MB and web pages really load fast. I had 3BB(Maxnet) for years previously and got my full 6MB download speeds most of the time and was satisfied with the service.

I had a problem with my connection a week before they finally confessed that the would not a direct line to my house. Of course TOT jerked me around for 6 weeks and then said they would not run a line but would sell me a satellite system. So TOT would be my last choice if I had one.

Apparently 3BB cannot use TTT(Maxnet) lines or DSLAMS any longer and must run a direct line to each customer.

If you live in a crowded area you shouldn't have any problem but if you are off the main area you may have a problem. Best to call 3BB and ask if they are going to run a direct line, if not, best to start checking alternatives now.

I guess what happened to me back in november makes more sense now

I had a new 3bb premier installed to my newly rented house in chalong, phuket end of november last year. there was a line in the house already and everything was working but they still insisted on putting in a new line "because someone will come get the old one back"

I have been very happy with the service though. i have the 5/1mbit premier line though the "data rate" on my router says 7232/636 kbps. I can download over 700kB/s. I think there has been only one 1 minute disconnection in the 2 months i have been using it

lets hope there are no surprises...