Help With D-link Dsl-500t

buadhai

For some reason I'm no longer able to access the "Virtual Server" (Port Forwarding) settings on my D-Link DSL-500T Router.

I have tried this from IE on a WinXP Pro machine and from every conceivable Mac browser. I also get a JavaScript error: Object Expected.

I know I was able to do this before, as a rule that I created is still there. But, I can't even edit or delete that rule.

The first line below is the one that results in the error:

<input type="image"  src="../html/images/apply_p.jpg" width="51" height="52" border=0 onclick="uiDoRuleSave();">
<input type="image" src="../html/images/cancel_p.jpg" width="51" height="52" border="0"  onClick="uiDoCancel()">
<input name="image" type="image" src="../html/images/help_p.jpg" border="0" onClick="uiDoHelp()"></div></td> </tr>

Of course, this code is in the firmware and read only....

Any ideas?

Have you tried installing new firmware from d-link?

cv

Yep, had to install the latest firmware from the Singapore D-Link site to get the router to work at all. Just rechecked this morning and I am still up to date.

This is what I have: V1.00B02T02.TH.20040720

And that's the one they still have posted.

I'm using a LinkSys router as a switch as the D-Link only has one port. I tried eliminating the LinkSys to see if that might somehow be causing the problem, but that didn't work either.

this router allows telnet?

It does, but I solved the problem by doing a factory reset and reconfiguring. All I can think of is that some of the configuration data became corrupted and that this prevented further configuration changes.

Lately, these embedded Linux routers seem to be getting very flaky with the vendors pushing new hardware variants out the door faster than they can get the bundled Linux distributions bugfixed. On my D-Link DSL-G604T the firmware upgrade is something like upgrade kernel, factory reset, pray, upgrade filesystem, factory reset, pray, and then resume breathing. And the port-forwarding setup still does not work right. The problem is all the custom web server scripts they slap on, not the Linux underneath.

If you are into hacking, there is a project called OpenWRT which provides replacement Linux installations for a wide variety of these routers. It turns out that most of the vendors are using the same small number of OEM embedded system platforms with their own decorative plastic and maybe a tweak here and there to the attached peripherals. With the replacement (on supported hardware), you get a very general purpose Linux router on which you can install things like SSH daemons, web servers, etc. and define your own routes and filtering rules.

I've got my fingers crossed that they will finish the port that will work on a DSL-G604T soon. :o

I didn't know D-link had an adsl router/accesspoint running with a linux kernel!

Thought the only one around was the linksys wrt54G (or GS)...

Lots of software around, including openWRT which wast specifically written for the wrt54!

The more complex (and capable) they make that stuff, the more oportunities for trouble :o