Work Permits For Volunteers

Yesterday we were told by a Chiangmai legal group (ICO Thailand) that it was necessary to pay a salary of 60,000 baht a month to an essentially "unpaid volunteer" at our project, which is a registered Thai foundation that sponsors a residential school and children's home. I know of several other organizations that have farang volunteers, most of whom are either unpaid or receive FAR less than 60,000 baht a month and some of whom have work permits either through that organization or through another NGO. Moreover, I doubt that any international schools pay 60,000 baht a month to anyone in this situation either.

Also, we were told that, because our organization has been newly approved, it could take some years to get any permision for work permits.

Neither of these pieces of advice seem to agree with what I have heard from other charitable organizations. I know that it is PRESUMABLY necessary to have a work permit even as an unpaid volunteer and I would like to act legally but this is outrageous.

Thanks for any help.

Yesterday we were told by a Chiangmai legal group (ICO Thailand) that it was necessary to pay a salary of 60,000 baht a month to an essentially "unpaid volunteer" at our project, which is a registered Thai foundation that sponsors a residential school and children's home. I know of several other organizations that have farang volunteers, most of whom are either unpaid or receive FAR less than 60,000 baht a month and some of whom have work permits either through that organization or through another NGO. Moreover, I doubt that any international schools pay 60,000 baht a month to anyone in this situation either.

Also, we were told that, because our organization has been newly approved, it could take some years to get any permision for work permits.

Neither of these pieces of advice seem to agree with what I have heard from other charitable organizations. I know that it is PRESUMABLY necessary to have a work permit even as an unpaid volunteer and I would like to act legally but this is outrageous.

Thanks for any help.

Correct me if I am wrong but if they have to pay 60,000 baht to a volunteer then that person would not be a volunteer Correct ?

This part could be very well correct I remember when they established the Hellfire Pass facility there was all sorts of waiting periods before full approval was achieved.

Of course there are temporary measures that can be implemented and letters to cover the interim period can be obtained.

rhaugland,

Lots of disinformation out there. Operating a commercial company myself, I don't know much about work permits for NGOs. In any way, I strongly suggest you get some proper advice from someone with significant experience in work permits, such as Indo-Siam.