Exchange Baht To Rm

TAWP

Usually I exchange money at the airport when I become bored of waiting for my flight...however this time I thought I might try to avoid getting royally screwed on the exchange-rate (the diff feels higher at the airport, am I imagining?) and do it the 'good' way.

But what is that?

Walk over to a bank downtown before I fly from Suvanaphumi, or is it the same rate as the booths at the airport...or is the exchange rate in fact better at KL airport after landing? Or should one try to get into Chinatown in BKK and find a good exchange-agent...

What is your experience?

A note about exchange rates vs Suvanaphumi booths: They are all part of an official collusion (it is even written on signs at every booth) that dictates that there is 'no fee, same rate' at all booths at the airport - in addition to giving the worst exchange rate in the nation.

So avoid exchanging at Suvanaphumi airport - only use it for the basic and/or if you forgot to do it earlier and it cannot wait...

I flew into KL LCCT last week and was expecting an exchange rate of somewhere around 10 baht per 1 rinngit. I give them 7000 baht, and I expected to get 700 rinngit. This was at an official bank with no rates posted, so I expected the rate to be pretty close, and was hoping for actually around 710 rinngit. The guy starts counting out my RM and stops at 630. I then ask what's the rate and he shows me on the calculator that it's 9. That's a whopping 11% this bank is taking. Silly me for not asking a reputable bank what the exchange rate is and them not having it posted. BTW this is the first bank that you can see when coming down the escalators after clearing immigration at LCCT. Later in KL I see a rate of 9.448 which is better than 9, but still a long way off from what it is. There seems to be big margins on these two currencies when changing from one to the other.

@TAWP - read ThaiVisa!here SuperRich had very good press since long time;there were many threads about the value of airport changers in different countries.

You may discover,that what you want to change is not worth your time and taxi fare to SuperRich?Rates at the airport are not bad...You need simple calculator,or pen and piece of paper.

ps.trying to be more helpful.

ThaiBaht is little bit odd currency,you did not earn yours Baht?you had changed your home currency to Baht,right?Better change your home currency in Malaysia,so you will avoid double change.The best rates you will find

from money changers in Kuala Lumpur Sentral train station - the place,where you arrive from airport by airport train or airport bus.Some money changers around CentralMarket and ChinaTown also give good or very good rates.

Airports in Thailand,Malaysia and Singapore give reasonable rates,but HongKong - is ripp off,and it is hard to find ATM there,it is place where Travelex rules,it is good to bring HK dollars cash with you.

I've found that you usually get a better rate changing money in the airport/country that you are tendering the initial amount in. This makes sense because the exchange can always use their "home" money but they may have a hard time changing foreign currency once they get it, so it would be in their interest to offer an incentive (via good rates) to keep the money in the country.

Anyway, for what it's worth, on a recent trip to Malaysia I got a better rate THB -> MYR in Suvarnhabhumi than they were offering in KL LCCT, thus validating my theory. From memory it was in the low 9s in Thailand but in the high 9s, close to 10 in Malaysia.

So on an amount of 10,000 baht I avoided losing nearly 1000 baht, which is a decent saving!

As someone else mentioned, once in KL the local moneylenders (not banks/exchanges but small dodgy-looking shops often found in smaller malls, etc.) offer quite good rates but I wasn't in a position to use them that time with a connecting flight to get to.

ThaiBaht is little bit odd currency,you did not earn yours Baht?you had changed your home currency to Baht,right?Better change your home currency in Malaysia,so you will avoid double change.

I earn my salary in Baht, so there is only one conversion from Baht to MYR, hence why I asked for it. :)

ThaiBaht is little bit odd currency,you did not earn yours Baht?you had changed your home currency to Baht,right?Better change your home currency in Malaysia,so you will avoid double change.

I earn my salary in Baht, so there is only one conversion from Baht to MYR, hence why I asked for it. :)

Yeah,I have mental block,I am afraid,it is one way traffic for me - in opposite direction!May be I am sending too much..

You can not send from Malaysia,leave some monies in LOS!

The very best rate for you is available on land border,places like Pasang Besar or Sadao,where you can change peer to peer,cutting money changers.

And for Thai Baht rate can be very different in many places,look around.Money changers in Sentral Station are located near AirAsia office.,they are not small.

What are the charges for using Thai atm cards in Malaysia and other countries?