Last Elephants In Thailand

bangkokcitylimits

Very sad... frown.gif sadley.gif

In Thailand, Earth's gentle giants have become the victims of a brutal industry called Elephant Painting. While tourists may love the sight of these elephant artists in action what they fail to see is the shocking cruelty inflicted on the elephants behind the scenes.

A baby elephant reverses but can't get out. The ropes that are rapped around him merely tighten. A man jumps on top of him and hits him repeatedly with a hook. The skin around his trunk is broken and bleeding from the beating and his neck is raw from the tights ropes. "This is how elephants in Thailand are trained", says one Thai veterinarian. However, there is one retreat for the elephants. In the heart of the Thai jungle lies an elephant hospital. "I'm fighting because I'm talking on behalf of the elephants".

Sarita who runs the hospital is struggling to save the elephants of Thailand from the cruelty of mahouts and from extinction. It's an unenviable task; the tourism that feeds the cruelty is a huge industry. Elephant painting has even become an internet sensation and was featured in Oprah's magazine O. It's a lack of knowledge that has allowed this to happen, "How many people know that behind that photo the elephant is stabbed?" Unfortunately, despite the efforts of Sarita and others on behalf of the elephants, elephant painting continues to prosper and elephant numbers continue to fall. There seems little hope for the elephants of Thailand. Those who speak out for them are imploring the world to save these magnificent creatures from their torturers.

I have long refused to watch any elephant shows because I know without doubt that cruelty is used in the training of elephants to perform tricks - be it painting, playing football, walking on tightropes (yes that actually happens in the night safari at Chiang Mai) or just kneeling, or standing up on their hind legs and just being generally obedient.

It has been going on for years and as the article points out, is now getting worse due to the need of the mahouts to make a living..

I'm sorry; I have great respect for many Thais, but kindness and true love of animals is just not in most Thai's make up. They see nothing wrong with inflicting pain and cruelty on animals in order to train them. They will even do it to your dog if you are foolish enough to send it to one of the Thai dog training schools.

It is quite strange in a country where over 90% of the population is Buddhist and they are supposed to have a love and empathy with all living things....

Maybe someone can explain it to me?

So are you accusing the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre near Lampang of cruelty to Elephants? That seems to be the place where Elephant painting originated in Thailand. They also put on a show for visitors. It was my understanding that this centre was for the benefit of elephants. They also have a hospital for elephants there. OP, who are you quoting? Please be a bit more specific as to who is being cruel to elephants & who is looking after the elephants. You appear to be tarring all with the same brush......

I have long refused to watch any elephant shows because I know without doubt that cruelty is used in the training of elephants to perform tricks - be it painting, playing football, walking on tightropes (yes that actually happens in the night safari at Chiang Mai) or just kneeling, or standing up on their hind legs and just being generally obedient.

It has been going on for years and as the article points out, is now getting worse due to the need of the mahouts to make a living..

I'm sorry; I have great respect for many Thais, but kindness and true love of animals is just not in most Thai's make up. They see nothing wrong with inflicting pain and cruelty on animals in order to train them. They will even do it to your dog if you are foolish enough to send it to one of the Thai dog training schools.

It is quite strange in a country where over 90% of the population is Buddhist and they are supposed to have a love and empathy with all living things....

Maybe someone can explain it to me?

Going to touch this quickly and get off the topic - life, in general, is cheap and given little worth here. If a person breaks into your home here you kill them and it is justified and forgotten. (If you are a Thai homeowner that is.B) The farang protecting himself would not have the same law applied to him.) If a Myanmar person is killed in an accident or otherwise, there would be little empathy by any Thai person. Here is Maesot, there is a boy who walks around all day on the hot pavement (the elephant foot is very similar to the human foot as far as surface temperature sensation etc...) with his 3 year old elephant. No water or food is given him except for bamboo shoots given him when people buy baggies from the boy to feed the elephant. He is kept hungry so that he will readily eat the shoots when the boy finds a person willing to pay. You can see the welts on his head from the backside of the hook being used to whack his head. I complained to a policeman who was nearby, and he went over and made a show of yelling at the boy and making him take the elephant out of the area we were in. Big deal. The Thai people, however, are not bothered by what the boy is doing in the least. I do not understand Budhism, but this is not in line with the mantra it would seem. Nothing we can change anyway.