New Thai Law On Alcohol Level While Driving Enforced In February

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clueless about the passenger bit though.... However, in Texas which has the 'open container' law, if a car is pulled over and open booze bottle or can is found, both driver AND imbibing passenger get citations. Maybe that's their ultimate plan here? Targeting public intoxication maybe?

The Texas law replaced the one which prohibited only the driver from having an open container because, predictably enough, when pulled over the drivers were just handing their beers over to the passenger before the officer approached the cab of their pick-em-up! laugh.gif

Enforced is the key word! In 8 years living here and driving, I've never ever once come across an alcohol check point. Likewise speeding camera. Helmets, safety belts and drug check points yes, but the two biggest causes of road accidents? Never.

..I've been here 8 years too and driven on many highways through many provinces and seen plenty of radar traps, speed cameras, alcohol check-points..depends if you're there when they're there!!

They are starting to pop up around Bangkok and for sure here in Pattaya. They've had checkpoints for years, but now they are starting to get serious...I think.

My good friend has a hiso Thai friend. They were out partying near RCA and went through a checkpoint. Being hiso, he was allowed to park his car and not have it towed. But they had to take a taxi home and come back and pick up his car the next day. I also have a relative who was stopped near Khorat at a checkpoint. It was a 8000B fine.

Enforced is the key word! In 8 years living here and driving, I've never ever once come across an alcohol check point. Likewise speeding camera. Helmets, safety belts and drug check points yes, but the two biggest causes of road accidents? Never.

..I've been here 8 years too and driven on many highways through many provinces and seen plenty of radar traps, speed cameras, alcohol check-points..depends if you're there when they're there!!

Radar traps in LOS?! blink.gifYikes! THought LOS was a walk in the park for high speed touring. Where do they provide this 'public service', motorways, highways or city roads, and are they in cars/trucks or just standing by the road holding a radar gun? Need to keep a look-out... not advocating unsafe driving, but the posted limits can be daft.

Wise up folks.

Thailand is finally going to enforce a no drinking and driving rule. :D

Don't anyone freak out or anything.

Regardless of the word of the law there will be no problems with passengers drinking as long as the driver is sober.

Mark my words....

I remember around '05 '06 Riding to Ban Had Lek a few times on a motorbike for visa run nobody

thought an evil thought if I pulled into Jiffy Jet at 3:30AM and bought a Heineken.

The cute girl would open it for me with a smile and I would walk outside with

the open Heineken through the front door and walk to the marble tables and drink

my Heineken. I think even the police would pull by and wave as they drove in. Locals

of the area were always very friendly and very curious that a falang could be so far from Pattaya

that late at night on a bike by themself headed for the border. That seemed the only concern.

Beer out in the open was not an evil and was not thought of as something to be punished.

I don't think this over absorbed westernistic punishment trend for beer or booze is as relevant

as they think for curbing traffic accidents. I mean people don't crash on cue the second they achieve .08

Driver level and agressive speed without matching skill probably could be claimed for most wrecks.

That was the tail end of a long era for Thailand of things being laid back and relaxed

ala the tropics. These big brother is watching type of laws begins the new era of

paranoia and terroristic backwatching. It probably seeds more crime than it prevents.

Or if there isn't more crime then it just seems like it because you think in terms of

always watching out for it.

Except motorcyle, taxi and public van drivers???? Cool, so they can continue to drink. That's awesome!! It should be no driver can be drunk and forget about the passengers. What's wrong with giving a drunk a lift home instead of letting him drive home by himself?! It just doesn't make sense!

Expect what they mean is all public transport drivers cannot drink but those passengers drunk in taxis, motorcycle taxis or minibuses are exempted. If you're a passenger pissed on the Skytrain or public bus, being a pain to the masses (drunken farangs coming off of Sikandvomit road) then look out.

just Bangkok then?

Expect what they mean is all public transport drivers cannot drink but those passengers drunk in taxis, motorcycle taxis or minibuses are exempted. If you're a passenger pissed on the Skytrain or public bus, being a pain to the masses (drunken farangs coming off of Sikandvomit road) then look out.

Thanks for the good laugh. I really have not heard that description before - (Sikandvomit road). LOVE it. :lol:

Wise up folks.

Thailand is finally going to enforce a no drinking and driving rule. :D

Don't anyone freak out or anything.

Regardless of the word of the law there will be no problems with passengers drinking as long as the driver is sober.

Mark my words....

Finally a post written by someone sensible. Of course the meaning of the stricter law is just to enforce the already existing laws,

No drunks on public transports (buses and BTS/MRT)

Zero tolerance for drivers of any transport. (This is a stricted limit than previous)

0.5 max limit for private drivers. (This is also a stricter limit)

Passengers are exempted from the limit.

This IS after LOS and all of us not holding a Thai passport are guests.

Act accordingly!

I remember around '05 '06 Riding to Ban Had Lek a few times on a motorbike for visa run nobody

thought an evil thought if I pulled into Jiffy Jet at 3:30AM and bought a Heineken.

The cute girl would open it for me with a smile and I would walk outside with

the open Heineken through the front door and walk to the marble tables and drink

my Heineken. I think even the police would pull by and wave as they drove in. Locals

of the area were always very friendly and very curious that a falang could be so far from Pattaya

that late at night on a bike by themself headed for the border. That seemed the only concern.

Beer out in the open was not an evil and was not thought of as something to be punished.

I don't think this over absorbed westernistic punishment trend for beer or booze is as relevant

as they think for curbing traffic accidents. I mean people don't crash on cue the second they achieve .08

Driver level and agressive speed without matching skill probably could be claimed for most wrecks.

That was the tail end of a long era for Thailand of things being laid back and relaxed

ala the tropics. These big brother is watching type of laws begins the new era of

paranoia and terroristic backwatching. It probably seeds more crime than it prevents.

Or if there isn't more crime then it just seems like it because you think in terms of

always watching out for it.

Times sure have changed my friend.

Of that i agree wholeheartedly.

I miss the old days too.

But, I've seen so many drunk drivers die here in Thailand in the last 15 years this new 'idea' makes me happy.

Maybe it will help, maybe not.

The cops sure will make more money and lord knows they need it !

The first 15 years, not the same.

But now is now and then was then......

A fact that all of us long stay folks must unfortunately deal with because it is the truth....

The police were already apply the 50mg limit in Bangkok. I know of three Thais who spent a night or two in a police cell before seeing the judge the next working day and then had to pay 10,000 baht. Now it seems they have just increased the penalty to 3 months in jail as the 50mg was already in place?

Alcohol checks :lol: maybe, just maybe in BKK.

here in krabi everyone still goes there merry way, driving against traffic with cars and motorbike, driving at 30kmh, blocking lots of other cars while happily chatting on the mobile (wasn't that a crackdown a while ago? :lol: ), helmets...hmm yeah when they do a helmet control then the annoying this goes right off again.....

all these laws they come up with a rarely enforced. Why? Coz the cops are not here to enforce the law they are busy with (fill in the blanks).

What's wrong with enforcing realistic drink-driving laws?

I also recall the 'good old days' when booze was available at gas stations. I even recall a new Shell station at the old Bangna-Trat/Sukhumvit junction offering 2-for-1 shots of Mekhong to drivers gassing up, just to celebrate their grand opening. You got a shot if you bought gas, you got a double if you filled your tank! The difference between now and then was the amount of vehicles on the road and the higher speed of the traffic. You could dodge the bullet easier back then, pissed or otherwise.

What's new about restricting alcohol consumption in general?

We have seen the laws enforced about no alcohol in advertising, no or limited event sponsorship by alcoholic beverage companies, alcohol trading hour restrictions and the total alcohol sales bans on certain holidays and all elections. Regardless of the shirt colour, there's a socio/political grouping with a vested interest in restricting alcohol sales through increasing legislation.

There is an alcohol problem with a certain demographic in LOS but strangely enough, that particular brew/blend isn't demonized as much as the recognizable, up-market brands, if at all.

nothing wrong with enforcing drink driving laws, the key word here is "enforcing".

In BKK these laws are probably enforced but in other provinces I have my doubts. Well at least in Krabi I see that all those laws are NOT being enforced.

Just as there is a list of occupations non-Thais cannot hold, perhaps there should be a list that Thais cannot hold, without help from a Farang.

Let's start with translating news stories into English. This one is an obvious example, but what about all the other ones that "almost" got it right? Waste

Really, as it stands it is pointless reading any of this stuff and Thai Visa is doing a disservice posting any of it in its raw form.

Absolutely spot-on ! Waste of time + space.

I think to make more sense of it, you need to add a couple of brackets, and get rid of one erroneous "driver" like this...

"According to the Ministry of Transport, drivers, (and passengers of all public transports except taxi, motorcycle and public vans drivers) will be penalized if the alcohol levels found in their blood exceed 50 milligrams.

Any more understandable? If it's right I can now go out, get pissed and go home as a passenger in a Taxi, motorcycle or air-con minibus, but I'm buggered if I want to get a train, bus or BTS. That's cool 'cause non of those options exist outside Bangkok.

Cheers!

Edited by FireworksKrabiThailand

I would assume that the exceptions for taxis and sonchaows will be ONLY for passengers being intoxicate.

Drivers are still at 0%

Hello all you passengers who want to do the law abiding thing and have a good drink, and have someone drive you home. Sorry you will have to walk, and get the police to stop you and arrest you for being intoxicated in a public place. This sounds another really good STUPID idea. But if it applies to drivers only and it is applied o.k.

Sorry I have to laugh and it is not a laughing matter however it sounds like Thailogic 101

I suspect that something has been 'Lost in Translation'

Maybe one of our fluent Thai readers can access the original announcement in Thai and give us a better version in English before this thread just becomes the butt of countless jokes.

Nothing wrong with that mind you, but this is quite a serious subject....

Not serious at all.I'm not drinking alcohol.I not use drugs......

Just as there is a list of occupations non-Thais cannot hold, perhaps there should be a list that Thais cannot hold, without help from a Farang.

Let's start with translating news stories into English. This one is an obvious example, but what about all the other ones that "almost" got it right?

Really, as it stands it is pointless reading any of this stuff and Thai Visa is doing a disservice posting any of it in its raw form.

I agree with you there 100%

jb1

I would assume that the exceptions for taxis and sonchaows will be ONLY for passengers being intoxicate.

Drivers are still at 0%

Hello all you passengers who want to do the law abiding thing and have a good drink, and have someone drive you home. Sorry you will have to walk, and get the police to stop you and arrest you for being intoxicated in a public place. This sounds another really good STUPID idea. But if it applies to drivers only and it is applied o.k.

Well at least i will now have a very good excuse for the missus, when she wants to know why i stayed at the bar all night. :D

Radar traps in LOS?! blink.gifYikes! THought LOS was a walk in the park for high speed touring. Where do they provide this 'public service', motorways, highways or city roads, and are they in cars/trucks or just standing by the road holding a radar gun? Need to keep a look-out... not advocating unsafe driving, but the posted limits can be daft.

Hi bbradsby,

I was stopped after going through a radar trap, on route 2 by-passing Korat. Cost me I think 300 or 400bt and got a reciept for it, so was official. Ok though just get in the queue pay the fine, no mark on your licence.

There was another time which was classic. Going to Udon, again on route 2. I was stopped by a cop waiting by the side of the road on a motor bike. He took 100bt from me. Told my girl friend that I should drive slow for the next 1/2 kilometer. Sure enough on the 1/2kil mark, there they were with speed trap??

jb1

I am all out in favour of the Thai Transport department making the roads safer

and new laws on drinking are needed badly

But sadly you can take a horse to ware but .............................

See what else they have tried in the past

http://www.youtube.com/ThailandUndercover#p/a/u/2/LsptD_9_kbE

NEED I SAY ANYMORE

...I've been here 8 years too and driven on many highways through many provinces and seen plenty of radar traps, speed cameras, alcohol check-points..depends if you're there when they're there!!

Hi bbradsby,

I was stopped after going through a radar trap, on route 2 by-passing Korat. Cost me I think 300 or 400bt and got a reciept for it, so was official. Ok though just get in the queue pay the fine, no mark on your licence.

There was another time which was classic. Going to Udon, again on route 2. I was stopped by a cop waiting by the side of the road on a motor bike. He took 100bt from me. Told my girl friend that I should drive slow for the next 1/2 kilometer. Sure enough on the 1/2kil mark, there they were with speed trap??

jb1

[/quote

same as what happened to us going to kanchanaburi a small payment to the police officer that looked like a chap off chips movie from america,money his pocket , the drink limit shoud be 0.08 for all and a fine for repeat affenders should loose there licence for 6months

The original news story:

มูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับ ผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายให้รถยนต์ส่วนบุคคลต้องมีแอลกอฮอล์ไม่เกิน 30 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์

มูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับ ผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายให้รถยนต์ส่วนบุคคลต้องมีแอลกอฮอล์ไม่เกิน 30 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์ หลังกระทรวงคมนาคม เริ่มกำหนดให้กลุ่มรถโดยสารสาธารณะแอลกอฮอล์ต้องเป็น 0 โดยมีผลบังคับในวันที่ 1 กุมภาพันธ์นี้เป็นต้นไป

นายโสภณ ซารัมย์ รัฐมนตรีว่าการกระทรวงคมนาคม กล่าวว่า ตั้งแต่วันที่ 1 กุมภาพันธ์ 2554 เป็นต้นไป กระทรวงคมนาคม จะเริ่มเข้มงวดกับพนักงานขับรถ ผู้ประจำรถ และผู้ใช้บริการบนรถโดยสารสาธารณะทุกประเภท ยกเว้น รถแท็กซี่ รถจักรยานยนต์รับจ้าง และรถตู้โดยสารสาธารณะ โดยต้องงดดื่มสุรา และเครื่องดื่มที่มีแอลกอฮอล์ทุกชนิดอย่างเด็ดขาด กำหนดให้กลุ่มบุคคลดังกล่าวต้องไม่มีปริมาณแอลกอฮอล์ในร่างกาย หรือแอลกอฮอล์เป็น 0 ในขณะปฏิบัติหน้าที่ หากพบปริมาณแอลกอฮอล์ในเลือดเกินกว่า 50 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์จะมีความผิดตามกฎหมาย โดยมีโทษจำคุกไม่เกิน 3 เดือนปรับไม่เกิน 2,000-10,000 บาท หรือทั้งจำทั้งปรับ ขณะที่ผู้ประกอบการขนส่งที่ไม่ควบคุมกวดขันและดูแลพนักงานขับรถและผู้ประจำรถ มีความผิดต้องระวางโทษปรับไม่เกิน 40,000 บาท พร้อมทั้งมีผลต่อการพิจารณาต่ออายุใบอนุญาตประกอบการขนส่งด้วย อย่างไรก็ตามหลังจากนี้กรมการขนส่งทางบกได้จัดเตรียมรถเคลื่อนที่ออกตรวจรถโดยสารสาธารณะเหมือนด่านเคลื่อนที่ใน 4 เส้นทางหลักทั่วประเทศ

ด้าน นายแพทย์แท้จริง ศิริพานิช เลขาธิการมูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับ กล่าวว่า มาตรการดังกล่าวถือเป็นความสำเร็จอีกขั้นหนึ่งของการรณรงค์เมาไม่ขับที่มีการผลักดันมาถึง 5 ปี อย่างไรก็ตาม ในอนาคตมูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับจะผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายกำหนดให้รถส่วนบุคคลต้องมีแอลกอฮอล์ไม่เกิน 30 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์ จากเดิมกฎหมายกำหนดไว้ 50 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์ให้ถือว่าเมา ซึ่งขัั้นตอนที่จะต้องทำต่อไปคือ เปิดรับฟังความคิดเห็นจากประชาชนก่อนที่จะผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายต่อไป

the underlines bits..."From 1 Feb 2011, The Ministry of Transport will commence strict policing of drivers, and passengers of public transport vehicles of all types excluding taxis, motor cycles for hire and minivans to ensure absolutely no consumption of alcoholic beverages of all types. The foregoing group of people shall not have any alcohol in their system (body), that is, 0% alcohol..." etc etc

Sad but true.

I suspect that something has been 'Lost in Translation'

Maybe one of our fluent Thai readers can access the original announcement in Thai and give us a better version in English before this thread just becomes the butt of countless jokes.

Not serious at all.I'm not drinking alcohol.I not use drugs......

Please be careful, you are so funny that I can hardly control my mirth.

I suggest you get a job as a comedian - you will have'em rollin' in the aisles....

The original news story:

มูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับ ผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายให้รถยนต์ส่วนบุคคลต้องมีแอลกอฮอล์ไม่เกิน 30 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์

มูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับ ผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายให้รถยนต์ส่วนบุคคลต้องมีแอลกอฮอล์ไม่เกิน 30 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์ หลังกระทรวงคมนาคม เริ่มกำหนดให้กลุ่มรถโดยสารสาธารณะแอลกอฮอล์ต้องเป็น 0 โดยมีผลบังคับในวันที่ 1 กุมภาพันธ์นี้เป็นต้นไป

นายโสภณ ซารัมย์ รัฐมนตรีว่าการกระทรวงคมนาคม กล่าวว่า ตั้งแต่วันที่ 1 กุมภาพันธ์ 2554 เป็นต้นไป กระทรวงคมนาคม จะเริ่มเข้มงวดกับพนักงานขับรถ ผู้ประจำรถ และผู้ใช้บริการบนรถโดยสารสาธารณะทุกประเภท ยกเว้น รถแท็กซี่ รถจักรยานยนต์รับจ้าง และรถตู้โดยสารสาธารณะ โดยต้องงดดื่มสุรา และเครื่องดื่มที่มีแอลกอฮอล์ทุกชนิดอย่างเด็ดขาด กำหนดให้กลุ่มบุคคลดังกล่าวต้องไม่มีปริมาณแอลกอฮอล์ในร่างกาย หรือแอลกอฮอล์เป็น 0 ในขณะปฏิบัติหน้าที่ หากพบปริมาณแอลกอฮอล์ในเลือดเกินกว่า 50 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์จะมีความผิดตามกฎหมาย โดยมีโทษจำคุกไม่เกิน 3 เดือนปรับไม่เกิน 2,000-10,000 บาท หรือทั้งจำทั้งปรับ ขณะที่ผู้ประกอบการขนส่งที่ไม่ควบคุมกวดขันและดูแลพนักงานขับรถและผู้ประจำรถ มีความผิดต้องระวางโทษปรับไม่เกิน 40,000 บาท พร้อมทั้งมีผลต่อการพิจารณาต่ออายุใบอนุญาตประกอบการขนส่งด้วย อย่างไรก็ตามหลังจากนี้กรมการขนส่งทางบกได้จัดเตรียมรถเคลื่อนที่ออกตรวจรถโดยสารสาธารณะเหมือนด่านเคลื่อนที่ใน 4 เส้นทางหลักทั่วประเทศ

ด้าน นายแพทย์แท้จริง ศิริพานิช เลขาธิการมูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับ กล่าวว่า มาตรการดังกล่าวถือเป็นความสำเร็จอีกขั้นหนึ่งของการรณรงค์เมาไม่ขับที่มีการผลักดันมาถึง 5 ปี อย่างไรก็ตาม ในอนาคตมูลนิธิเมาไม่ขับจะผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายกำหนดให้รถส่วนบุคคลต้องมีแอลกอฮอล์ไม่เกิน 30 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์ จากเดิมกฎหมายกำหนดไว้ 50 มิลลิกรัมเปอร์เซ็นต์ให้ถือว่าเมา ซึ่งขัั้นตอนที่จะต้องทำต่อไปคือ เปิดรับฟังความคิดเห็นจากประชาชนก่อนที่จะผลักดันให้มีการแก้ไขกฎหมายต่อไป

the underlines bits..."From 1 Feb 2011, The Ministry of Transport will commence strict policing of drivers, and passengers of public transport vehicles of all types excluding taxis, motor cycles for hire and minivans to ensure absolutely no consumption of alcoholic beverages of all types. The foregoing group of people shall not have any alcohol in their system (body), that is, 0% alcohol..." etc etc

Sad but true.

Ok I get the bit on excluding taxis, motor cycles etc. So it means, you stop off have a couple of drinks with a friend on your way home Hop on the BTS you can get busted? Driving private transport. Same as makes no difference? Sorry if I have got this wrong but I really could not be bothered to go back to the begining and read it again in English.

jb1