Rockmelt - New Browser

nikster

I've been trying RockMelt since yesterday and something very odd has happened: I find myself using it instead of Safari most of the time.

I am not a huge user of Facebook so I've turned off the little Facebook side bar - but I can see how this would be awesome for all you fb addicts.

Pros:

- FAST. This thing files. That's the main reason I keep coming back, it's so fast, makes a big difference in my usage. I love the instant back - when I hit back, it goes back. NOW. Not a second delayed, it's not loading anything, it's just showing the page where I was before. I use the trackpad swipe gesture so navigating back/forward is truly instant. It's also fast loading pages etc

- Facebook and twitter integration, very well done

- Beautiful user interface that seems to be a combination of Chrome and iOS / iPad. There's popovers and other stuff that seems to be straight out of the iPad. It looks very nice. It's beautiful, actually

- RSS feeds management - awesome. All your feeds are in the right hand bar, facebook, twitter, any RSS feeds you might want to add.

- Very pretty. Arguably looks better than Safari. Worlds apart from Firefox

- Password and login management works, saves passwords, all easy peasy. Same as Firefox, and way better than Safari.

Cons:

- No flash block ATM - I haven't looked for that yet...

Hello, Nikster.

Are you aware that you can get into the Rockmelt browser without signing in to Facebook? Just cancel the sign in dialogue and the browser should open without the Facebook and other sidebars. I am not sure if it still may "collect" your browsing habits because I believe you have to have a Facebook account for it to work (unless you hack it somehow). I don't have anything to hide, so I don't mind using the browser without siging in to Facebook.

I agree with you on the speed.

MSPain

You had me really interested till you mentioned both Facebook and twitter. After that I gave up all interest and won't even bother giving it a try. :o:D

he he each to their own ;)

Put simply, chrome with 2 sidebars that are useful for keeping in touch with people back home.

Personally I never really use the 2 sidebars but the bit I like is that a new window pops up with facebook chats when someone sends a message.

Chrome is still my primary browser with about 4 or 5 windows normally open but I keep rockmelt open too just to keep up to date with things going on.

Most of the benefits mentioned above are more chrome based than rockmelt, but if you like chrome and use either twitter or facebook then its a great browser to have.

You had me really interested till you mentioned both Facebook and twitter. After that I gave up all interest and won't even bother giving it a try. :o:D

Agree completely- can't stand any product that automatically links to me and my friends Facebook. Bye bye, Rockmelt we hardly knew each other.

Edited by ExpatJ

Actually, I quite like it.

It can connect to twitter also and other feeds if you add them.. I shall probably use it instead of chrome. I have received no spam since signing up.. and not really sure what the poster who said "can't stand any product that automatically links to me and my friends Facebook" is on about .... :blink:

Totster :D