Pm Abhisit States His Readiness To Call A New General Election

Lite Beer

PM Abhisit states his readiness to call a new general election

BANGKOK, 30 January 2011 (NNT) - Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva reemphasized his readiness to dissolve the House and call a new general election once the constitutional amendments are enforced.

Speaking in his weekly TV program “ Confidence in Thailand with PM Abhisit”, the Prime Minister reported that the amendments to the charter on Section 190 and Section 93 – 98 had been passed in the second reading, and will be voted in the final third reading on 11 February. The voting will be done without further deliberation. Thereafter, the amendments will be presented to His Majesty the King for royal endorsement, before being published as law.

Mr Abhisit points out that the Government stands ready for the new general election, without having to wait for the organic laws to be enforced. The Election Commission can issue its regulation in compliance with the Constitution. His conditions for calling a new election have been gradually met and he is ready to return the power to the people in accordance with the democratic principles.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-30 footer_n.gif

Let the games begin.

Let's hope this time around there will be televised debates on the issues, without the fear of 'defamation of character' lawsuits flying around. Even better than that would be 'village meetings' with candidates, where villagers can step forth and speak their minds. All invited, and no recriminations for those who speak out. Could that sort of real democracy happen in Thailand? One hopes so.

It's odd, that Red movement members had a golden opportunity to have elections much sooner (late 2010) but even though that was their primary demand, they didn't agree to Mr. Abhisit's acceptance. Well, it wasn't really their choice, as it was the absentee puppeteer who told them not to go along with the plan. Ironic, that when their demands were met, they backed down - probably because they really thought the government would not agree to early elections, and the deeper fear that they couldn't garner near as many votes this time around.

Good news..i think the PMS timing is excellant for him..he has been patiant in all he has done to come to this decision....I think ovehaul his handling of afairs in THAILAND since he took over as PM..AS BEEN AS GOOD AS ANYONE COULD HAVE DONE...especially with all the problems he has had....I wish him luck...

Good news..i think the PMS timing is excellant for him..he has been patiant in all he has done to come to this decision....I think ovehaul his handling of afairs in THAILAND since he took over as PM..AS BEEN AS GOOD AS ANYONE COULD HAVE DONE...especially with all the problems he has had....I wish him luck...

ABhisit seems like a good man to me too, for Thailand's sake I hope he gets back in, the option seems to be a black hole. I am with you on this one Barka.

Let the games begin.

Let's hope this time around there will be televised debates on the issues, without the fear of 'defamation of character' lawsuits flying around. Even better than that would be 'village meetings' with candidates, where villagers can step forth and speak their minds. All invited, and no recriminations for those who speak out. Could that sort of real democracy happen in Thailand? One hopes so.

It's odd, that Red movement members had a golden opportunity to have elections much sooner (late 2010) but even though that was their primary demand, they didn't agree to Mr. Abhisit's acceptance. Well, it wasn't really their choice, as it was the absentee puppeteer who told them not to go along with the plan. Ironic, that when their demands were met, they backed down - probably because they really thought the government would not agree to early elections, and the deeper fear that they couldn't garner near as many votes this time around.

If I was Thai he would certainly get my vote. He dealt calmly with the hired red thugs and now that PAD are showing themselves to be a collection of loose cannon ultra nationalists I expect he will deal with them too. I do look forward to the opposition parties trying to put forward a manifesto which has a bit more substance than bring back Thaksin or invade Cambodia, but I doubt it. Indeed from where I'm standing Abhisit should win by a landslide, though I sadly suspect the Thai people may discard the best prime minister they ever had, but I do live in hope.

Finally some good news!! Im getting impatient with this. Had the reds behaved themselves, the election would've already happened. Now the yellows... Some people just have to learn it the hard way. Abhisit had been strong so far, he still needs to show more neutrality amongst all pressure groups. He will still have my vote. Hopefully the next goal is corruption control.

Edited by Macmundi

Dems are gonna get a big surge in the polls, be being the voice of moderation in the face of the Wackos (UDD), the Crazies (PAD), the Incestuous Demigods (PTP), and the Snakeheads (BJT, CTP, etc).

Abhisit for another 4 years. Good for Thailand.

But definitely not the 'voice' 98% of my neighbours want to hear, nor the 'face they want to see.

(My neighbours are rural, agricultural workers, of moderate attitude, living modestly, but having what passes for a standard of living being eroded on a daily basis).

I'm sure they would not endorse your opinion that another 4 years of Abhisit would be good for Thailand.

Dems are gonna get a big surge in the polls, be being the voice of moderation in the face of the Wackos (UDD), the Crazies (PAD), the Incestuous Demigods (PTP), and the Snakeheads (BJT, CTP, etc).

But definitely not the 'voice' 98% of my neighbours want to hear, nor the 'face they want to see.

(My neighbours are rural, agricultural workers, of moderate attitude, living modestly, but having what passes for a standard of living being eroded on a daily basis).

I'm sure they would not endorse your opinion that another 4 years of Abhisit would be good for Thailand.

Who do you think their suggestion would be? ... and why?

Then please feel free to remind them of the REAL and sustainable programs being instituted today vs. the "handouts" that created much of the debt that they are in now :)

In the face of a global crisis the current government has done surprisingly well, look at the austerity measures being put into place all over the EU or the increased debt load by the US's "spend your way out of a recession". You may then feel free to mention to them that Korn has been acknowledged as one of the best Finance ministers around .. and that despite the incredible violence of the reds, that Thailand still has positive GDP growth.

There are grievances on both sides. Bangkokians pay 90 percent of the taxes in Thailand. They certainly feel like they should have that money spend fairly and equitably. But they see the rural masses voting indiscriminately, sending these rural mafia bosses in to hold power, steal as much as they can, and then depart (willingly or otherwise), and they feel frustrated. The rural poor are frustrated because they perceive injustice, but the keep voting in these snake heads (Newin, Barnham, Thaksin and their ilk), and then act surprised when the benefits they hope for don't materialize.

Both are culpable, and both have not had their expectations met. The Reds and Yellows both hate the Democrats, which is the most ringingly positive endorsement for the Democrats that I can see. If the mafia hate them, they must be the right ones.

Abhisit cannot call an election on his own. If the Party lets him say that, they are buying time just to survive the Yellow rally. Has the Government been good to the people? Not really, with so much casualties early last year. On economy stability? Not really, up swing was a result form foreign investment and Thai exporters with little help from governing Dem. On democracy and reconciliation? Not at all, and wider gap is obvious.

Abhisit cannot call an election on his own. If the Party lets him say that, they are buying time just to survive the Yellow rally. Has the Government been good to the people? Not really, with so much casualties early last year. On economy stability? Not really, up swing was a result form foreign investment and Thai exporters with little help from governing Dem. On democracy and reconciliation? Not at all, and wider gap is obvious.

It is far-fetched to think that the government could not survive the Yellow rally. The only time Yellow rallies have real significance is when they are backed by the army, which in this case seems not to be true.

Governments tend to be more stable when their military arm acts in the subordinate way it is meant to.

The massive 5,000 person rally? Yes that is a real threat to the government's stability. Abhsisit can call an election on his own, by dissolving parliament, which will happen in the next 60 days (Mark it down). Has the government been good to the people? They have been trying to be fair and equitable, which is more than can be said for previous administrations. Putting assclowns in jail for burning buildings and bombing is certainly fair. Working to reform land law, improve education, and promote Thailand's tourism that was hurt so badly by the red idiots, yes, I would say they have been good.

Economic Stability - Korn's stimulus spending helped Thailand A LOT. Democracy and reconcilation. Screw reconciliation - since when has democracy been about everyone agreeing? Lets just disagree without burning down shopping malls (i.e. The Thaksin Way).

It is far-fetched to think that the government could not survive the Yellow rally. The only time Yellow rallies have real significance is when they are backed by the army, which in this case seems not to be true.

Governments tend to be more stable when their military arm acts in the subordinate way it is meant to.

Yellows "backed by the army" ....? Simplistic and apparently inaccurate (ever). Army unwilling to be a tool of Thaksin in 2008 would be a much more plausible line of reasoning.

Hmmm maybe Asa knows something that I don't know about the way parliamentary democracy works in Thailand at the present time, but I thought that the PM could, in fact, dissolve parliament thus forcing snap elections.

The rest of his post just doesn't seem to match reality. Thailand's economy stayed stronger than others in the region mostly because of Korn. Blaming the government for the violence of the reds just doesn't wash, since the reds escalated the violence first every time. On Democracy, he's the elected PM that has been willing to call elections and made the offer twice only to be rebuffed by Thaksin's stooges and he is still suggesting early elections. Reconciliation? Can't do too much with that when the red leadership only wants Thaksin back. Inflation will be a problem for the foreseeable future but Abhisit is addressing that in terms of helping, by attempting to keep food prices from going through the roof.

All in all -- the current coalition government has done quite well and will probably survive intact after the next elections.