Credit Card Fraud In Thailand

camerata

I recently had a call from my bank asking if I was in Bangkok. Apparently, someone had used my VISA card details to buy clothes in the UK. The bank said they thought the card details had been copied in Thailand.

I've never had any problems with credit cards before, despite years of buying on the net, so my strategy is pretty simple - I have one card which I only use on the net, one card that I use for most transactions in up-market places and one that I use for anything that looks dodgy.

The card that was copied is the one I only use at about 12 places in Bangkok - Emporium, book shops, private hospitals and big hotel restaurants. The only places the card is out of my sight are the restaurants, so I rather suspect one of the smaller restaurants in the Emporium.

What's your strategy for minimizing credit card fraud problems? I'd like to use one card specifically for places where the card goes out of my sight, but then I'll miss out on various promotions and discounts on the other cards.

I have to agree with you Eric.

I don't posess nor plan to ever posess. Everyone I've known who has had a credit card seems to have some type of problem---either with fraud/theft, or simple financial issues of using more credit then they are capable of restoring without some hardship.

I simply buy what I have, not what I will commit to being in debt to. It's like when I was a kid before I worked a real job and was getting income from allowance and chores, etc.

On the day of shopping, I would always find something that I just thought I needed but my allowance/chores funds weren't insufficient so I'd beg my parents for a 'credit' advance so I can buy that junk I thought I needed.

My mom usually caved in and I would be indebted to three or four weeks without allowance. My dad new better and would never advance anything, cause he knew that as soon as I was bored with whatever it was I thought I needed, that I would be less motivated to work off that credit advance.

So anyway, credit takes the value away from earning something and is bad side of the capitalist system. When you work hard for something and save up to be able to purchase it, you know the value in adnvance the work and time put in, and whether it is something that you really need and is benefical and worth your time.

Where as credit lets you easily acquire urges and desires that you can't fully insightfully access the value and benefit ahead of time.. Not to mention, I hate feeling of indebtment/enslavement.

:o

I'm sorry, but I really do not agree at all. Credit cards are an essential tool of modern business, particularly for anyone who travels frequently and incurs significant expenses in different countries and multiple currencies. A smug vow of abstainance sounds like an Amish forswearing automobiles: it may be quaint, but it amounts to nonsense for most people.

As for protecting yourself in your use of credit cards, the financial burden of unauthorized charges falls largely on the credit card suppliers anyway and they count it as part of their cost of doing business. All that falls on you is a certain amount of nuisance. It's regretable, of course, but I suggest you look at this fraud the same way the card issuer looks at it -- i.e. part of your cost of doing business in the modern world.

For what it's worth, I've lived in Asia for nearly twenty-five years, Thailand for fifteen of those. I use my cards nearly every day in exactly the same places the original poster said he used his and have never had a single problem with fraud. The only time any of my card numbers was ever used fraudulently was that of a US dollar card I only use in the States and that problem occurred in LA.

It's like being mugged. All pretty much the luck of the draw. Still, you can't let one mugging make you fearful of going out on the street, and you can't let a fraudulent use of your credit card number make you fearful of using a card. All you can really do is, as they say, be careful out there.......

I'm sorry, but I really do not agree at all. Credit cards are an essential tool of modern business, particularly for anyone who travels frequently and incurs significant expenses in different countries and multiple currencies. A smug vow of abstainance sounds like an Amish forswearing automobiles: it may be quaint, but it amounts to nonsense for most people.

As for protecting yourself in your use of credit cards, the financial burden of unauthorized charges falls largely on the credit card suppliers anyway and they count it as part of their cost of doing business. All that falls on you is a certain amount of nuisance. It's regretable, of course, but I suggest you look at this fraud the same way the card issuer looks at it -- i.e. part of your cost of doing business in the modern world.

For what it's worth, I've lived in Asia for nearly twenty-five years, Thailand for fifteen of those. I use my cards nearly every day in exactly the same places the original poster said he used his and have never had a single problem with fraud. The only time any of my card numbers was ever used fraudulently was that of a US dollar card I only use in the States and that problem occurred in LA.

It's like being mugged. All pretty much the luck of the draw. Still, you can't let one mugging make you fearful of going out on the street, and you can't let a fraudulent use of your credit card number make you fearful of using a card. All you can really do is, as they say, be careful out there.......

I agree, it would be very difficult to get by without a credit card.

If you pay your bill in full before your grace period expires

you can use your credit cards and not let them use you.

My credit card issuers have given me free travel insurance, free flights free hotels and the freedom of not having to carry around large amounts of cash to make large purchases.

We all have the risk of being a victim of crime but credit cards offer you some protection against loss.

I ran up alot of debt on my cards years ago paid it all off and vowed never to have a card again. It has been 5 years now and i never have problems with things i need, if i want to buy something on the net i will use a debit card that takes the money straight from my bank.

As for tavelling i use travellers cheques, i have found these just as useful as cards, it might take a bit more effort because you have to change them, but it really isnt that difficult.

I totally disagree :o and that's the beauty of forums

It is not impossible to live in the world without credit cards nor cars.

It's a matter of comfort zone. Certainly our destructive society has made it more convenient with credit cards and automobiles, though the automobile situation is much more extreme issue than credit cards.

As far as credit cards, I and many other people can live without them. I'm able to pay my bills and acquire the 'necessities' of life without credit. Certainly everyone could do so if they adapted their comfort zone and truly contemplated what is essential and necessary for life.

I don't know about business transactions so much, but I imagine any real major business transaction would require actual funds, not credit.

As far as the type of transactions that the original poster mentioned i.e. resteraunt bills, bookstore, hospital, emporium...etc. etc. These are certainly not transactions that require credit.. The hospital deal is questionable in an emergency situation, however, insurance is what usually comes to play here.

Like I said, it's all about comfort and convenience, certainly not necessity and survival! We take taxis and personal cars for convenience. If we dare to stretch are comfort zone, we might be 'forced' to take mass transit or a bus, holy ones forbid. However, if we truly stretch are comfort bounds to necessity, we can take a bycycle or walk even. The human race would definately survive without cars and certainly wouldn't die without credit cards.

Edited by greenwanderer108

We all have to agree that credit card fraud is a world wide problem. Opinions on using one will obviously vary but what the OP has asked is how strategies can be employed to minimise fraudulent activity. In my instance I have never used one therefore i am not subject to risk. I know you dont get any promotions or discounts, as suggested, but you have the ultimate safeguard for your personal finances. For me, its a case of spending what i allready have worked for and that gives me some personal satiisfaction.

I had my card copied on the net one time. My credit card company is very good. Someone tried to make a purchase on the net for $5000.00. My credit card company called me, i destroyed the card they changed my account number, and i had a new card the next day delivered by fed ex. A credit card is essentail tyo life. Managing it is also essentail to life.

Barry

why not use cash?? It much less risky as 1 withdrawl from an ATM can cover multiple swipes which makes the risk a fraction of that of swiping str8 away + the card never leaves your hand, AND its much easier to keep track of spending :D

I can't understand why people insist on swiping.. The one time I went out on the town with no cash and only Plastic I was over 20'000 baht down the following day, i'll be fvcked if I know what happened, there were charges on it from all over Bangkok :o

Edited by Joey Boy

Definitely agree about having a separate card for any online use - with a very low credit limit. Saying that, you have to work hard to stop the issuing company constantly upping the credit limit beyond what you set.

For just about everything else, I try to use cash; it's just too easy for your details to be copied from the slips that you sign.

I had my card copied on the net one time. My credit card company is very good. Someone tried to make a purchase on the net for $5000.00. My credit card company called me, i destroyed the card they changed my account number, and i had a new card the next day delivered by fed ex. A credit card is essentail tyo life. Managing it is also essentail to life.

Barry

Same with me...it happen to me not long ago... :D

Credit Card its a must for me...As i do not like to bring cash to anywhere...Ill just bring a few bath in my pockets just for transportation and small purchased...

Ive got a couple of CC from Thai banks but the best is Central Gold Card...There is no minimum purchases at Central department you can also buy 10 baht worth of item with your Central Gold Card :o

Edited by tytus

an essential tool of modern business

As for protecting yourself in your use of credit cards, the financial burden of unauthorized charges falls largely on the credit card suppliers anyway and they count it as part of their cost of doing business.All that falls on you is a certain amount of nuisance. It's regretable, of course, but I suggest you look at this fraud the same way the card issuer looks at it -- i.e. part of your cost of doing business in the modern world.

Since the OP uses 3 cards, it doesn't sound like they are for business.

Read your liability closely.

I had a friend that was liable for only "$50".

Turned out that was $50 per transaction.

The perp racked up quite a few transactions, costing my friend hundreds. :o

The banks actually add it to the cost of us doing business with them.

I had a card copied in Thailand. When I used it in the U.S. the credit card company immediately called me and asked if I gave my card to someone in Japan.

Somebody tried to buy $1200.00 worth of groceries. Anyhow the cc company canceled the card and I had a new one in 2 days, best part is it did not cost me anything.

I can't see surviving with out one. How do you get hotel rooms with out one?

PKG

Edited by Padkapow Guy

My wife and I have never had problems with credit cards, but we have had a few problems with a debit card so we stopped using it. A retailer duplicated a charge to a debit card, but refused to withdraw the duplicate charge. The debit card issuer, US Bank, ignored requests for a correction. Would never use a debit card again.

By contrast, whenever I have disputed a charge with American Express, they have credited me.

One thing I don't like is the tendancy for subscriptions paid for with credit cards to be self-renewing unless you notify them ahead of time of your intention not to renew. I am looking at Citibank's credit cards which have a viritual credit card number feature. This is a one-time credit card number you get for each charge that would prevent self-renewing and otherwise be a good safety feature.

Since the OP uses 3 cards, it doesn't sound like they are for business.

Right, but I do consider at least one card to be essential for hassle-free living. I buy a lot of stuff on the net - books/dvds from Amazon, vitamins, etc. I book hotels in other countries on the net. I've always kept the theoretically "no limit" Amex card for any unanticipated major medical emergency and I've saved a lot of money through promotions and using member points to get free household items.

Having the card details ripped off wasn't an inconvenience for me since they sent me a new card within a week. So the only real danger, as you mentioned, is losing your card and having to pay the $50. But at least the safety of our cards is under our own control.

Definitely agree about having a separate card for any online use - with a very low credit limit. Saying that, you have to work hard to stop the issuing company constantly upping the credit limit beyond what you set.

For just about everything else, I try to use cash; it's just too easy for your details to be copied from the slips that you sign.

Easy.

Get a separate debit card with no credit facility for use when making online purchases

and get internet banking so that you can 1) Transfer funds from your main account to secondary account and

2) monitor your balance(s) regularly.. :o

I think credit cards are very useful tools - but there are two issues being confused here:

1. CC as an instrument of payment - very useful, risk minor because CC companies cover you (as previously discussed).

2. CC as a source of credit - not good, if you want to borrow money there are much cheaper alternatives. Only good for short term un-expected purchases.

So I agree with MCguy, very useful as long as you pay it off...