Penang Visa Update

Went down to Penang for my imm 'b" last week, smooth and easy and cheapish...

This account is partly to help my mate whos doing it next week...

I live in Kanchanaburi so it was 120 baht for "warp speed" van to Victory monument. (Sow-wa-lee)

Up the steps to the bts and 15 baht for one stop towards on-nut to alight at Phraya Thai.

A brisk 2 minute walk to the airport link train.. and 45 baht to get to Suwanabhumi.

Up to the departure hall and check in easy (4170 Baht return inc online booking)

Arrive at Penang "international" airport 80 mins later (Im sure it'll be nice when its finished)

Outside the front door, avoid paying 500 baht to get to georgetown by taking the 401 bus to end of the line... Have the right money.. 2.7 ringets Bargain!

Get off the bus and walk north (bit vague this one!) for 5 mins.. I asked nice looking people.. it was easy and you're in Chulia street.

Find a room and check in. Up to you how much you pay. I was doing a cheapo special so paid 25 ringets (250 baht) for a box room with a fan at "Banana" But 50 or 70 gets you more.

For visa services i can't say enough about Jim at Jim's place. A really cool guy. He knows EVERYTHING about travel in the south of Thailand or Malaysia, Indonesia... And does great Carlsberg export and marmite on toast..

For 200 baht fee he did the form out for me.. took us to the consulate at 9am (an hour before the "rush"), there was no queue.. i walked straight up to the counter.. she didnt even look at me.. pick it up 2moro at 2pm.. Jim then took us back and then would take you to collect when ready. But i had a taxi to the consulate, pick up visa and to the airport.. for 450 baht.

Then airport link, bts and van and home.

Smooth.

Edited by justaphase

Single or multiple-entry?

I got single entry.. for work purposes. People got 12 months imm 'o' multiples if they had had one previously. Onr guy had 3 in a row.. 15 months at a time!!

(jim hasnt updated his website for AGES)

I got single entry.. for work purposes. People got 12 months imm 'o' multiples if they had had one previously. Onr guy had 3 in a row. 15 months at a time!!

Would I be able to take a letter of invite from any school on "official looking letterhead" and get an non-ED visa?

The non-o's, what was their reason on the application?

I got single entry.. for work purposes. People got 12 months imm 'o' multiples if they had had one previously. Onr guy had 3 in a row. 15 months at a time!!

Would I be able to take a letter of invite from any school on "official looking letterhead" and get an non-ED visa?

The non-o's, what was their reason on the application?

About the Non Ed.. i doubt it.. when i got one last year, from Bkk. I had to have a full timetable of study and licence from language school.

The guys with non o had from Hull previously.."visiting friends" and were just getting another.. if had 1 year previously then another was easy.

It seems Hull gives triple entry tourist visas now too.. good for 15 months

Piece of p!ss to get 3 month 'o' at Penang...

So you are saying that people were being issued with Multi Entry Non Imm O Visas for the reason of visiting friends.

That is remarkable.

I know a few people with 12 months Imm 'O' from Hull with no reason given. I thought that was common knowledge.

So you are saying that people were being issued with Multi Entry Non Imm O Visas for the reason of visiting friends.

That is remarkable.

I know a few people with 12 months Imm 'O' from Hull with no reason given. I thought that was common knowledge.

Hull used to but not anymore.

It would be remarkable if Penang did though.

Not casting any doubts on your report as you were there. Just trying to make things clear for others who might want to try.

That is remarkable.

Hull used to but not anymore.

It would be remarkable if Penang did though.

Not casting any doubts on your report as you were there. Just trying to make things clear for others who might want to try.

Quote me on this:

I spoke to an English dude who was given 12 months 'O' on the strength of having a 12 month "O" previously from Hull.

Best thing is to phone Jim at Jims place... He knows the latest.

a thankyou for the posts here, I have had to make a quick change of plans and am off to Penang on the 12th-17th

apart from visa - any recommendations on things to do there?

I hope to hire a bicycle for a couple of days, interests in general sightseeing, history

and a sports bar? would love to see a game of Six Nations rugby night of 12th - have not seen a live match since March last year.

thanks again

G

a thankyou for the posts here, I have had to make a quick change of plans and am off to Penang on the 12th-17th

apart from visa - any recommendations on things to do there?

I hope to hire a bicycle for a couple of days, interests in general sightseeing, history

and a sports bar? would love to see a game of Six Nations rugby night of 12th - have not seen a live match since March last year.

thanks again

G

Take a look here.

http://www.penang-traveltips.com/george-town-unesco-world-heritage-site.htm

Sports bar, go to Soho bar on Jalan Penang.

http://sohopenang.com/soho-freehouse

poorsucker - enjoying the heritage trail, and looked forward to a foot massage at the end of the second day's walking

turns out Astro Supersport is showing the rugby also, and hotel has it available, am staying near the Soho bar but last night preferred to be back at hotel and watch the Ireland-France match.

• 3 weeks later...

poorsucker - enjoying the heritage trail, and looked forward to a foot massage at the end of the second day's walking

turns out Astro Supersport is showing the rugby also, and hotel has it available, am staying near the Soho bar but last night preferred to be back at hotel and watch the Ireland-France match.

Hi genghis61 - which hotel did you stay at? Would you recommend it to others?

TIA.

GGG

I spoke to an English dude who was given 12 months 'O' on the strength of having a 12 month "O" previously from Hull.

Best thing is to phone Jim at Jims place... He knows the latest.

That would be brilliant for me, i will check with Jim first, wont need it for about 6 months, I'm on an O from Hull, i was planning to go back to the UK renew it.

I have not been to Penang for years,don't mind it for a couple nights, hang out in SoHo. I might take the train one way

Edited by bartender100