Is Wi-Max Available In Thailand?

xtr3mx7

Hello guys,

I wanted to know if Wi-MAX is available here? My in-laws place don't have any telephone line in Songkhla and I would really like to have a permanent connection there since we're planning moving from Bangkok to Songkhla this year.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Don't even think about Wi-Max as being an option. Thailand is just starting to implement 3G technology in limited locations and hasn't even begun to consider implementing 4G or Wi-Max technologies. Although Wi-Max was mentioned once during the Samak Sundaravej administration about 3 years ago as being as method to provide low cost internet access in rural communities. But is is a long way off (if it even occurs). Corruption and vested interests by the government telecoms are preventing advancement to new wired and wireless technologies. In the southern provinces such as Songkhla, fears of insurgents having access to the internet are also impeding implementation.

Your best bet would be to check with CAT to see if their CDMA service is available in your in-laws area. Otherwise, your only other option may be to use EDGE/GPRS internet access from one of the mobile phone service providers.

Remember, Thailand is in the dark ages when it comes to internet accessibility, speed, and reliability, especially in rural areas. Thailand also implements internet censorship by the ICT ministry to prevent access to sites that the government deems a threat to national security and morality.