Should I Upgrade My Motherboard ?

Uncle_Ho

My computer : Intel P4 2.4 Ghz , 512 ddr ram , p4b533 mobo...

I have been using Asus P4B533 mobo for 3 and a half years now .. i need ur recommendation whether i need to upgrade my mobo ..

1. I will be doing a lot of movie editing to be burn onto DVD .. alot of CLONE DVD .. a lot of photoshop and few movie editing programs.

2. I bought Pioneer a09 DVD writer few days ago from Phantip plaza and my motherboard would not give me UDMA 4 .. its currently at udma 2 ...

If your think i should change, could u also recommend me few good mobo with intel chipset ..

If you think i dont i need to change .. then should adding 512 more ram be sufficient ?

Does anyone know how i could change my UDMA2 to UDMA 4 ?

Thanx,

and recommendation would be greatly appreciated ..

cheers !!

Edited by Uncle_Ho

1. For fastest video/photo editing, two things are neeed: a good CPU and lots of RAM. Pentiums are the preferred choice currently.

2. Windows will default to the highest supported speed, but that depends on both the motherboard and the device. Normally, optical drives don't support the same high speeds as harddisks.

If you were to change your motherboard, it would be quite an investment, if you truly wanted great performance. First you would need a new mainboard, a new CPU (Pentium Ds are showing up, cheapest is 11k baht), new RAM (DDR2, prices have come down since their introduction), a new VGA card (PCI-express), and a new power supply. Total would be around 30-40k baht, just for the system (no monitor, etc).

Your current system is OK for most things. More RAM (1GB) would help quite a bit, especially for these tasks.

If you have the money, by all means go for the upgrade. If not, go for the ram, it's only a couple thousand baht.

Dumb question - but have you checked that you've got a UDMA4 capable IDE cable.

The motherboard and drive are both capable of UDMA4 (ATA66) - so only other likely issues will relate to either the cable or if you have a second device on the same IDE channel which is restricted to UDMA2.

UDMA4 (ATA66 and above) cables have 80 wires rather than the older 40-wire cables. (It's still a 40-pin socket, but you need the 80 wire version of the cable).