Change Of Ownership

chiang mai

I'm selling my car and I want to clearly understand how I give ownership to the buyer, do I simply sign the blue book and that's it, or, must the transfer be done at the vehicle licensing/registration office etc?

Thanks in advance to those who know and have done this before.

If you are a foreigner you must supply a signed copy of your passport and relevant pages and and certificate of residency from immigration or your embassy/consulate. Along with vehicles blue book.

Edited by gotlost

If you are a foreigner you must supply a signed copy of your passport and relevant pages and and certificate of residency from immigration or your embassy/consulate. Along with vehicles blue book.

Thanks, I presume by "certificate of residency" you mean a copy of my retirement visa, Thai Immigration will only offer address confirmation to foreigners.

Thanks, I presume by "certificate of residency" you mean a copy of my retirement visa, Thai Immigration will only offer address confirmation to foreigners.

No I mean a certificate of residency. This is what immigration in Chiang Mai refer to when your address has to verified for such things as buying or selling a car obtaining an driver license etc. Charge 500 baht. This is why I applied an received a yellow house book to eliminate this certificate.

No I mean a certificate of residency. This is what immigration in Chiang Mai refer to when your address has to verified for such things as buying or selling a car obtaining an driver license etc. Charge 500 baht. This is why I applied an received a yellow house book to eliminate this certificate.

I think this is all about terminology, I believe we're talking about the same nonsensical form that costs you Baht500 in CM and me Baht300 in Phuket, who said that Phuket was more expensive than the Chiang Mai :) Thanks for the input, I'm grateful.

You can forego the cert of residency if you have a work permit which will serve as your cert. and the car must go to the local registration office either with the purchaser or no earlier then 15 days to have the car inspected..

I think this is all about terminology, I believe we're talking about the same nonsensical form that costs you Baht500 in CM and me Baht300 in Phuket, who said that Phuket was more expensive than the Chiang Mai :) Thanks for the input, I'm grateful.

In Phuket, selling does not require adress confirmation, only passport copy and vehicle transfer form signed, form replaces signing book but of course booke needed to transfer. Car must be inspected by DLT before DLT accepts transfer

I do recommend you see the transfer completed, if not risk car remains in your name, and if used for illegal purpose you get involved as registered owner

In Phuket, selling does not require adress confirmation, only passport copy and vehicle transfer form signed, form replaces signing book but of course booke needed to transfer. Car must be inspected by DLT before DLT accepts transfer

I do recommend you see the transfer completed, if not risk car remains in your name, and if used for illegal purpose you get involved as registered owner

Many thanks for that, is DLT the motor vehicles office in Phuket Town, next to the Drivers License Office?

It seems, now that I've checked, car ownership can only be transferred in the place where the car was first registered. In my case my home is in Phuket but my car is registered in Chiang Mai hence CM is where the transfer must take place! I see a long drive in my future.

It seems, now that I've checked, car ownership can only be transferred in the place where the car was first registered. In my case my home is in Phuket but my car is registered in Chiang Mai hence CM is where the transfer must take place! I see a long drive in my future.

Bring proof of Phuket adress (immigration 300 baht) to DLT in Phuket and request transfer to Phuket. They give you a note and 7 days later bring car to Phuket DLT, DLT checks car, and Phuket plate and changes to reg book completed 3 days later. 800 baht as I recall.

• 3 months later...

Bring proof of Phuket adress (immigration 300 baht) to DLT in Phuket and request transfer to Phuket. They give you a note and 7 days later bring car to Phuket DLT, DLT checks car, and Phuket plate and changes to reg book completed 3 days later. 800 baht as I recall.

This is kinda old but let me close the loop anyway:

The above post is almost correct except that now the end to end transfer process, including issuance of a new book, completes in five days, total cost is 55 baht, yes really, 55 baht! New local plate takes 45 days to issue.

But on a slightly separate aspect: does anyone know if the sale of a motor vehicle requires a legal contract? Mrs CM seems hung up on the idea that one is needed whereas I think the DLT transfer forms probably serve the purpose.