What Is Your Blood Group?

BambinA

Blood Group  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

we will have blood1.gif soon

for me Im AB+ i donate my blood at TH Red Cross every 3-4 months

Rh factor frequency

Predicted frequency of Rh factor blood types in populations, based on occurrence of genotype:

population Rh- Rh+

European descent 16% 84%

African descent 0.09% 99.1%

Non-European, non-African 0.01% 99.9%

For Rh- people, there is a risk associated with travel to parts of the world where supplies of Rh- blood are rare, particularly east Asia. Correspondingly blood services in these areas may look to encourage westerners to donate blood.

Blood types are not evenly distributed throughout the human population. O+ is the most common, AB- is the rarest. There are also variations in blood-type distribution within human subpopulations. The figures given here are for people of European descent.

Type Frequency

O+ 38%

A+ 34%

B+ 9%

O- 7%

A- 6%

AB+ 3%

B- 2%

AB- 1%

Bambi :o

If you are into bar hopping (who me?)dont forget to wear your Thai Red Cross Blood donaters Badge proudly on your chest.

Attracts the young nubblies like moths to a flame and you will have to fight them off when they all ask if they can rub it.

Dont be embarrassed or anything ..after all you will have made a bigger donation (in LOS) than any fly-by-night ATM soothsayer could possible imagine :o ..they luv it.

If you are into bar hopping (who me?)dont forget to wear your Thai Red Cross Blood donaters Badge proudly on your chest.

Attracts the young nubblies like moths to a flame and you will have to fight them off when they all ask if they can rub it.

Dont be embarrassed or anything ..after all you will have made a bigger donation (in LOS) than any fly-by-night ATM soothsayer could possible imagine :o ..they luv it.

I only got into giving blood because my boss at the time promised free Guiness to anyone who gave blood, seemed like a good reason to me, getting sweet tea and chocolate biscuits was just an added bonus..

totster :D

You might have considered one more category for the poll...

"don't know"...

sadly, it would probably the highest percentage response...  :D

yes.. you are right i forget that category

:o:D but..but.. i think it's better if we know our Blood Group Type ..well i hope you find out yours soon

Bambi :D

I agree it is better and everyone "should" knowing was exactly the point I was trying to make. I've known since 1973 that I was O+

:D

Edited by sriracha john

we will have blood1.gif soon

for me  Im AB+  i donate my blood at TH  Red Cross every 3-4 months

Rh factor frequency

Predicted frequency of Rh factor blood types in populations, based on occurrence of genotype:

population Rh- Rh+

European descent 16% 84%

African descent 0.09% 99.1%

Non-European, non-African 0.01% 99.9%

For Rh- people, there is a risk associated with travel to parts of the world where supplies of Rh- blood are rare, particularly east Asia. Correspondingly blood services in these areas may look to encourage westerners to donate blood.

Blood types are not evenly distributed throughout the human population. O+ is the most common, AB- is the rarest. There are also variations in blood-type distribution within human subpopulations. The figures given here are for people of European descent.

Type Frequency

O+ 38%

A+ 34%

B+ 9%

O- 7%

A- 6%

AB+ 3%

B- 2%

AB- 1%

Bambi :o

Im going to donate for sure!! I dont know my bloodtype but maybe some farang or thai need some of my blood. My fluids are for free

What's Your Type?

In some ways, every person's blood is the same. But, when analyzed under a microscope, distinct differences are visible. In the early 20th century, an Austrian scientist named Karl Landsteiner classified blood according to those differences. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for his achievements.

Landsteiner observed two distinct chemical molecules present on the surface of the red blood cells. He labeled one molecule "A" and the other molecule "B."

If the red blood cell had only "A" molecules on it, that blood was called type A.

If the red blood cell had only "B" molecules on it, that blood was called type B.

If the red blood cell had a mixture of both molecules, that blood was called type AB.

If the red blood cell had neither molecule, that blood was called type O.

If two different blood types are mixed together, the blood cells may begin to clump together in the blood vessels, causing a potentially fatal situation. Therefore, it is important that blood types be matched before blood transfusions take place. In an emergency, type O blood can be given because it is most likely to be accepted by all blood types. However, there is still a risk involved.

A person with type A blood can donate blood to a person with type A or type AB.

A person with type B blood can donate blood to a person with type B or type AB.

A person with type AB blood can donate blood to a person with type AB only.

A person with type O blood can donate to anyone.

A person with type A blood can receive blood from a person with type A or type O.

A person with type B blood can receive blood from a person with type B or type O.

A person with type AB blood can receive blood from anyone.

A person with type O blood can receive blood from a person with type O.

Because of these patterns, a person with type O blood is said to be a universal donor. A person with type AB blood is said to be a universal receiver. In general, however, it is still best to mix blood of matching types and Rh factors.

Are You Positive or Negative?

Scientists sometimes study Rhesus monkeys to learn more about the human anatomy because there are certain similarities between the two species. While studying Rhesus monkeys, a certain blood protein was discovered. This protein is also present in the blood of some people. Other people, however, do not have the protein. The presence of the protein, or lack of it, is referred to as the Rh (for Rhesus) factor.

If your blood does contain the protein, your blood is said to be Rh positive (Rh+).

If your blood does not contain the protein, your blood is said to be Rh negative (Rh-).

This Rh factor is connected to your blood type. For example, your blood may be AB+ which means that you have type AB blood with a positive Rh factor. Or, you might have O- blood which means that you have type O blood with a negative Rh factor.

It is particularly important for expectant mothers to know their blood's Rh factor. Occasionally, a baby will inherit an Rh positive blood type from its father while the mother has an Rh negative blood type. The baby's life could be in great danger if the mother's Rh negative blood attacks the baby's Rh positive blood. If this happens, an exchange transfusion may save the baby's life. The baby's blood can be exchanged for new blood that matches the mother's.

From sln.fi.edu

O- so I'm a universal donor :o

Been donating every three months for 18 years now...

Minimum recommended interval is 56 days (8 weeks) between donations, but since I poison myself with alcohol every so often i stretch this to 12 weeks :D

I've known since 1973 that I was O+

I wasn't even born then.. :o

totster :D:D

uhmmm.... neither was I...

It was just a certain inkling I had as a pre-conception entity... yeah, yeah... that's it...

a firm notion that when I was to be born later on, I would definitely be O+...

I'm only 21 now.

5555 :D:D

totster :D