What Is Your Blood Group?

BambinA

Blood Group  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am A+ but my father in law is AB- which as Bambina stated, is the rarest type. He comes over to Thailand several times a year and is probably here for a total of 4 months. His name is on a list in Phuket but unfortunately he is not always available. I am sure he would be willing to put his name on a list on the understanding that he will not always be around.

It is standard procedure for pre screening blood donors to ask if they had every paid for sex. A yes answer would immediately disqualify a person from donating. Be honest people, how many TVers would be in this group?

Pgrin

I've never been asked that question when donating blood in Thailand or the USA...

:D

btw, that's a rather weak hijacking attempt. :o

Edited by sriracha john

From the Red Cross guide to screening blood donors. SOP for at least the last 10 years in the US.

You should not give blood if you have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test, or if you have done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV.

You are at risk for getting infected if you:

* have ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by your doctor

* are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977

* have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977

* have had sexual contact in the past 12 months with anyone described above

* received clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia

* were born in, or lived in, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea,Gabon, Niger, or Nigeria, since 1977.

* since 1977, received a blood transfusion or medical treatment with a blood product in any of these countries, or

* had sex with anyone who, since 1977, was born in or lived in any of these countries. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

The object of this thread is to enlighten people to contribute to a safe blood supply. Of the donors are not screened properly the you are playing Russian Roulet. Hardly a thread hijack.

Pgrin

Judging by this poll, us AB- and B- blood types are screwed if we ever have a serious need for blood - one of the reasons I never ride on motorbikes.

When I donated blood for the tsunami victims last year the hospital didn't ask me a single question about drugs, illnesses or lifestyle. They generally do in Western countries.

From the Red Cross guide to screening blood donors. SOP for at least the last 10 years in the US.

You should not give blood if you have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test, or if you have done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV.

You are at risk for getting infected if you:

* have ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by your doctor

* are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977

* have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977

* have had sexual contact in the past 12 months with anyone described above

* received clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia

* were born in, or lived in, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea,Gabon, Niger, or Nigeria, since 1977.

* since 1977, received a blood transfusion or medical treatment with a blood product in any of these countries, or

* had sex with anyone who, since 1977, was born in or lived in any of these countries. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

The object of this thread is to enlighten people to contribute to a safe blood supply. Of the donors are not screened properly the you are playing Russian Roulet. Hardly a thread hijack.

Pgrin

not many people left, it would seem!

Pgrin

It's all in the delivery. By focusing in an enticing manner on only one aspect of screening... :o

Perhaps someone truly interested in informing TV about the guidelines would simply add the URL:

The COMPLETE Red Cross Donor Eligibility Guidelines

There they could find a whole host of criteria that should answer any and all questions (not just the hijack-tantalizing ones) about whether they are suitable or not for donating blood.

So... while there is a portion of truth in what you say... the whole truth is so often better. Perhaps I guess I did err then... it wasn't that weak an attempt.

:D

Edited by sriracha john