Proton Or Mazda

Yes good catch, but this is one thing that has frustrated me about Proton and while I agree I think it's affordable and stylish cars on their newer models, why not offer this car with the max engine and manual, instead of just the minimum spec engine with manual I'd give it serious consideration with a manual if it came here..

if the 1,8 is 2011 Mitsu spec, it is E85 compatible, probably well suited for CNG or LPG too

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone here know much about the new engine---drive train that is reportedly being introduced in Japan in 2011 for the Mazda 2? I've heard that this engine will get at least 15 % better fuel economy than the present Mazda 2 models. It will use premium fuel only and the reason is it's going to have direct injection with 14 to 1 compression as compared to the present engine's 10 to 1. Back to fuel economy it is said it will get 70 miles to the gallon or 30 kilometers to the liter in Japan, but it will not do this in the U.S. for example. A 15 % increase means 40 to 42 miles to the gallon without having to go to full battery or hybrid technology. 70 mile to gallon direct injection technology????

As far as Proton or Mazda 2.....Mazda 2 hands down. Mazdas are excellent cars as I can personally attest after putting 180,000 miles on two Mazda Miatas. From the road tests I've read the Mazda 2 is the most fun to drive car in its class. It offers excellent handling

Anyone here know much about the new engine---drive train that is reportedly being introduced in Japan in 2011 for the Mazda 2? I've heard that this engine will get at least 15 % better fuel economy than the present Mazda 2 models. It will use premium fuel only and the reason is it's going to have direct injection with 14 to 1 compression as compared to the present engine's 10 to 1. Back to fuel economy it is said it will get 70 miles to the gallon or 30 kilometers to the liter in Japan, but it will not do this in the U.S. for example. A 15 % increase means 40 to 42 miles to the gallon without having to go to full battery or hybrid technology. 70 mile to gallon direct injection technology????

The engine you're talking about is the Mazda SKY-G, which is 1.3L, 150HP and 50MPG (USA), but the Thai market Mazda 2 won't be getting it anytime soon. The next generation MX-5 (Miata) will be the first Thai Mazda to get it.

As far as Proton or Mazda 2.....Mazda 2 hands down. Mazdas are excellent cars as I can personally attest after putting 180,000 miles on two Mazda Miatas. From the road tests I've read the Mazda 2 is the most fun to drive car in its class. It offers excellent handling

Are there any figures on fuel consumption for mazda 2 from Thailand. I'm more interested in the manual versions of trhe mazda 2 / honda jazz - sat in the jazz yesterday and seems as roomy as my civic! I've read the mazda 2 uses more fuel that the jass, especially when your stomping on it - the manual version is quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent jazz too. I will be comparing these to the march / new honda brio when it is released. I mostly drive around Nonthaburi, so any figues on fc will be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find much on the net so far.

the most fuel efficient and low emission petrol engines are not available in LOS, as they need 98 RON, unavailable

Are there any figures on fuel consumption for mazda 2 from Thailand. I'm more interested in the manual versions of trhe mazda 2 / honda jazz - sat in the jazz yesterday and seems as roomy as my civic! I've read the mazda 2 uses more fuel that the jass, especially when your stomping on it - the manual version is quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent jazz too. I will be comparing these to the march / new honda brio when it is released. I mostly drive around Nonthaburi, so any figues on fc will be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find much on the net so far.

Can't give you actual numbers as our tests are not directly comparable to anything else, but can give you a list of most-to-least fuel effecient..

• Mazda 2 Hatch 5MT
  • Mazda 2 Sedan 5MT
  • Honda City 5AT
  • Honda Jazz 5AT
  • Toyota Vios 4AT
  • Mazda 2 Hatch 4AT
  • Mazda 3 Sedan 4AT
  • Toyota Yaris 4AT
  • Chevrolet Aveo 4AT

Not in the list = not tested. Difference between best and worst in this list is 8%.

Only real point of note is that the Honda City 5AT has the same fuel effeciency as the Mazda 2 Sedan 5MT, and is this || close to the Mazda 2 Hatch 5MT. Honda Jazz does not perform the same though.

Thanks MRO, do you know the cause of the differeence in the performance of the jazz and city? Aerodynamics or weight? Would there be a significant difference between the march/brio and the mazda 2 MT? Even at high speeds the march can get 14-15 km/h. Thanks.

A combined number of causes from ECU settings, aero differences, gearing and even shifting points all regulated by the ECU where applicable, coupled together to make the differences, there isn't one magic bullet answer for your question and the REAL answers are only known by the engineers..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 2 months later...