Proton Or Mazda

Hi :)

I am looking to buy a car in Bangkok,Thailand more of a family car for me so looking at these 2 brands its economical and not expensive . Will also be installing NGV to save fuel cost. Any suggestion and advice are welcome

Proton Gen 2

Proton Neo

Mazda 2 Sedan/Hatchback

Can anyone give me an idea which is better ? Cant make up my mind.

Edited by ManOnTheRoad

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it almost incredible someone would even consider buying a Proton - they are unspeakably bad cars. They are beyond compare to anything other than perhaps a skip on wheels or some old British Leyland rubbish built in the 60s and 70s. The Mazda is by far a better car, however if you want to transport your loved ones in a Malaysian death trap by all means get a Proton. :bah:

I would look at my priorities first. Of you are determined of filling up your trunk with a 200k range CNG tank, I would consider the cars supplied from manufactorer with CNG.

Mazda does not come with CNG.

Toyota has only one engine modyfied to survive 100k km on CNG, Altis 1,6 old spec

Chevrolet has one

Proton does have. Whatever one thinks of the cars, Proton is probably the one with most CNG experience, as all the KL taxis run CNG

Just read some of the reviews of Proton cars eeek !!! best quote I found

"A budget five-door hatchback intended to make you think twice about buying a Focus. Frankly, we think a medium-size cabbage makes a more sensible alternative."

:lol:Get a Mazda

Thank you for your replies :) Still cant make my mind. I was told the Bangkok Motor Show 2011 is next month March , Will there always be good bargains of cars ?

Spoke to both Proton and Mazda dealer today they said 1 year free insurance and etc.

I think Proton cars resale value will go down after i buy it thats what was told by a friend

Any other cars recommendation below 600K baht ?

I would look at Fiesta nice car built on same platform as Mazda 2 in same factory with in my opinion better styling and engines

Fiesta 1.4 auto style 564k

Fiesta1.6 powershift trend 644k

Also

New Base model Jazz

One year old focus hatch around 600k

Sometimes i think the Proton bashers have never actually LOOKED at the Persona. It is a good car at an economy price. Sure it will not hold as much as a Toyahonda. But it's cheaper in the 1st place.

If you are looking for CNG direct from the manufacturers there are not many to choose from.

i would get the mazda 2....proton is bad (no offense to ppl owning one)

i've test drive the mazda2. it's a fun car to drive and not too expensive.

If it's a mazda 2 vs. a fiesta 1.6, i would get the fiesta 1.6 if pricing is not an option. I wouldn't bother with the fiesta 1.4. It has much less power than a mazda2 (which is 1.5)

So let me know if you are keen to get a fiesta though. I am trying to negotiate for free insurance on fiesta and trying to find as many buyers as possible.

Thank you for your replies :) Still cant make my mind. I was told the Bangkok Motor Show 2011 is next month March , Will there always be good bargains of cars ?

Spoke to both Proton and Mazda dealer today they said 1 year free insurance and etc.

I think Proton cars resale value will go down after i buy it thats what was told by a friend

Any other cars recommendation below 600K baht ?

You dont have to think,,, it will go down, just look at used ones then it should not take long to figure out which one

Are you serious Proton or Mazda,,, go find some top gear videos on youtube about the Proton and you will see :)

Mate. I would LOVE to know what Mr Clarksons says about the Proton Persona.

But as i can't find any thing on Youtube from Top gear about the Persona.. I can'tbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

(What he says about other car's in the range do not really apply do they)

Are you serious Proton or Mazda,,, go find some top gear videos on youtube about the Proton and you will see :)

But as i can't find any thing on Youtube from Top gear about the Persona.. I can'tbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I dont think i said anything about Persona whatever that is, but that guy will hate you forever if he buy what you put as an option for him :)

I dont think i said anything about Persona whatever that is, but that guy will hate you forever if he buy what you put as an option for him :)

HD.. You may not have mentioned the Persona. But that is actually the car we were talking about :D

I find is so amusing that you are dissing a car that you haven't the slightest knowledge about..WOW

As for the guy he can make his own mind up according to his budget and needs.

I also notice you doing the same thing on the Hyosung thread over at the bikes forum.. A Strange and blinkered view of the world you seem to have B)

Buy an almost new car? Don't what the OPs finances are like; is he planning to buy on finance?

I always suggest a test drive to make your mind up. To an extent, it depends on what your expectations are?

Edited by MaiChai

Well the OP mentioned installing CNG post purchase in which case the options are greater.. In a similar price range I'd also throw my hat into 2 options being the Fiesta and the Mazda and between those the stand out is the Fiesta for slightly more. If your going to finance anyways there isn't a notable difference between 600,000 and 644,000 for a lot more car in the case of the Fiesta that will hold more value.

In the case of the Proton Persona it comes with factory CNG installed and is built for it, also it's part of the price bringing the deal down even more so from that point view it's depreciation is already factored in in initial cost versus package so then in my mind it comes down to after-sales service and reliability in the latter months of the finance contract which under the circumstances of a CNG car is a toss up so then it finally comes down to taste, package and preference and that question has to be answered by the OP, but IMO the Fiesta is stand out as I've posted previously on other threads recently :jap: ..

I agree that the Fiesta is the better car.

But by the time you add CNG you are looking at nearly 150,000b difference in price between the Fiesta and the Persona. I also believe that it is a slightly smaller car. so how much space does the cng tank take up in the Fiesta. ( I believe that CNG in multipoint fuel injection is about 50,000b. is that correct)

Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 GXLi NVG bigger car and 653k ?

Chevrolet Aveo NVG 635k ?

Good one Ignis.. BUT to be fair they are both 2nd tier Manufacturers here in Thailand.

And they are outgoing models. Mitsu replacement is the Ex and the Aveo replacement is the Cruze.

So their resale will take a hit, Not forgetting that they are also 100,000b or so more expensive than the Persona..

I should try and get a job with Proton at this rate biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

HD.. You may not have mentioned the Persona. But that is actually the car we were talking about :D

I find is so amusing that you are dissing a car that you haven't the slightest knowledge about..WOW

As for the guy he can make his own mind up according to his budget and needs.

I also notice you doing the same thing on the Hyosung thread over at the bikes forum.. A Strange and blinkered view of the world you seem to have B)

Proton is proton,i thought he just asked about Proton or Mazda?????Proton Gen 2

Proton Neo that what he asked for,,,, as for that Korean so called MC or scooter, i did try it, and so did 2 other guys i was working with all 3 of us had one, all 3 said the same thing, what more can i say, you know you get what you pay for, buy cheap buy twice :)

Not sure about buy cheap - buy twice. BUT certainly most people will expect the lower priced car to be UMM lower priced.. And not expect the finest quality of say Rolls Royce.

And the cars we are talking about are certainly acceptable quality for the price.

But hey if you have more money then spend it but it'd unseemly do diss something that you have not even looked at or tried yourself.

Anyway the OP has some choices.. So now it's up to him..enjoy.

Ps The manual E20 Persona is only 499,000b

Edited by thaicbr

and the Aveo replacement is the Cruze.

NO it is not... Have seen one the other day on red plates the new 2011 Chevrolet Aveo, the twin headlights make it look a lot better the the old model.

Likewise have seen a few of the new bigger Cruze this is the replacement for the Optra..