Proton Or Mazda

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://talkpower.wor...oton-saga-good/

you get what you pay for :)

and before thaicbr starts, this is the proton saga, never seen it and hope i never will, look like a car from 1980

Well if CNG is a must, Proton is only car with manufactorer warranty below 700k baht. All others loose warranty the day you install CNG, and engine is not likely to survive 100k km on CNG

As for Proton.. why not the brand new model ?

Proton Saga 465,000 baht

post-42643-0-96945200-1297298188_thumb.j

Saga is a Savvy with trunk, model like 5 years old. New in LOS :)

Sort of, but has a different engine and a proper 4 speed auto box

If I was looking for a cheap small car then think the new 2011 Chevrolet Aveo is better + looks better, there again no idea as it is far to small for me to get into, or should I say if I could squeeze into, would ever get out again.

What about the Naza Forza? only 389k install the NGV as an after-market ?

Both my wife and I have had Proton Gen 2s for a year and a half.

We shopped around , Ford, Nissan, Mazda et al before buying, test drives etc. Listened to all the poopooing of Proton as well.

Anyway we bought the Gen 2's, 2 0f them.

Result - nice car to drive, good mileage, never had a problem with service, infact never had a problem at all.

So much for all the "bad" reports.

and the Aveo replacement is the Cruze.

NO it is not... Have seen one the other day on red plates the new 2011 Chevrolet Aveo, the twin headlights make it look a lot better the the old model.

Likewise have seen a few of the new bigger Cruze this is the replacement for the Optra..

Ok sozzy

http://talkpower.wor...oton-saga-good/

you get what you pay for :)

and before thaicbr starts, this is the proton saga, never seen it and hope i never will, look like a car from 1980

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are correct it is a Proton Saga.

A car that Proton promote as a cheap small family car. They do not hide that fact.

I saw one at the BKK motorshow at Impact arena a few months ago.

I think it had a start price of 399,000b for the basic spec with MT.

How many family sized cars are there in Thailand for that money..

It seemed to be ok. Was certainly built to a budget but ok.

Personally not my cup of tea (I agree about the styling).

BUT at least it's available IF it meets your requirements FOR A LOW COST family car.

Many people do not have buckets full of money and pillows stuffed with 1,000b notes biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh and the blog from the girl with little driving experience was good as most of the comments put her straight with a few driving tips.

also see here for a report by a Malaysian blog

http://paultan.org/topics/cars/new-proton-saga/

Edited by thaicbr

Ok last min changes, Instead of a Proton i manage to book the Mazda 2 Sedan. With Free insurance 1 year .

Now can anyone recommend me a good place to install either LPG / CNG in Bangkok , The cheapest place to install ? any idea?

Cheers :)

Proton comes with free 1st class insurance also.

FYI - the reason the Proton is cheaper than other brands with same engine size in Thailand is that there is a special tax arrangement between Thailand and Malaysia, which is much less than vehicles from other countries.

Imports made in malaysia is no importduty.

Japanese cars made in Thailand, no importduty

Proton is cheaper because made from dated tech, mostly 1-2 decades Mitsu copies

FYI - the reason the Proton is cheaper than other brands with same engine size in Thailand is that there is a special tax arrangement between Thailand and Malaysia, which is much less than vehicles from other countries.

Yep. Same for cars from Indonesia and Philippines. Excise tax is still slightly higher for these AFTA cars though, being based on CIF.

Yes. They used to be but have been designing and manufacturing there own engine etc for about 5 years. The Campro engine.

As for the rest of the car it pretty much follows the norm in all car manufacturing so i can not really see the decades old dated tech. older lower cost tech certainly but that is the nature of any lowcost manufacturer.. at least i imagine it is.

And they are Japanese brand cars made in Thailand B):D

Edited by thaicbr

Even those manufactured here? Because all the discussed models are made here..

Yes. They used to be but have been designing and manufacturing there own engine etc for about 5 years. The Campro engine.

As for the rest of the car it pretty much follows the norm in all car manufacturing so i can not really see the decades old dated tech. older lower cost tech certainly but that is the nature of any lowcost manufacturer.. at least i imagine it is.

Protons engines are Renault.. And their suspension is Lotus and they make a point of mentioning it..

As for CNG tank or LPG in a Mazda 2 consider a proper uprating of rear shocks and springs too.. Definitely shocks which will help with the springs... It's going to be like carrying a full load of groceries (even more in a car that size) every single day you drive it..

Protons engines are Renault.. And their suspension is Lotus and they make a point of mentioning it..

As for CNG tank or LPG in a Mazda 2 consider a proper uprating of rear shocks and springs too.. Definitely shocks which will help with the springs... It's going to be like carrying a full load of groceries (even more in a car that size) every single day you drive it..

Proton has payed Lotus for a couple of hundred manhour to set the suspension, as many other makers have. Takes 8-10.000 hours to do a Lotus suspension properly ;)

Old Mitsu and Renault engines (with new 4 valve heads) and platforms with 4 speed autos or automated clutch manuals is dated tech. Nothing wrong with it, and could be more reliable than new tech, but explains the lower price than mainstream brand names. Low develop costs.

As for CNG in Mazda 2, its like 80 kg behind the rear wheels, suspension upgrade needed indeed if parts of standard handling is desired

and of course manufactorers warranty is lost

Neither. In that price range I'd just get an Toyota or Isuzu light truck. It'll last longer and when it starts to have problems, it's easy to find a dealership or garage that knows how to deal with it.

Tata is fitted with 2x CNG Tanks underneath and in the price range......

The Triton is fitted with 1x CNG tank in the back bed, or for the same price 2x LPG Tanks fitted underneath and the spare wheel mounted in the back bed, also within the price range.

As for the present Isuzu D-Max, there is a big problem and 3 years on it has still not been sorted, Isuzu dealers cannot help only replace the faulty part with another.. My Gold Series has been replaced 4 times, it is no better, the new 2010 part is even worse now the engines will just cut out, so have not had it replaced again... I have always had the Isuzu, but so fed up with them cannot wait for the new model, changing to a diffident make next week [ordered last month] friend last month bought a brand new D-Max 3 days later had the problem at 21:00 no one would come out to fix he had to sleep in the truck all night, Isuzu arrive at 11:00 next day..

Both Warpspeed and Kata are wrong. The only car powered by a Renault engine is the Proton Savvy. The rest use Protons own Campro engine (that may be based on a Mitsubishi engine, but i do not think so)

As for Lotus as long as we are talking about Lotus cars not Lotus Tesco. Then Lotus cars are owned by Proton.whistling.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Proton has payed Lotus for a couple of hundred manhour to set the suspension, as many other makers have. Takes 8-10.000 hours to do a Lotus suspension properly ;)

Old Mitsu and Renault engines (with new 4 valve heads) and platforms with 4 speed autos or automated clutch manuals is dated tech. Nothing wrong with it, and could be more reliable than new tech, but explains the lower price than mainstream brand names. Low develop costs.

As for CNG in Mazda 2, its like 80 kg behind the rear wheels, suspension upgrade needed indeed if parts of standard handling is desired

and of course manufactorers warranty is lost

JFYI I know it pains the Brits to hear this so understandable to avoid mentioning it but, I'll whisper so no one will hear.................PROTON OWNS LOTUS!! :w00t::whistling::D Just like Tata owning Landrover/Jaguar you thought it was a low point when the Yanks owned those companies :lol: :lol: ?? At least Ford put the Jag on the right course and they are holding that course so, something to be said for that...

I can't tell if your agreeing or arguing the point, if your're arguing the point I never said the tech was old or new so really a moot point it's still engineered by the mentioned manufacturers.. The rest is of course self explanatory..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Both Warpspeed and Kata are wrong. The only car powered by a Renault engine is the Proton Savvy. The rest use Protons own Campro engine (that may be based on a Mitsubishi engine, but i do not think so)

As for Lotus as long as we are talking about Lotus cars not Lotus Tesco. Then Lotus cars are owned by Proton.whistling.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I'm not wrong, they use both manufacturers tech in their engines and have bought rights to do so though specific engines are targeted for specific models.. But I didn't see your post before my previous post where you mention the Lotus ownership so I echoed you...

But them manufacturing their own engines would not be a sales point for me unless it's a perfect, well proven copy :whistling: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Kata.. they MAY be using the same technology (and i do not doubt that they are) but other than the Savvy which has a Renault engine (from the Twingo/Clio)

The Campro engine is designed and built by Proton.

As for Lotus using Toyota engines. Yes because most of the cars were actually designed before Proton bought Lotus AND Proton do not have their own engine larger than 1.6. so not exactly ideal for a sports carbiggrin.gif

I have enjoyed our chats here about the Proton and i hope you all don't think that i'm being augmentative. BUT it's nice if the realistic truth comes out rather than rumour or personal dislike of a brand based purely on the fact that it aint the big 4.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Kata.. they MAY be using the same technology (and i do not doubt that they are) but other than the Savvy which has a Renault engine (from the Twingo/Clio)

As for Lotus using Toyota engines. Yes because most of the cars were actually designed before Proton bought Lotus AND Proton do not have their own engine larger than 1.6. so not exactly ideal for a sports carbiggrin.gif

I have enjoyed our chats here about the Proton and i hope you all don't think that i'm being augmentative. BUT it's nice if the realistic truth comes out rather than rumour or personal dislike of a brand based purely on the fact that it aint the big 4.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

for Lotus it was a simple choise, replace their own expensive to make, unreliable engines with inexpensive reliable Toyota engines. Elise is 1800cc BTW. Then make tuned/compressorfed units for top spec models

I have nothing against Proton, and I see it as rather dated tech at low price. dated tech is usually lower on performance and worse milage, but can be more reliable

Proton CNG is unbeatable NGV value for money in LOS :)

BTW Mitsu stopped selling dated tech to Proton last year, as Proton was in negotiations with VW

for Lotus it was a simple choise, replace their own expensive to make, unreliable engines with inexpensive reliable Toyota engines. Elise is 1800cc BTW. Then make tuned/compressorfed units for top spec models

I have nothing against Proton, and I see it as rather dated tech at low price. dated tech is usually lower on performance and worse milage, but can be more reliable

BTW Mitsu stopped selling dated tech to Proton last year, as Proton was in negotiations with VW

That's because they started selling the upto date tech to Proton insteadbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

http://www.caradvice.com.au/91202/2011-proton-inspira-officially-launched-in-malaysia/

Neither. In that price range I'd just get an Toyota or Isuzu light truck. It'll last longer and when it starts to have problems, it's easy to find a dealership or garage that knows how to deal with it.

Tata is fitted with 2x CNG Tanks underneath and in the price range......

The Triton is fitted with 1x CNG tank in the back bed, or for the same price 2x LPG Tanks fitted underneath and the spare wheel mounted in the back bed, also within the price range.

As for the present Isuzu D-Max, there is a big problem and 3 years on it has still not been sorted, Isuzu dealers cannot help only replace the faulty part with another.. My Gold Series has been replaced 4 times, it is no better, the new 2010 part is even worse now the engines will just cut out, so have not had it replaced again... I have always had the Isuzu, but so fed up with them cannot wait for the new model, changing to a diffident make next week [ordered last month] friend last month bought a brand new D-Max 3 days later had the problem at 21:00 no one would come out to fix he had to sleep in the truck all night, Isuzu arrive at 11:00 next day..

Not in the market for a new truck but curiously, what's the 'big problem?' with the D-Max? I mean, specifically what's causing the engine to just cut out? I haven't heard of this issue from friends with D-Max's and MU's, usually under fairly heavy workloads, mostly construction related.

:)

That's because they started selling the upto date tech to Proton insteadbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

http://www.caradvice...ed-in-malaysia/

good work thaicbr, Proton Lancer.............

obviously Proton got it their way with Mitsu by negotiating with VW

Yes good catch, but this is one thing that has frustrated me about Proton and while I agree I think it's affordable and stylish cars on their newer models, why not offer this car with the max engine and manual, instead of just the minimum spec engine with manual I'd give it serious consideration with a manual if it came here..