English Camp Activity For Large Groups Of 15-30 Y/O

TenDreams

Hi,

A Thai friend has 'invited' me to be part of a one day English camp for a group of about 200 'informal education' students, aged between 15-30 years old.

I have to do a 30 odd minute rotation activity with mixed groups of about 40-50.

I have scoured the net, and seen a few games that look OK, but not many that really require any use of English.

I am assuming that the level of English amongst the participants will be virtually 0.

I have no idea if it is indoor/outdoor, size of space, resources available, or anything else other than specified above.

Anyone got any good ideas?

TIA

My advice would be to be prepared for anything & expect nothing. If you have been told 30 minutes with 40-50 students it could easily morph into 1 hour with 20 or 80 students. Just be flexible and go with the flow. I would try to keep it fun and don't rely on any materials that you might need (balls, string, markets, etc.) being where you need them when you need them, unless you supply them yourself.

Just keep it fun and be prepared to improvise.

-"Simon says"usually works well even if the audience is a bit old. That way you can check whether your group understands directions or not.

-Prepare a list of easy questions, about countries,(What's the capital of...., what colour is the flag of....)vocabulary ( can you name 5 animals livig in Thailand, fruits,etc....) general knowledge (When did the tsunami hit Thailand?....) Then give one of them a ball to give to the person next to him, play some music, when the music stops, the one with the ball has to answer the question. If he can't, ask him/her to perform the Monkey or Chicken Dance!

- Start with an easy word like "RED", the next person must find a word beginning with the last letter, D, i.e DOG then the nex one with G and so on, words can be used only once.

Enough? :rolleyes:

Cheers for the replies.

Quite like the ball passing game idea, thanks for that one.

Don't think I have the charisma or enthusiasm to try and pull off 'Simon Says' with a bunch of late-20's high school drop outs, but you never know, I'll keep it in reserve!