Transfering Without Us Atm

I recently had the experience of recieving an insurance check in the mail from the USA and waiting for it to clear - not so great due to long delay. Up until recently I had an American bank account and ATM, but alas the account was closed out.

Now I have a prospect of being forwarded a small monthly amount ($600) for a rental of a house, but there seems to be no easy or practical way to get the money over here. Could anyone recommend the best, cheapest, and most reliable way? Should a check be mailed every month?

I would like to make the process also as easy as possible for the family member who is handling the collecting and sending.

Edited by ClareQuilty

1. Open a new U.S. bank account online (I like this one: http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/pib)

2. If you no longer have a Stateside address of your own, use your relatives address, have the ATM card mailed to them and then have them FedEx it to you over here.

3. Each month your relative can deposit the money into your account via check, electronice bank to bank transfer (can set up to do automaticly), or paypal.

4. A few days later you can take your card to an ATM here and withdraw the money.

You will take a small hit with the conversion rate and the 150 baht atm carge, plus what HSBC charges.

P.S., some banks waive atm fees.

Wow, amazing. It never occurred to me that you could get a USA bank account online. Last time I was in the USA and tried to get a bank account I remember they made me show various evidence that I had a physical address - utility bills and so forth. They made it very difficult. Maybe its not that way anymore (that was right after 9/11 2001). Thanks.

I have a U.S. mail forwarding address that I use for all my accounts, including the HSBC one (http://www.texashomebase.com/).

Now that you mention it, I have came across some places needing a "physical" address, but others don't seem to care.

The mail forwarding company sends most of my mail to a relative once a month, unless I give them a heads up that something important is coming (IRS refund, ATM cards), in which case they will send it to me anywhere in the world by whatever shipping method I choose. They will also scan and email, if that's all that is needed.

They have also been good at telling me that important mail had arrived that I was unaware of, such as three replacement ATM/Debit cards for my Chase accounts......in which the original cards didn't expire for another 8 months (P.S., Chase sucks!).

Good luck,

(P.S., Chase sucks!).

Have very different experience and find them OK (but only using for credit card). They send my cards to Bangkok and have my Bangkok address listed as my official address. This has to be manually entered by customer service into there computer system but since done a decade ago have not had a problem.

If you run into to many problems getting one open from over here - then have your relative open one in their name and setup an online account and mail the ATM card to you - then send user name and pass to you and the PIN via other letter. They can deposit to a bank that is convenient for them and you can just use the account from here. There are many free checking accounts you can do this with - on the internet no one knows your a dog.:jap:

Just set up the statements paperless online and use email alert which will inform you when a deposit is made. Then check balences online and use the ATM or even make transfers to Bangkok Bank via the account.