Thai Customs Arrest 23-Y-Old Pakistani At Suvarnabhumi With 1 Kg Of 'Ice'

webfact

Customs nab 23 drug mules in 3 months

By The Nation

Customs Department officials arrested a 23-year-old Pakistani man for allegedly carrying a kilogram of the drug crystal meth at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday morning.

Suspect Ali Farman, who arrived in a THAI flight from Pakistan's Karachi, was searched and allegedly found to be carrying packs of crystal meth, totalling 1kg, in his shoes and travel bag. He allegedly confessed to delivering the drug into Thailand for the first time in exchange for US$1,000 (Bt30,000). Police initially charged the man with having the crystal meth in his possession with intent to sell it.

Since October 2010, it was reported the Customs Department had arrested 23 people in drug-transporting cases at Suvarnabhumi Airport and seized some Bt134.4 million worth of drugs, including 33.95kg of crystal meth, 1.5kg of heroin, and 38.4kg of marijuana.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-10

I'm still baffled that people are smuggling "ice".

This is perhaps the easiest drug in the world to locally manufacture.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but there is something going on.

I know the Nigerians do about 8 yrs. in the Big Tiger till they call fill a plane, and then they are repatriated.

Perhaps Pakistan, and Iran have a similar deal worked out?

Edited by mstribling

Another sucker - for USD1,000 - actually have to feel sorry that anyone in desperation would smuggle - because we do not know the real reason for anyone to risk so much for so little. Or he's stupid and lying!

To be honest., most are lying. Who'd say: "Well, yeah that's my stuff and I was planning to sell it. But I had good luck that you don't know that I did it already for 10 years."

Another sucker - for USD1,000 - actually have to feel sorry that anyone in desperation would smuggle - because we do not know the real reason for anyone to risk so much for so little. Or he's stupid and lying!

Whether he is stupid, lying or a sucker he should be locked away for many years. Let hin and all smugglers rot.

Could be more than just being a fool. Never know what situation or what possess them to do it. Gun over the family perhaps?

Seriously, risking to throw your life away for 30,000 baht, just doesn't make sense.

Oh well, they all know the laws.

Could be that Suvi is seen as a low-risk destination. We'll never read about the ones that get away with it. Or how many times these mules did get through before they got caught.

I suspect in most cases they are profiled by their looks and origin rather than concrete intelligence info.

Whether he is stupid, lying or a sucker he should be locked away for many years. Let hin and all smugglers rot.

Nope. He should be put to death. The law is on the books. Enforce it. Singapore do. Send a clear message to the idiots.

I cannot disagree with that. I wasn`t aware it carried the death penalty.

Could be more than just being a fool. Never know what situation or what possess them to do it. Gun over the family perhaps?

Seriously, risking to throw your life away for 30,000 baht, just doesn't make sense.

Could be that Suvi is seen as a low-risk destination. We'll never read about the ones that get away with it. Or how many times these mules did get through before they got caught.

I suspect in most cases they are profiled by their looks and origin rather than concrete intelligence info.

I would politely disagree. I routinely fly into Thailand via Dubai, or Addis Abba. Profiling won't help a bit.

I am certain it is a tip-off. Maybe competition doing it. Who knows?

Nope. He should be put to death. The law is on the books. Enforce it. Singapore do. Send a clear message to the idiots.

I cannot disagree with that. I wasn`t aware it carried the death penalty.

Im not 100% positive but I don't think a foreigner has ever been put to death for drugs in the Kingdom.

I think the sentence has been death, but changed to life in several cases.

<div>Whoops. I was wrong <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 16px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 3px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 3px; ">3 Myanmar nationals (1999, 2000, 2001), 1 Hong Kong national and 1 Taiwanese (both 2001)</span></div>

Edited by mstribling

I'm still baffled that people are smuggling "ice".

This is perhaps the easiest drug in the world to locally manufacture.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but there is something going on.

I know the Nigerians do about 8 yrs. in the Big Tiger till they call fill a plane, and then they are repatriated.

Perhaps Pakistan, and Iran have a similar deal worked out?

Yes, it is easy to make if one knows how - and this ease is both the reason why it is so widespread in the region and why it is being smuggled so much now. The recipes are being spread around the last years and everyone wants to get into a lucrative market - especially since it is one of the most addictive drugs.

With far too many neighbors and friends hooked, I know.

To be honest., most are lying. Who'd say: "Well, yeah that's my stuff and I was planning to sell it. But I had good luck that you don't know that I did it already for 10 years."

True

That is the only way to put people off drug smuggling.

I would politely disagree. I routinely fly into Thailand via Dubai, or Addis Abba. Profiling won't help a bit.

I am certain it is a tip-off. Maybe competition doing it. Who knows?

I think that is the truth in most cases.

It looks like the drug smugglers have decided to "embrace diversity" and are branching out from the usual Nigerians, Phillipinas and Iranians.

Nah. It is the TAT's sterling effort to leave no stone unturned that is spreading the word.

most of the local labs that have been busted were owned by people not from Nigeria, Manila or Pakistan.

Last year one muffin said in his defense, that he wanted to build a meth lab to see if it works and was not made for production of meth to sell.

If TAT could remove all the dope/crack heads/junkies from Thailand, I would think the smugglers would move elsewhere.

The 8 stint and leave by Nigerians must be part of Oil for rice deal, running into billions of dollars.

Edited by MegaRanter

It looks like the drug smugglers have decided to "embrace diversity" and are branching out from the usual Nigerians, Phillipinas and Iranians.

Nah. It is the TAT's sterling effort to leave no stone unturned that is spreading the word.

most of the local labs that have been busted were owned by people not from Nigeria, Manila or Pakistan.

Last year one muffin said in his defense, that he wanted to build a meth lab to see if it works and was not made for production of meth to sell.

If TAT could remove all the dope/crack heads/junkies from Thailand, I would think the smugglers would move elsewhere.

The 8 stint and leave by Nigerians must be part of Oil for rice deal, running into billions of dollars.

I had forgotten about that character. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif