Thai Alcohol Tax Rised To 4,000 Percent!

george

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the guy who wrote this article should verify his statements at the local bottleshop first...

making to much noise about it, prices are to rise but not 4000 % ...nonsense ...

small bottle Sang-Som +15 bath

big bottle Sang-Som +30 bath,

100 pipers +50 bath ...

sourch: from inside the bottleshop...

just keep drinking guys, falangs are not supposed to argur about a few bath isn't it ??? :o

raised by 4000%

great, more money for the gov to line their pockets with.

Great thinking taksin.

that will help the peasants and poverty. the peasants will have to take more money from each other to pay for pa's daily bottle now.

pain to the peasants and more money to taksin. hoorah. bravo.

Most thai men i've come across (the poor ones anyway) tend to drink a bottle of rum or a bottle of that other crap a day. doesn't seem to be any help available that they want.

I know it will be the other members of the family that will suffer because of the extra bit of their very limited incomes being drained by alcohol gov tax.

As for gov concern, come on!

The only real concern politics has here is how much money can be took. money = status and power.

anyone who's being here a while who be hard pressed not to notice.

i think the guy who wrote this article should verify his statements at the local bottleshop first...

making to much noise about it, prices are to rise but not 4000 % ...nonsense ...

This happens all the time on this site and it really gets my goat (I would have said "pisses me off", but I won't be able to afford it any more...) Some idiot comes along and just jumps in with a load of judements without reading or understanding the original news item. READ the article! It says that TAX is going UP to 4000% FROM 3550% on SOME types of alcohol, not that prices are going up 4000% across the board!

And for those of you who need to get used to bankrupting yourselves to get bladdered, you could always go to the Conrad Hotel's 'Diplomat' bar - a margharita, a Singha and a glass of orange juice there set me back nearly 1000bht the other day. :o

I'm thinking some US politicians infiltrated the Thai Government, cause all they know how to do is tax more.....................DJM

Although I can't think of many politicos who don't like to tax, but why single out the US politicos? I believe tax rates are much higher in Europe

US politicos because it is US who pushes the rest of the world towards making an 'ideal' human - non-drinking, non-smoking and sexless :o Do I want such life? No, thank you!

Edited by palex

I read this thread and went to the local 7-11 to "stock up", in case they hadn't changed the price, particularly since they are offering a free glass, I thought 6 bottles would be appropriate as then I would have a fresh set of glasses.

So I also buy some milk and a packet of smokes, and I got 2,000 out to pay, expecting about 100 Baht in change. The guy then rings up the sale and gives me about 1500 Baht in odd notes in change. I then tried to explain he had given me too much change, and he didn't understand too well, so he got the "Manager"

I then explained that my purchase was 6 X 305 Baht for the Whiskey, which was 1830 Baht, The cigarettes are 38 baht and the Milk was 31 Baht, so 1899 Baht, So I put all the money on the counter, and took 100 Baht, The Manager then gets another 400 Baht out put it on the pile of then 1400 Baht and puts it all in my hand, and says "sorry my mistake" and offers me a promo drinking yoghurt.

So I walked out with 1900 Baht and a drinking youghurt, Now thats what I call customer service and cheap wiskey.

> The Manager then gets another 400 Baht out put it on the pile of then 1400

> Baht and puts it all in my hand, and says "sorry my mistake" and offers me

> a promo drinking yoghurt.

Yeah.. pointing out mistakes that were made in your favour is a special skill.. More difficult to explain even than when they gave you not enough change! :o The assumption is always that you're not happy because you think you didn't get enough. Still, in cases where the cashier ends up paying for any negative difference, I will always try to point it out. But it's a skill. :D And you have to be very quiet about it (any mistake is a potential loss of face) AND make sure your objection doesn't sound like you're upset because then they think you think you were wronged. :D So I mostly do a surprised & happy faced "Oh, you give me free money! :D" but then don't make a big show or joke of it.

Anyway, sorry folks, back to the disaster-of-biblical-proportions-at-hand here.

I will point out the cashier to my wife tonight and maybe she can go and have a quiet word. I don't want to see people lose, it isn't fair, and is the extra 1800 baht going to make my life any better; probably no, but it will make a difference to the cashier, which is probably 10 days pay.