Koh Chang Resort Recommendations?

qualtrough

A last minute change in plans means I will be visiting Koh Chang (or perhaps Koh Mak) tomorrow instead of going down to Kentang as intended. It has been 7 years or more since I was last in Koh Chang, so any knowledge on my part about good places to stay will be outdated. What I am looking for is a resort with low-end bungalows, nice locations, nothing fancy, mattress on floor and mosquito net is OK, or slightly better is OK too (max 1500 B?). Preferably not in a packed or noisy part of the island. Two question related to this:

1. Any recommendations (Koh Chang, Koh Mak)?

2. Are most places likely to be fully booked now?

Thanks in advance to anyone pitching in to help!

I highly recommend the 'White House' just south of Lonely Beach. I think it is on Bailan beach. The bungalows are excellent value at between 1,200 and 1,500B depending on your negotiating skills. It has a fantastic infinity pool overlooking the beach where you can watch the sunsets.

You can find the details for it and many other bungalows there on the travelfish website (a truly useful resource)

Why not go a bit further to Koh Kood, its a large,beautiful more remote and a lot friendlier island than the other 2.Populated by people who are actually from the island (not developers)

Klong chao beach and estary has some nice bungalows along it such as Noy's guesthouse.look out for the beautiful waterfall nearby with the amazing plunge pool (park charges didnt exist here when we went)

And theres a few good bits of coral scattered around the island.