Repair Cable/Jack On Headphones

floridaguy

I read a post awhile back about a place that repairs the cable/jacks on earphones somewhere in Pantip, but I can't find the thread again. I have a very nice pair of earphones and the jack at the end that connects to my iPhone has been ripped off. The cable is fine and the in-ear earbuds are fine, but I need a new jack. I have tried myself and I just can't get it to work.

Does anyone know where this place is? I even tried walking around Pantip and asking and no one seems to know. They of course just wanted to sell me a new pair. I paid over 4000 baht for this pair, and would like to repair it if possible. I don't care where in Bangkok or even Pattaya, as long as they can repair it. It has an inline button to skip/pause songs, but no microphone.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by floridaguy

Ok, silly me, I found the old thread that suggested a place called Amorn on the 4th floor of Fortune Tower. I will try them tomorrow. Before then, does anyone else have any suggestions of other places that can make these repairs?

Ok, silly me, I found the old thread that suggested a place called Amorn on the 4th floor of Fortune Tower. I will try them tomorrow. Before then, does anyone else have any suggestions of other places that can make these repairs?

Let us know how you get on, because I have given up buying expensive earphones. The wires seem to go intermittent within a few months (unless you take care and do not bend the cable where it exits the plug). So now I buy cheap earphones off the street and replace them regularly.

I tried to repair an expensive pair once by replacing the plug, but when I bared the cable I found there was no plastic insulation between the two wires inside. Instead the two wires consisted of extra-fine filaments which appeared individualy enamelled. So I think you need to strip the enamel using some chemical before you can splice the wires together. It got all too complicated for me.

Edited by rak sa_ngop

Ask at the main headphone store in Pantip Plaza. It is on the ground floor, central section, at the back LH of Bangkok Bank. He sells Skull Candy, Sennheiser, Monster Cable & others. If they don't know where to repair you are out of luck.

Amorn sell DIY parts like Radio Shack. Not sure if they do repairs.

Ok, so I went to Amorn, and they weren't very helpful. They told me to buy a new jack and they would install it for me. They pointed me to their parts store next door. They didn't have just the jack, so I looked at buying a cheap set and just having them cut the jack off and put it on mine. But, they didn't have one with the correct number of wires; mine have four wires. So I gave up on them. I will try Pantip Plaza and follow the suggestion posted and see if they can help me. I will let you know how that goes.