Thermal Imaging Survey

Thermal imaging ('thermography') is a growing business in the UK and there are many applications for a man with a camera - building heat insulation surveys (in hot climates used to prevent hot air coming IN reducing air con efficiency) but more importantly any application where heat will highlite a present or future problem, e.g electric power distribution (cables, bus bars), electric motors, bearings etc (even now being used in race horse health diagnosis!).

Charging for the services of a man and camera in the UK is a viable business, although perhaps now a little flooded.

What chance do you think this business would have in Thailand, given that charges can't be cheap due to the purchase price of a T.I camera. In the region of 20kBaht per day for use of an experienced man and camera, providing images and reports?

I would be interested to hear any views, particularly from those in the building, oil drilling / pumping, or power electrics industries.

I have some knowledge of language and culture.

Thanks.

You are going to need some very specialized clients to garner US$500 a day. We generally pay about $600/day in the US for thermal imaging during commissioning of a datacenter handling billions of dollars in transactions a day.

Most electrical systems in Thailand seem to be more RTD (run to destruction) rather than something with a predictive maintenance regime.

Good luck, but I would not expect you to be able to take in more than THB 10k per day, and that might take time to build up clients.

Thermal imaging ('thermography') is a growing business in the UK and there are many applications for a man with a camera -  building heat insulation surveys (in hot climates used to prevent hot air coming IN reducing air con efficiency) but more importantly any application where heat will highlite a present or future problem, e.g electric power distribution (cables, bus bars), electric motors, bearings etc (even now being used in race horse health diagnosis!).

Charging for the services of a man and camera in the UK is a viable business, although perhaps now a little flooded. 

What chance do you think this business would have in Thailand, given that charges can't be cheap due to the purchase price of a T.I camera.  In the region of 20kBaht per day for use of an experienced man and camera, providing images and reports?

I would be interested to hear any views, particularly from those in the building, oil drilling / pumping, or power electrics industries.

Thanks.

Thermal imaging ('thermography') is a growing business in the UK and there are many applications for a man with a camera - building heat insulation surveys (in hot climates used to prevent hot air coming IN reducing air con efficiency) but more importantly any application where heat will highlite a present or future problem, e.g electric power distribution (cables, bus bars), electric motors, bearings etc (even now being used in race horse health diagnosis!).

What chance do you think this business would have in Thailand, given that charges can't be cheap due to the purchase price of a T.I camera. In the region of 20kBaht per day for use of an experienced man and camera, providing images and reports?

Thanks.

I have beed\n doing infra red scanning here for almost 2 years and now decided to call it quits, as I have the following problems here

Competitors here is the EGAT the electrical generating authority and they are very cheap

many customers dont want to do this here

alot of corruption and some are packaged with service providers maintanance

poor knowleged of the Thai language

Unable to get good staff to carry the camera , camera so expensive that we dont trust any Thai staff to handle

Not enough customers here and price too low to sustain the office

Perhaps u will have better luck as I just closed my company down , seems to be easy to do this here, however not enough repeat customers to sustain

If u need further information , please email me at <snip>

Edited by soundman
Email address removed as per forum rules. Use PM system.

• 3 years later...

Thanks.

Hello, You did encouraged me , with your note .

I am a thermographer specialized in building thermography and want to come to Thailand , to make some surveys of buildings from the inside to the outside,

and measure and calculate the energy losses they will have , so they can see and ,if the building is energy ''Cool'' or not , and to make the evaluation of the nesessety

of repairing or renovating is the option.

I have a high end camera Fluke TI 50 FT and I measure also the air and CO² and dewpoint etc etc

If you have some advise for me , I would be grateful

Thanks

Thanks.

Hello, You did encouraged me , with your note .

I am a thermographer specialized in building thermography and want to come to Thailand , to make some surveys of buildings from the inside to the outside,

and measure and calculate the energy losses they will have , so they can see and ,if the building is energy ''Cool'' or not , and to make the evaluation of the nesessety

of repairing or renovating is the option.

I have a high end camera Fluke TI 50 FT and I measure also the air and CO² and dewpoint etc etc

If you have some advise for me , I would be grateful

Thanks

If its a "movie" type TIR camera then you will be out of luck as they are banned in Thailand, except for use by the Military, however have heard you can "get" a license for one for specific or jobs applications and would guess this will cost a bit of tea money for someone.

Also there are one or two companies already doing TIR in Thailand and they are pretty cheap, the offshore oil and gas guys have their own personnel trained and have their own cameras.

So in summary, if the service is part of something else...may be possibilities....as a stand alone business...thin it would be hard going

I've seen these surveys undertaken in Thailand by local Inspection Services companies. My guess is the call for this kind of inspection and reports in Thailand is such that it's viable as an add on to other services but not as a profit making stand alone service