Uk Visa- 20 Week Wait

Ok here goes:

I live in Thailand with my thai wife and my son. My wife held a settlement visa for the UK and stayed around 9 months then we went back to Thailand and tried a business prepared to lose the investment if it didn't work. It didn't work! Now we wish to return to the UK but the wait if an interview is required takes 16-20 weeks! We have been married 3 years and lived together both in UK and Thailand and our son was born three months ago in Thailand. We cannot use the drop box as we are out of the two year limit. Do we seriously have to wait 4-5 months? Anyway to speed things up - her holding a visa before (she got it first time)? I should meet all requirements even having been absent from UK.

Cheers, as always, in advance.

Hi Toddy,

It is possible that you'd have to sit out the 5-month wait. However, if, on the basis of the papers only, the visa officer is inclined to grant the visa, he/she can call your wife in for a brief interview after only a week or two of the application having been made. The only problem is that you won't know which category your wife will fall into until you make the application.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Hi Toddy,

Me and my wife have had to wait 19.3 weeks to be precise :o Not that we're counting :D That is because we have had to wait for the full interview. However, in your circumstances, if you take all of your detailed documents with you at the application, you may be lucky and get a phone call for a short interview very quickly. A TV member a couple of weeks ago, had his sorted in just over a week and his circumstances where similar to yours. Good luck

Edit/ Sorry for any duplication, Scouse was posting at the same time

Edited by mrbojangles

Yes, Toddy, if you make sure that all the supporting evidence is included with the initial application then, in your circumstances, it is probable, but not certain, that she will be called in for a short interview. Make sure you include a full explanation of why she returned to Thailand and why she now wishes to live in the UK.

It is worth remembering that the long wait for an interview is nothing to do with the embassy being obstructive or awkward, but merely down to the high demand. Interviews are allocated on a "first come, first served" basis, except for emergency cases.

Edited by GU22

Ok here goes:

I live in Thailand with my thai wife and my son. My wife held a settlement visa for the UK and stayed around 9 months then we went back to Thailand and tried a business prepared to lose the investment if it didn't work. It didn't work! Now we wish to return to the UK but the wait if an interview is required takes 16-20 weeks! We have been married 3 years and lived together both in UK and Thailand and our son was born three months ago in Thailand. We cannot use the drop box as we are out of the two year limit. Do we seriously have to wait 4-5 months? Anyway to speed things up - her holding a visa before (she got it first time)? I should meet all requirements even having been absent from UK.

Cheers, as always, in advance.

All good advice, I was in the same situation a year back. I enclosed all my doc's with the application form, got a call for a short interview 2 days later. Went in on a thursday afternoon the week after and got the visa with no problems. My wife was just asked questions at the desk, no interview room !

Good luck

Toddy, as has been mentioned this is good advice. I was in a similar situation a few weeks back, although it was a first application. I would say just make sure you include everything in your sponsorship letter. As this is where some of the short interview questions stem from, along with afew others. Good luck!!

Scouse, is it normal for the Embassy to keep certain documents? They kept my sponsorship letter, the letter from my employee and the letter from my folks...

Sorry cuddlypete, this is why I have not forwarded you my sponsorship letter!! Bloody deleted it accidently off my computer!!! Doh!

Bang...........

A little help please,

I've bit the bullet and booked the old lady and myself a return trip to the UK in early April next year (Hope she'll never wants to go again after suffering the UK in April). I'll have to get her a visa obviously. I've checked out various sites, and rumour has it that you need to be in the queue at the embassy between 05:00 - 05:30 to have a chance of getting to the counter before it closes at 09:30. Sounds crazy!!! Anyone out there with any experience who could advise?

Cheers Paul

Paul,

You currently have 2 alternatives; you can either make the application in person or submit it by post. By the time you apply for your wife's visa, the process will, as likely as not, have changed anyway. The visa section is in the process of contracting out their administration and at some, as yet undetermined point, applications will be made to the contractor rather than the embassy.

Scouse.

Paul,

You currently have 2 alternatives; you can either make the application in person or submit it by post. By the time you apply for your wife's visa, the process will, as likely as not, have changed anyway. The visa section is in the process of contracting out their administration and at some, as yet undetermined point, applications will be made to the contractor rather than the embassy.

Scouse.

Will that change over change any documentation etc scouse?