True 3G - Happy So Far!

greatjob

Hi All,

I will be sharing a happy experience with Truemove 3G.

I was with Dtac for 8 years and made the jump to switch to True around 1 month ago. I was able to keep my existing number free of charge (Number Portability).

The whole process went very well, I was on Prepaid with DTAC and sign for a PostPaid by True.

The package that I chose was for the Iphone, 599 Baht/month unlimited data (Edge,3G and wifi) + 300 min all network, 300 SMS and 50 MMS. I also added an extra 69 Baht voice pack for 100 minutes onnet on True.

I have an Iphone 4 that I bought from DTAC 3 months ago.

3G is well covered in Bangkok (I haven't found a place without 3G yet) and I am currently in Pattaya for the weekend, 3G everywhere as well. The speed is consistently around 2MB/s, speedtest.net, which is fine.

The cool thing is that whenever I am close to a Truewifi hotspot, I am automatically connected to it, no need to enter any username or password.

Anyway I just wanted to share with you my great experience SO FAR!!

GJ

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True 3G coverage map

I've been using True 3G, pre-paid "Hi Speed NetSIM" for ~ 2 months (399 baht/month package: 500 MB:2G, 500 MB: 3G (plus an extra 500 MB for the first 3 months), 10MB: WiFi, 1.25 baht/min voice to all networks. I am very pleased with the performance, quality and coverage.

Thats a bit slow, i normally get better than that. I used to be in the camp of "why would anyone want high speed on a mobile". after using Apple iPhone and 3G - i am a convert.

Hard to use 2G edge when out of 3G range, real eye opener as yo what it used to be like

Does anyone know why I can't use EDGE in Ubon? I had a full phone signal but couldn't ever get access to EDGE. I know we don't have 3G out there yet but I was hoping I could use 3G when traveling to places that have it and EDGE while in Ubon.

Oh yeah, and the OP is definitely fake. The number portability thing is a major pain in the butt! I gave up trying. True sent me around to 3 different locations and then AIS informed me it would take a week to get things switched over.

Also, I lose access to 3G in downtown Bangkok at several locations and was on hold for an hour with customer service before giving up yesterday.

Edited by ubonrthai

Does anyone know why I can't use EDGE in Ubon? I had a full phone signal but couldn't ever get access to EDGE. I know we don't have 3G out there yet but I was hoping I could use 3G when traveling to places that have it and EDGE while in Ubon.

Oh yeah, and the OP is definitely fake. The number portability thing is a major pain in the butt! I gave up trying. True sent me around to 3 different locations and then AIS informed me it would take a week to get things switched over.

Also, I lose access to 3G in downtown Bangkok at several locations and was on hold for an hour with customer service before giving up yesterday.

Use DTAC for EDGE.

Can you share the make/model of your handset? Either your hanset does not support EDGE or it is in your settings. Do others get EDGE in that area? Typically if you can make a voice call you can use 2G (GPRS/EDGE) data.

I know one person who switched from DTAC to True, i.e. MNP (mobile Number Portability) and it took 5 days, including a weekend. They had to go to a certain location, in this case the True shop in the Digital Gateway (exit #2 at Siam BTS). It seemed relatively painless, and took less time than when I used to do this in the U.S., where it takes at least a week.

http://truemove.com/mnp/en/know_mnp.html

I have never experienced a True 3G lack of coverage in the metro-Bangkok area, even out in Dokmai/Prawet, but I imagine there are pockets where adjacent base-stations do not meet/overlap? I have used ~ 3 MB of 2G data this month (on a 500 MB allowance) so obviously I've lost 3G coverage at some point.

Regarding my speedtests, I assume that has to do with my fixed/home location, where I typically do all the speedtests as I capture the screenshot on my PC (off to the 'market' to get a scrrenshot capture app now; Oops, already had one, "Shoot Me", shake to capture!). Also I have been flashing custom ROMs, some with different modems (firmware) so that may affecting my results as well. I do not tether my phone, and have limited data usage (email, occasional mp3 download, application updates/downloads, browsing), so am extremely hapy with the performance. I have an Android phone, and am using ~ 225 MB of 3G data per month.

Edited by lomatopo

iPhone 3G, I've noticed it switched over to EDGE outside of range of 3G before, but I couldn't get anything to work in Ubon.

Assuming you are using a Truemove SIM I would surmise that True does not have EDGE, or even GPRS on your serving basestation in Ubon. Maybe try a DTAC/Happy or AIS-One-2-Call SIM as they both purport to have 100% 2G coverage here?

I didn't know they had 3G in pattaya - good stuff. I think True is more or less silently rolling out everywhere. I also think they recently did a large deal with CAT so I guess that CAT now won't complain and shut down existing 3G services - as they have done in the past.

I am also very happy with True - I have 3G everywhere in Chiang Mai, usually with good speeds. Got it in downtown BKK too - certainly beats EDGE.

TrueWiFi never worked for me so I am not even trying.

And you can't argue with the price, 600 baht for unlimited internet + tethering + the minutes and texts... great stuff.

The only drawback is coverage - up in the mountains in Pai True is no problem (EDGE only) - but when the power goes down, True is out cold in a manner of minutes. AIS and DTAC stay active for much longer, for hours on end. They also turn off eventually but not before something like 8 solid hours of power out. Which by the way still happens in Pai. Despite that huge shiny new power line to Chiang Mai that took 5 years to build...

PS: Didn't think number portability worked so I didn't even try when we switched my wife over. DTAC has worse iPhone plans than True, and you can only get them if you buy your iPhone at DTAC. My wife paid over 1000 baht for unlimited internet plus voice package - ridiculous. We tried to get a deal from them before going to True but... they won't do it. And they don't have 3G.

Edited by nikster

I don't know why phone networks are so confusing to me. When I travel to Bangkok, I want to use 3G and when I'm in Ubon I want to use EDGE or whatever slower data network that's available. I don't want to swap out sims and only want one plan. Is this possible?

I don't know why phone networks are so confusing to me. When I travel to Bangkok, I want to use 3G and when I'm in Ubon I want to use EDGE or whatever slower data network that's available. I don't want to swap out sims and only want one plan. Is this possible?

Apparently, no.

I was guessing that True do not have EDGE in Ubon; you'll need to determine that for yourself. If they do not then I really see no way around the two SIMs, if you require 3G in Bangkok on True, and EDGE in Ubon on another network.

TrueMove EDGE is horrible. Do you need it more clearly signposted?

You can buy a HAPPY PAYG SIM for 69 baht which will contain up to ten hours of surf time.

If you really can't be bothered to change SIMs, perhaps look into your phone/USB modem settings. It may have defaulted to UMTS/HSPDA/WCDMA only. You'll need to set it to Automatic or some such, so as to include GPRS/EDGE.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Yet another PR article... TRUE sucks and no PR can do anything with that

Jeez, can't make a positive comment without being labelled as "working for True"......

Anyway.... one think that I do not like is that I signed up for the extra 69 Baht for 100 minutes on "on-net" True calls and it does not work. It still takes it out of my 300 minutes.

The answer from the helpline was that it randomly takes it from the 69 Baht package and sometimes from the extra package.... That sucks.

3G does drain your battery though (even on the IPhone 4)....

GJ

Edited by greatjob

@greatjob: Thanks for the report. I live in Pattaya and can confirm (contrary to some posters who SHOUT that there is no 3G in Pattaya) that True 3G does in fact exist -- and work -- in/around Pattaya.

A friend got me an iPhone4 as a gift, and I'm still trying to convince myself I "need" to subscribe to 3G service.

Like you, I've been a DTAC pre-paid customer for about eight years and am thinking of porting my service over to True to avail myself of the 3G for my iPhone. I understand I need to go to the Bangkok main store (somewhere near Siam Square?) to port my DTAC phone number to True. I usually get to Bangkok every couple months, so that's probably going to be a scheduled stop.

I understand I need to go to the Bangkok main store (somewhere near Siam Square?) to port my DTAC phone number to True. I usually get to Bangkok every couple months, so that's probably going to be a scheduled stop.

Truemove MNP procedure

Locations:

•True Shop Chamchuri Square

•True Shop IT Mall, 3rd Pl. CP Tower 2

•True Shop Digital Gateway (Siam Square)

•True Shop The Mall Bangkapi

•True Shop Central Pinklao

•True Shop Central Airport Plaza Chiang Mai

•True Shop The Mall Nakhon Ratchasima

•True Shop Pacific Park Sriracha

•True Shop Khon Khaen

•True Shop Big C Hat Yai

•True Shop Ocean Shopping Mall Phuket

•True Shop Nakonsawan

•True Shop Ayudhya Park Shopping Center

•True Shop Laemthong Shopping Plaza Rayong

•True Shop Charoensri Arcade Udonthani

I understand I need to go to the Bangkok main store (somewhere near Siam Square?) to port my DTAC phone number to True. I usually get to Bangkok every couple months, so that's probably going to be a scheduled stop.

Truemove MNP procedure

Locations:

•True Shop Khon Khaen

•True Shop Big C Hat Yai

•True Shop Nakonsawan

I going through the process at the True Shop in Sri Ratcha (closest point to Pattaya) right now. I'm switching from AIS to True. True cannot make make the change unless your DTAC number has been registered in your name for at least seven days.

1. First and most important step is to make sure your number is registered with DTAC for at least 7 days. If you have a postpaid account with DTAC, the balance will have to paid off. There cannot be any charges on the account. Without that all the other steps are just a waste of time.
  2. Take your passport and work permit (not required if you are here on a retirement Visa) only to a True shop mentioned above. Other True shops cannot help you.
  3. Fill out a MNP form. The True representative will help you and make copies of your passport and work permit. You will be asked to select a promotion.
  4. You will be issued a True SIM and will be advised to wait for the SIM to be activated. You might be charged 99 baht for the SIM (mine was free).
  5. You should receive a SMS using the DTAC SIM from True advising the new SIM is activated within 3 days.
  6. Take out and through away the DTAC SIM (it's now useless) and replace it with True SIM.

Note: if you have a prepaid SIM, credits will be lost unless you transfer them to another number prior to the carrier change. They will not be applied to your new True SIM card.

My biggest problem is with AIS. For some reason AIS keeps mysteriously losing the registration information on their system. I don't find about it until after I have waited at least the 10 days (7 for the registration to take effect and 3 for the SIM to be activated) when I contact the True Shop to find out why the SIM wasn't activated. This has happen 3 times now!

Each time AIS apologizes when I restart with the registering the AIS SIM in my name. Personally I think it's an AIS tactic to keep customers from switching away from them.

Edited by BB1950

Truemove MNP procedure

Locations:

•True Shop Khon Khaen

•True Shop Big C Hat Yai

•True Shop Nakonsawan

I going through the process at the True Shop in Sri Ratcha (closest point to Pattaya) right now. I'm switching from AIS to True. True cannot make make the change unless your DTAC number has been registered in your name for at least seven days.

1. First and most important step is to make sure your number is registered with DTAC for at least 7 days. If you have a postpaid account with DTAC, the balance will have to paid off. There cannot be any charges on the account. Without that all the other steps are just a waste of time.
  2. Take your passport and work permit (not required if you are here on a retirement Visa) only to a True shop mentioned above. Other True shops cannot help you.
  3. Fill out a MNP form. The True representative will help you and make copies of your passport and work permit. You will be asked to select a promotion.
  4. You will be issued a True SIM and will be advised to wait for the SIM to be activated. You might be charged 99 baht for the SIM (mine was free).
  5. You should receive a SMS using the DTAC SIM from True advising the new SIM is activated within 3 days.
  6. Take out and through away the DTAC SIM (it's now useless) and replace it with True SIM.

Note: if you have a prepaid SIM, credits will be lost unless you transfer them to another number prior to the carrier change. They will not be applied to your new True SIM card.

My biggest problem is with AIS. For some reason AIS keeps mysteriously losing the registration information on their system. I don't find about it until after I have waited at least the 10 days (7 for the registration to take effect and 3 for the SIM to be activated) when I contact the True Shop to find out why the SIM wasn't activated. This has happen 3 times now!

Each time AIS apologizes when I restart with the registering the AIS SIM in my name. Personally I think it's an AIS tactic to keep customers from switching away from them.

Very good point. I had the same problem with DTAC.

I fixed it by going to DTAC and checked that my passport number registered with my SIM card was correct (I registered my SIM card 7 years before and my passport number was not the same as my current passport).

You do not need to wait 7 days for the registration. My wife registered her SIM card by DTAC in the morning, got an SMS the same afternoon from DTAC saying that the SIM was registered and then went the same day to True to transfer the number. 3 days later she was transfered.

I would strongly recommend doing the whole "register/transfer" at the Mall Bangkapi, DTAC is on the 3d floor, True is just below on the 2nd floor.

Again, make sure your first name, last name and passport number is registered correctly with DTAC and then you should be able to transfer without problem. It is free to move to True.

By the way, I had some problem with 3G yesterday, couldn't connect. I had to "reset network settings" on my Iphone 4 and 3G was working fine again. It seems that it is a known Iphone 4 bug, so be aware in case you lose 3G or EDGE signal sometimes.

GJ

Thanks for that list!

Where is the Sri Ratcha office? Is the location on/near Sukhumvit?

That's one reason I've been dragging my feet. My mobile phone doesn't see a lot of use. When I put B800 credit on my prepaid account, it can last me almost a year. I still have several hundred baht to burn up.

Very good point. I had the same problem with DTAC.

I fixed it by going to DTAC and checked that my passport number registered with my SIM card was correct (I registered my SIM card 7 years before and my passport number was not the same as my current passport).

You do not need to wait 7 days for the registration. My wife registered her SIM card by DTAC in the morning, got an SMS the same afternoon from DTAC saying that the SIM was registered and then went the same day to True to transfer the number. 3 days later she was transfered.

I would strongly recommend doing the whole "register/transfer" at the Mall Bangkapi, DTAC is on the 3d floor, True is just below on the 2nd floor.

Again, make sure your first name, last name and passport number is registered correctly with DTAC and then you should be able to transfer without problem. It is free to move to True.

By the way, I had some problem with 3G yesterday, couldn't connect. I had to "reset network settings" on my Iphone 4 and 3G was working fine again. It seems that it is a known Iphone 4 bug, so be aware in case you lose 3G or EDGE signal sometimes.

I get the concept, but not sure on exactly what I should tell the folks at the local DTAC counter to do. Do I show them my passport and say, "Can you please update my information in your computer to include my new passport info and my current address?" and then wait seven days before going to True? Will the folks at the DTAC counter understand and do what is required?

Yes, the Sri Racha office is right on Sukhumvit (West side) in the Robinson's mall on the second floor. If I recall there's a DTAC shop up there as well. AIS is in the same center (Pacific Center) about 300 meters from Sukhumvitt on the soi just to the left of of the mall.

FWIW, I just noticed that True have extended several promotions to me, and a whole lot of extra calling credits. They added 500 MB of 3G for the first three months, and plopped on another extra 100 MB of 3G for some unexplained reason. So I'm up to 1.1 GB of 3G, at least for the first three months. They also send me SMSes adding calling bonuses, totaling ~ 30 baht over two months. Not sure why?

Loma, TrueMove's web site for their 399 baht per month, 500 MB of 3G data plan is showing a new bonus for new subscribers of an extra 500 MB for the first three months, so they're essentially doubling the 3G entitlement.

That's in addition to 500 MB of EDGE/GPRS and 10 hours of Wifi time on that same plan... But that whole thing is a data add-on package, which doesn't in and of itself include any calling time. That appears to be offered under a separate, and additional price, package...

I also see for the first time that they're offering an even higher priced plan aimed at tablet users, with unlimited Wifi and 3 GB of 3G per month for 699 baht per month (data only, no calling included).

Did you do a new signup with them, or you've just kept their existing plans...and they're giving you the bonus time anyway???

post-53787-0-93318100-1299292629_thumb.j

http://www.truemove.com/en/wifi-edge-gprs-package.htm

Yes, I became a new subscriber in December, 2010 before this "extra 500 MB for the first 3 months" promotion was announced. My point was that they extended it to me without me having to ask for it. In fact I was just trying to figure out why they were giving me so much extra 3G when I saw this newer promotion. They also seem to be giving me another extra 100 MB of 3G, not sure why?

Yes, 399 per month covers data: 3G, 2G, WiFi. Voice calls (1 baht/min 7x24 all networks) and SMSs (1.25 baht per) are billed separately. This seems to be the norm with pre-paid 3G data plans here.

Edited by lomatopo

Hmm... I'm seeing elsewhere from True that if someone wants to shell out more than $600 U.S. to buy a new Motorola Milestone Android phone from them, that they're actually offering an unlimited use 3G/Wifi/Edge plan for 549 baht per month, including 200 minutes of calling time per month, on a pre-pay basis.

post-53787-0-85913100-1299293299_thumb.j

http://www.truemove.com/android/en/priceplan.aspx

Curiously, True doesn't seem to offer an unlimited 3G data plan at any price as part of their regular post-pay data plans...

Loma, about your misc. 100 MB of extra 3G time, it looks to me like, apart from the data plan add on, that the basic SIM plan you get to use their service includes 100 MB of 3G per month... So that's probably where it's coming from.

As for the broader comment about data plans here not including calling time, True seems to be moving in that direction... but I-Mobile isn't for their 3G service... They do bundled plans that, for a single price, give you an equal amount of calling time minutes and 3G data usage post-pay per month... In my case, it's their lower level 199 baht per month plan that includes 199 minutes of calling time and 199 MB of 3G data usage, at the moment, the 3G coverage only being available in BKK, unlike True.

So because of that, I also keep a low-cost True 3G data plan just for those times when we're traveling outside the BKK area... 200 baht plus per month to IMobile, and 129 per month to True covers it all...

That Milestone promotion is of course a "post-paid" account.

Terms and Conditions of Motorola Milestone and TrueMove Post Pay 549 Baht Promotions

1. This promotion is reserved for individual TrueMove Post Pay users according to the following details:

Linking a phone purchase with a promotion is pretty standard here, iPhones, Galaxy S, HTC Desire HD, among others have been launched with sometimes generous data/voice plans, both on the prepaid and post-paid sides of the aisle.

True have instituted a fair-use limt on unlimited 3G data plans, when reached the customer is ratched down to 2G speeds. Customers on iPhone unlimited 3G plans are apparantely not subject to this fair-use limit. Some unlimited fair-use limits are 1 GB, some are 3 GB.

Currently, for post-paid customers there is still an unlimited 3G package available, Ready - Smartphone.

Back on topic, I have to say I am very pleased with True's 3G offering. I have yet to find a place in metro-Bangkok without 3G coverage, and the data rates are quite impressive.

post-9615-0-52258100-1299295927_thumb.jp

Yes, TOT's MVNOs like i-Mobile have some interesting promotions, but their standard plans:

http://www.imobile3gx.com/index_3gx_internetsim.php

http://www.imobile3gx.com/index_3gx_prepaid.php

do have separate billing for voice calls.

My concern about TOT's MVNOs is the voice network. Obviously you have to roam on to another network for voice calls. I'd love to hear about people's experiences roaming on say an i-Mobile 3G SIM, which voice network are you roaming onto? Can you send/receive SMSes, MMSes? I've been meaning to try a TOT 3G SIM but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Loma, apart from my True service, I've had the IMobile 3G SIM for the past year plus, and am generally pleased with it...

Of course, the value here is really for folks who live in BKK where IMobile has 3G coverage thru the TOT network on 2100 Mhz... Outside of BKK, at present, they have no 3G or even basic EDGE/GPRS data coverage on their 3G service plans. We'll see how fast and/or when TOT is able to follow thru with their plans to go nationwide for 3G (similar to True's announced plans).

People who have IMobile 3G connect in BKK on the TOT network for calling and data. Outside of BKK, they roam to the AIS network for calling and, as I said above, have no data period. The call roaming to AIS works fine in all the areas I've been outside of BKK, though apparently roaming calls are charged extra and not included in your plan minutes.

On the plan, I can receive SMS messages, and I think I can send them, though sometimes the service for that seems spotty. I don't believe I can send or receive MMS messages on that service.

But as far as their 3G data coverage is concerned, I only use it for my Nokia mobile phone when I'm traveling outside of home, and the coverage and speed seems to be pretty sufficient. I don't try to tether a laptop with it or anything like that, so my data usage is just sporadic.

But as for regular phone calling, as I said above, my 199 baht per month plan includes 199 minutes of any network phone calling when in BKK. They had that plan more than a year ago when I first signed up with them, and they're still offering it today, AFAIK... Unlike True, which always seems to be constantly changing, starting, stopping their promotions.

Here's the translated English version of the IMobile 3G package I signed up for, and which they are still offering...

post-53787-0-66678900-1299299077_thumb.j

Here's the roughly comparable 3G plans available directly from TOT, again, roughly translated into English.

post-53787-0-99217400-1299300413_thumb.j

http://www1.tot3g.net/PromotionDetail3.aspx

Edited by jfchandler

True have instituted a fair-use limt on unlimited 3G data plans, when reached the customer is ratched down to 2G speeds. Customers on iPhone unlimited 3G plans are apparantely not subject to this fair-use limit. Some unlimited fair-use limits are 1 GB, some are 3 GB.

Currently, for post-paid customers there is still an unlimited 3G package available, Ready - Smartphone.

Thanks for the link above on the Ready Smartphone plans from True... I hadn't seen that web page before...

However, when I look at it, the only "unlimited" 3G package listed there, of course, has limits...

As it says, up to 1 GB per month at 7.2 MB speeds, and then UP TO 256 Kbps unlimited after that....for the price of 649 baht per month.

That's not quite what I'd call unlimited.

And of course when you go to click the "conditions" link for those packages, it goes to a dead "error" page.

post-53787-0-95175000-1299302387_thumb.j