Muay Thai! Muay Thai! Tonight! Tonight! Tonight!

simon43

Well did it??

I have to admit that the irritating 'Muay Thai' English language recording that is used to promote the Airport Boxing Stadium is actually my own voice after I took pity upon the stadium owner a few years ago when I heard his atrocious destruction of the English language.

And no - I did not have a WP at that time to work as a voice-over artist. Anyway, it was recorded in Singapore :whistling:

But do these ear-splitting, mobile adverts really result in an increase in visitors to the boxing stadia? Or is it just something that naturally goes with Thai boxing - like bacon and eggs??

Simon

This weekend we came down to Hau Hin and we were just talking about the very same thing - the mobile noise machines that seem to be one passing our hotel every 5 minutess orless. Not that i am the intended punter that will rush out and buy a washing machine or whatever from these pricks ,it has the opposite effect that i make a mental note ,that is all truth , i forget approx 5 minutes later, never to use their services products or promotions ever.<BR>Very similar effect to the adversse reaction to Indian Tailers in Pattay - the more they irritate me the less likely i would ever contemplate using their services.

I tend to agree with Xen. The noisy sound trucks along with the incessant blaring, who can make the loudest noise, in markets & shopping centres totally puts me off doing any shopping at such places. It is a totally unimaginative way to promote any products or services. However I suppose it is ingrained into the way of life here as every school day starts with the students lined up for the national anthem & some broadcast through loudspeakers. The national anthem & respect for the king is just fine but the other dictatorial stuff which follows to ingrain total obedience in the student populace?? It is all part of the top down central rule in this nation & the sound trucks take advantage of the Thais being particularly attuned to believe what they hear through these sources.

I'd guess that it probably gets a few butts in the seats. If nothing else it makes people aware of it. (Not mine though.) ph34r.gif

Just part of the overall noise pollution that is Patong/Phuket. Hell, in Samui they ride up and down the beaches in longtail boats with speakers blaring, "Toonight! Toonight! Get the seat earlier! Get the seat earlier!"

Hey, did you the OP sign anything when you done the original recording to say that you could revoke them using your voice in the future, it's nice to know you've touched all our lives with that bl**dy announcement on a daily bases. it's like Chinese torture, finger nails down a chalk board or worse my wife reaching orgasm with someone else. unbearable but strangely comforting. i joke!!!!, it's the thai way of noise pollution, even in shopping malls where bombarded with noise, bangla road reminds me of a fair ground, every separate ride just like the bars has it's own music blasting, i just can't see the appeal of banglas bars in regards to the noise. Oh does the OP impress people with his party trick by saying "tonight tonight", wow i'm sure some people would love to be there when he does that!!!!, could the OP do a answer phone message "i'm not in tonight tonight"

The only positive outcome (well for me), of doing this voiceover was that I got 50% discount on entrance fees to the boxing stadium and all the locals would wai 'lung Simon' and give me the best ringside seat :)

I do enjoy watching Muay Thai, and at least that particular boxing stadium offers genuine fights.

Now have you heard about my new voiceover that they want me to do? 'tuk-tuk, Tuk-Tuk, TUK-TUK!!!'

Just part of the overall noise pollution that is Patong/Phuket. Hell, in Samui they ride up and down the beaches in longtail boats with speakers blaring, "Toonight! Toonight! Get the seat earlier! Get the seat earlier!"

Shhhhh. Don't give them any ideas!!

But I have to admit, being in Samui a week ago, I was flabbergasted when I heard the "Tonight! Tonight!" on the beach... And turned to see a longboat out there with the speakers. I just had to laugh

how long have you lived here?

9 years - and I know exactly how much the local Thais are charged for the boxing stadium. But they get hard, simple seats whereas I'm given a ringside, squidgy, leather armchair for my fat farang a*se, with drinks and crisps served directly at my seat.

I'm happy with that - I'll shout 'hi' if I see you sitting amongst the 'common crowd' :)

Simon

9 years - and I know exactly how much the local Thais are charged for the boxing stadium. But they get hard, simple seats whereas I'm given a ringside, squidgy, leather armchair for my fat farang a*se, with drinks and crisps served directly at my seat.

I'm happy with that - I'll shout 'hi' if I see you sitting amongst the 'common crowd' :)

Simon

I live here and don't mind the boxing for something different every now and then, however, I refuse to pay 1500 baht when the locals pay only about 150 baht. I don't want, or need, ring side seats. I have no problems sitting with the locals. I understand their is a two teir system of pricing here, but, in this case, the disparity is too great. If the stadium was to offer a fairer price for expats, I would be a regular spectator. Not to mention the profits from the several beers I would consume whilst watching the fights.

An idea for them would be to offer "10 cards" at a greatly discounted price, aimed mainly at the expat community. This is a card which allows you to go to the fights 10 times. Tourist wouldn't be interested in going every night to the fights during their 2 week holiday, so, these would mainly be purchased by interested expats. Or, you could show your Thai licence etc etc for a fairer price.

Anyway, until there is fairer pricing for expats, they have lost me as a customer, and I would have been a regular.

I'd guess that it probably gets a few butts in the seats. If nothing else it makes people aware of it. (Not mine though.) ph34r.gif

I stayed in soi reggae in samui, so when i sat out on the balcony i could hear the same gabble "chewang chewang...get the seat earlier" from 9am in the morning until the early hours of the evening....It only succeeded in pissing me off, and i like going to the muay thai, but i made a point of not going to the one in samui

Edited by snamos

Simon

I live here and don't mind the boxing for something different every now and then, however, I refuse to pay 1500 baht when the locals pay only about 150 baht. I don't want, or need, ring side seats. I have no problems sitting with the locals. I understand their is a two teir system of pricing here, but, in this case, the disparity is too great. If the stadium was to offer a fairer price for expats, I would be a regular spectator. Not to mention the profits from the several beers I would consume whilst watching the fights.

An idea for them would be to offer "10 cards" at a greatly discounted price, aimed mainly at the expat community. This is a card which allows you to go to the fights 10 times. Tourist wouldn't be interested in going every night to the fights during their 2 week holiday, so, these would mainly be purchased by interested expats. Or, you could show your Thai licence etc etc for a fairer price.

Anyway, until there is fairer pricing for expats, they have lost me as a customer, and I would have been a regular.

If you train at the camps you get the tickets at local prices rolleyes.gif

i've committed the ultimate sin, i've recorded it via my phone, you have to try a couple of times to get it perfect and yes it's my new ring tone, if you can't beat them, join them, when in rome and all that jazz, it'll be just my luck Simon43 the voice of tonight, tonight will do a mis dial on his phone and the one in a million chance will call my number on my phone, "i'm going nuts, or yous coming"!!!!!!!.

Edited by ukfriend

• 4 months later...

Anything crawling along blaring crap puts me off anything.

Seeing a load of sad farangs thinking they are are tough nuts puts me off even more.

Any sport that glorifies hurting each other in the name of sport is brainless.

I had a fight and broke someones arm and maybe get brain damage?

Neanderthals. There are better ways to get fit.

I have to admit that the irritating 'Muay Thai' English language recording that is used to promote the Airport Boxing Stadium is actually my own voice after I took pity upon the stadium owner a few years ago when I heard his atrocious destruction of the English language.

Sorry Simon but i hate your voice BIG time, think about people living in Patong have to listern to that crap every day

Dont do it again please, enough to listen to all the crap add coming out of the local radio,,,,,,oooohhh did you do some of them as well :)

I am so sorry, i thought it was the one in Patong,,, but i am sure its the same so i dont want to delete what i wrote :)

Edited by HDRIDER

Yes if the prices where a bit cheaper I would go more than just once. last year my friend was the main fight and we could only get tickets for 1500 each there was 8 of us I just laughed and said no thanks. We went to the bar right in front of the tix outlet, soon they had great deal for us. all for 1500 bht.

And my friend won the fight, not bad.