Trying To Buy A Honda Crv In Chiang Mai

msg362

I want to but a Honda CRV in Chiang Mai; there are several dealers. Cost around 1.2 million Baht ( cash!) There is a 3 month waiting list!

Having looked extensively on the web I've worked out that this should do the job- mostly town driving but with regular trips to Mae Hong Son, Pangmapha etc and a little off road in dry weather. OK So I ask for a test drive but it seems the whole of the north only has one test car which was in Lampang but seems now to be in Chiang Rai!!

OK I say so get it here- i want to drive it up Doi Suthep which locally is simliar to the 1095 road, I say I am 90% sure I will buy one and will pay cash if I am happy.

Sorry, you can only drive it around the town on the flat and- WAIT FOR IT!!!!!!

the manager does not like selling to farangs, they give him too much trouble!

I'm a Brit, imagine in the UK saying 'I don't want to sell to you because you are muslim/indian/ whatever' what might happen?

Is this why Thailand can't move on and up?

I'll not name the dealer, but just don't go towards Mae Rim! ( there were two farangs in that day- he's lost 2 sales!)

I'm going to try other dealers, but if necessary will go to BKK. If anyone has better thoughts let me know

TIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Thai made CR-V doesn't have a substantial export market, so production lines are kept to minimal volumes due to low domestic sales, hence the waiting time.

There's three Honda showrooms in Chiangmai, but two are the same company (Ping Nakorn). I've had very good service (after sale though, not buying) with the Ping Nakorn super highway branch in the past, so perhaps worth a try.

Failing that, the new car dealers (all brands) in Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae and Chiang Rai usually try harder than those in Chiangmai, with very few exceptions. You may find it's worth driving a couple of hours to get a good deal and respectable service.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

It does make you think. In farang land you have a test drive, simple, easy. It makes me wonder that perhaps the natives her are no problem, do not question, accept, but farangs do question and want answers before they part with their hard earned cash. :huh:

Get used to it.I tried to buy a Canon printer at a Pantip plaza shop on saturday,first I had to wait about 3 minutes while the attendent at the counter was instructing a new staff member on the computer,a "nong krup" a couple of times was completely ignored as they picked up that a farang was there to purchase something.

The attendent finally finished her more important business then stated that the particular model was out of stock, then opening the stock system on the aforesaid computer simply stated that that particular model (MP497 Wi-Fi) is obsolete and no longer manufactured! After checking on Canon international site it is very current.

Bloody hell...what are they smoking?

Any business that only sells according to nationality/creed won't last long.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but this problem seems endemic in Thailand ,do you agree?

I bought my Civic 2.0 last year at the Honda dealer on Hang Dong road near the end of the airport and find they have been very helpful. Just had my first service check done on it and the service was very good.

They even called me the next day to see if 1. was I happy with the service I received and 2. was I comfortable while I waited for it to be done (I brought my netbook with me and they had free WiFi. :D

As for CRVs, they have had a 3 month wait for the last two years as far as I could tell from reports on TV.

Get used to it.I tried to buy a Canon printer at a Pantip plaza shop on saturday,first I had to wait about 3 minutes while the attendent at the counter was instructing a new staff member on the computer,a "nong krup" a couple of times was completely ignored as they picked up that a farang was there to purchase something.

The attendent finally finished her more important business then stated that the particular model was out of stock, then opening the stock system on the aforesaid computer simply stated that that particular model (MP497 Wi-Fi) is obsolete and no longer manufactured! After checking on Canon international site it is very current.

Bloody hell...what are they smoking?

Any business that only sells according to nationality/creed won't last long.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but this problem seems endemic in Thailand ,do you agree?

Yes, it seems we are hassle cos we ask questions and if a problem take it back. If l have a prob with a purchase my mrs doesn't want to know about taking it back :huh:. Business hear really is a pushover. :)

Again off topic ,but here in Pattaya i have had a chevy optra for 5 years and now want to change to a cruise,the service has been 1st class from day 1 and after every service i am called a few days later to make sure i am satisfied ,when i went in to see the cruise the service again by the staff was excellant .

also went into Honda again sales staff 1st class

Just an update! Life is OK! I went to the Honda dealer on the superhighway, just past Makro and the road to Sankamphaeng. One of the sales ladies speaks good English: great service a test drive, she even came out to the house so that my wife ( Thai) and I could place an order! Just as it should be. The only downside is the 3 1/2 month waiting time! UGH!