Advice On Thai Wife Studying.

Does any one have any experience with their Thai partner studying in the UK?

Just general college courses , not university degrees..

My wife has a degree in Law and I think it would kill 2 birds with one stone , keeping here busy when we go back to the UK for a while and getting a longer visa...

Thx..

The information and links provided in your recent topic should tell you much of what you need to know about obtaining a study visa; Studying in the UK and Acceptable courses for general students may be of interest as well.

I guess, though, that what you're really after are suggestions for courses and sponsors?

Well, first she has to decide what she wants to study, then she has to find a college who is on the register of sponsors who will accept her onto a course and sponsor her (having such a sponsor counts for 30 of the 40 points she needs to qualify under the PBS).

Bear in mind that it is unlikely that she will find a course that begins before the start of the next academic year in September.

I still think that the settlement route is your best option; the overseas student fees she will have to pay will be a lot more than the difference in cost between a student and a settlement visa. Also probably more than the cost of a return flight to Thailand if she were in the UK as a visitor.

Remember that with a settlement visa she can work or study if she wishes; though if studying she would still have to pay the overseas fees until she had been in the UK for 12 months.

Can Settlement visas be started while on a visit visa?

I think she would have to return to Thailand to submit her settlement visa, After 6 months out of the UK, Just up date your file when near six months with all the relevant papers . i e bank statements mortgage Invoices things like that,

Thongkorn is half correct; she cannot apply for settlement in the UK if there as a visitor, or any other non-settlement visa valid for 6 months or less, and would have to return to Thailand to apply. However, there is no minimum time between returning and submitting a settlement application; she could do it the day she arrived back in Thailand, regardless of whether any existing visa was still valid or not.

If she enters as a student, then providing her original student visa was valid for more than 6 months (and I think still has at least three months to run) she could apply to extend her stay for a further two years as your spouse.

See Applying as a husband, wife or civil partner from inside the UK

Edited by 7by7
Link added

Before you decide which route to take, what is her English like? Has she taken a test of some sort in the last 2 years?

Given her background in law she may enjoy an English for law course. Most courses start every Monday.

Or she could consider an ABE business programme if she has interest there. She'll gain an int'ly recognised and portable qualification. Start dates tend to be 1 per quarter. Courses run from certificate level (beginner) to post-graduate diploma level.  

She could even work towards several UK law qualifications through ILEX for example. 

Or better still might be a Workskills programme, where she'll learn key skills (interview skills, negotiation, persuasion etc) and do a work placement to get hands on experience. The work placement would be full time work. Dependant on her English and CV she could even secure a law based work placement. She will also get a recognised qualification awarded by Edexcel for example. A very popular option with Thais. 

What are your long term plans? UK settlement or just a stretch in the UK before returning to Thailand?

And importantly, what does your wife want to achieve? Her career plans when returning to Thailand? Or in the UK if planning to settle?