Final Question

Thanks for all your help and advice on this forum.

My final question before we hand our application in is do we need to get our Wedding Certificate and translation back into English stamped by the British Embassy after we have had it translated?

Im thinkin we do but just want to clarify please?

Also what are the times we can hand our visa in on a friday morning? Is it similar times as to when you get the affirmation stamped?

A word of advice also to people visiting the MFA for the affirmation to be stamped "GET THERE EARLY" had a nightmare with waiting times yesterday and we arrived at 10am!!! Didnt get the papers back until 17:00 and that was the express service. The place was packed out. Stressfull day all in all.

Thanks again for all your helpfull advice and i will keep the forum posted with our application process and result.

Regards

There is no stamp issued by the British Embassy on marriage certificates. For me, the only reason to go to the British Embassy was to get my Affirmation of freedon to marry.

I'm guessing you are applying for a settlement visa for your new wife (in which case, you are now going through the exactly the same process that I've just completed).

As far as your marriage certificate goes, all you need to do for your visa is get it translated by a certified translator. Then include both the original and the translated marriage certificate in with your application papers.

I did however, get my translated marriage certificate legalized at MFA (along with a translated copy of my wife's birth certificate).

These legalized copies are not required for the visa, but they may be handy to have once in the UK.

You also asked 'Also what are the times we can hand our visa in on a friday morning? Is it similar times as to when you get the affirmation stamped?

Just to clarify, You hand your visa application in at Regent House, 2nd Floor 183 Rajdamri Road,Lumpini Bangkok 10330, not at the British Embassy. The offices at Regent House are open from 8.30am till 3pm for the submission of applications.

We got there bang on 8.30am, got our cheque from the Siam City bank on level 1, and joined the queue. The Mrs got out at 12 noon.

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/index.aspx

Edited by thecatman

Thanks for your advice.

My wife is adament that we should go to the MFA to stamp the marriage certificates for our visa because the guy at Amphur "said so".

If i just include the marriage certificate and the paper that comes with it and the 2 translations to English all be ok yes for our settlement visa?

Its been best part of 4 days running around pulling tickets out of machines so could really do with 1 less visit to the MFA. Stresfull mak mak!

Kind Regards

Thanks for your advice.

My wife is adament that we should go to the MFA to stamp the marriage certificates for our visa because the guy at Amphur "said so".

If i just include the marriage certificate and the paper that comes with it and the 2 translations to English all be ok yes for our settlement visa?

Its been best part of 4 days running around pulling tickets out of machines so could really do with 1 less visit to the MFA. Stresfull mak mak!

Kind Regards

Yes, the original marriage certificate and the translated version (+ the witness forms you mentioned) will be fine, but like I said, it may be worthwhile having the translated copy legalized before you go to the UK (cheaper & easier to do here in Thailand).

There is confirmation that the documents DO NOT have to be legalized at the MFA here :

You must include the original documents and a photocopy of each document you choose to submit. Please ensure that the photocopies are good quality and can be easily read. You will also need to provide a translation of any supporting documents which are not in English, or your application may be refused. Each translated document must:

• be dated;
  • include the translator's name and signature; and
  • include confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document.

This was taken from here:

http://www.ukvisas.g...sdocschecklist/

Edited by thecatman

Go on line and make an appointmentto submit your visa application it is essayer,

You can submit you application online, but booking an appointment online (to submit all your documents) is not an option at the mo, the system is down.

On finding this out I then called them, but was told to just turn up at Regent House and wait, this was only last week.

We did not have the translation of our marriage certificate certified by the MFA, just by the agency that did the translation. This has always been acceptable in the UK; for example to the DWP when applying for a NI number.

A reminder; could people please say in their topic title which country they are asking about. I've edited this one to include 'UK.'

Hi there.

There seems to be a contradiction of opinions here as one post says that we need not to get the marriage certificate translated for our application for settlement visa for the UK,but elsewhere it says all supporting documents must be translated,signed and dated by the translator.

Does this also apply to the tambien baan please?

Regards

Both the UKBA and the UKVAC say that documents not in English should be accompanied by a translation.

However, anecdotal evidence suggests that translations of official documents are not required.

If you do provide translations the UKVAC says

All translated documents must include the following information:

confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document

the date of the translation

the translator's full name and signature

The translator's contact details

As you can see, no need to have translations certified by the MFA.

I would suggest that you have your marriage certificate plus any other documents you think may be useful in the UK translated while in Thailand; it will be a lot cheaper than having them done in the UK.