Adding Tint To Windows

ArtfulD

Are there products similar to car window tinting films that I can apply to some household windows? Or is using the car products a viable option? I would rather not replace the windows that are already installed and wish for a dark as possible tinting for my bedroom windows.

And the purpose for tinting?

Curtains block off light if you need to darken the room. Dark tinted film blocks off light but will heat the glass pane up. Like turning your car into a microwave...:lol:

Ive got silver backed curtains already but the room is still too bright for my liking, I sleep mostly during the day so darker/cooler the better. The curtains I must admit are not very good, perhaps getting them redone is the best option.

Curtains block off light if you need to darken the room. Dark tinted film blocks off light but will heat the glass pane up. Like turning your car into a microwave...:lol:

Ive got silver backed curtains already but the room is still too bright for my liking, I sleep mostly during the day so darker/cooler the better. The curtains I must admit are not very good, perhaps getting them redone is the best option.

Masking tape and some black cloth on window panes should do the trick

Say what??? Dark film doesn't act like a dark color does, it insulates and blocks heat absorption. To the OP just go to an automotive tinting shop and purchase it, it's the same film, I'd even consider reflective for a house though..

A cheaper alternative might be taped on aluminum foil and you will get a complete blackout effect and excellent insulator too....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Say what??? Dark film doesn't act like a dark color does, it insulates and blocks heat absorption. To the OP just go to an automotive tinting shop and purchase it, it's the same film, I'd even consider reflective for a house though..

A cheaper alternative might be taped on aluminum foil and you will get a complete blackout effect and excellent insulator too....

A dark film stuck on a glass pane blocks radiation transmission through it by absorbing and thus cause the glass pane to heat up. My 20+ yo Corolla has such films and the glass is hot to touch when parked under the sun.

Reflective film/foil throws the glare of sunlight to some place else. Make sure the glare does not land on the property of some other who may turn nasty.

Edited by trogers

A dark film stuck on a glass pane blocks radiation transmission through it by absorbing and thus cause the glass pane to heat up. My 20+ yo Corolla has such films and the glass is hot to touch when parked under the sun.

Reflective film/foil throws the glare of sunlight to some place else. Make sure the glare does not land on the property of some other who may turn nasty.

I don't even know how to respond to this :huh: . So I won't except to say of course your window is warm in sunlight regardless of ANY tint or otherwise...

I don't even know how to respond to this :huh: . So I won't except to say of course your window is warm in sunlight regardless of ANY tint or otherwise...

Warm and hot are two different matters. My wife's car uses 25% reflective. The glass is warm but the metal body of dark green is hot under the afternoon sun for a couple of hours. My Corolla's darkly tinted glass is hot and its metal body of white color is warm.

You can experiment this fact by placing a black pot and a shiny one under the sun for a couple of hours and check out their hotness to touch.

Where can you buy the reflective tinting?

I have large windows that probably need replacement film [17 years old]

Any idea if it is simple to put on and any idea of cost?

having had a replacement windscreen put in my car[no film] I know how effective 'HI KOOL' film is.

Sorry for the hijack.

Edited by 4.real

having had a replacement windscreen put in my car[no film] I know how effective 'HI KOOL' film is.

Sorry for the hijack.

Large windows 17 yo. More cost effective to just change them to reflective glass with new weather seals.

Sorry for the hijack.

Large windows 17 yo. More cost effective to just change them to reflective glass with new weather seals.

Croosy wrote that he was bored the other day...

I guess you are too.

It is a pity that you ,unlike Crossy, have nothing worth reading to add

Sorry for the hijack.

Croosy wrote that he was bored the other day...

I guess you are too.

It is a pity that you ,unlike Crossy, have nothing worth reading to add

You do the maths. A budget of Bt1600/sqm can get those glass replaced with reflective ones. Compare that with removing old film and placing new ones.

Warm and hot are two different matters. My wife's car uses 25% reflective. The glass is warm but the metal body of dark green is hot under the afternoon sun for a couple of hours. My Corolla's darkly tinted glass is hot and its metal body of white color is warm.

You can experiment this fact by placing a black pot and a shiny one under the sun for a couple of hours and check out their hotness to touch.

You are aware that there are different insulating ratings on any given tint and reflective is not relative to insulating. It is not at all related to the color depth of the tint. Doesn't sound at all likely that the 2 cars are both with the same quality and ratings applied to both tints..

OP as a matter of fact it is quite likely you could get a company that installs automotive tint to also come out to your house and do it, I know some do both and it's a job that is so inexpensive here relatively speaking that I would never consider doing it myself.. JFYI most companies will remove the old tinting free of charge for the whole job..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 1 month later...

To the OP just go to an automotive tinting shop and purchase it, it's the same film, I'd even consider reflective for a house though..

Yep do this, I use lamina films for the windows in my home office to help with the heat.

http://www.laminafil.../home/index.php

Hi, I would like to buy some reflective film to apply to my condo windows to block UV, cool the room and give privacy during the day time. I looked at the lamina website but can't read Thai. Could you give some details about the way you buy Lamina film, the roll width and the way prices are calculated. I'll email Lamina with the same questions, maybe phone them on Monday, but I'd appreciate recommendations from people who've experience using the film. Thanks.

To the OP just go to an automotive tinting shop and purchase it, it's the same film, I'd even consider reflective for a house though..

Yep do this, I use lamina films for the windows in my home office to help with the heat.

http://www.laminafil.../home/index.php

Hi, I would like to buy some reflective film to apply to my condo windows to block UV, cool the room and give privacy during the day time. I looked at the lamina website but can't read Thai. Could you give some details about the way you buy Lamina film, the roll width and the way prices are calculated. I'll email Lamina with the same questions, maybe phone them on Monday, but I'd appreciate recommendations from people who've experience using the film. Thanks.

I've used it in the past both on car and house. Did all my own installations except for the cars. It's basicly the same stuff as cars, but for house windows you want a thin film that has a "reflective" coating which faces outward or makes contact with the glass. Installed from the inside not on the outside as I have seen it done here. For houses it usually comes in Silver or Bronze. Car films come based on how much light it lets in and is rated by percentage and by color. Its a bitch to take off once its on. They do have a film remover that you spray on and works really well but you need a lot of it. But it isn't too hard to put on if you learn a few tricks and have a helping hand. Takes practice to get it right the first time. Takes a lot of work and skill getting the air bubbles out.

Might be cheaper to have someone who has done it do it for you. Or depending its cost, might be cheaper to replace the windows. Do you have glass slats or solid windows? You can buy the tinted slats really cheap here. And you might try going to a glass shop to see what they have.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in a condo and want to tint the windows to block UV, reduce heat and give privacy. The windows are currently bare and I've seen lots of videos on youtube about applying the film DIY. While

I asked the management at my condo and they gave me the number for V-Kool which I duely phoned and the man explained that just the cost of the film (not including installation) ranges, depending on quality, between 90 - 450 baht per square FOOT! not metre but foot!

That would mean just one of my smallest windows would be nearly 3000baht, which seems crazy.

When I accidentally broke a window last year, the cost of a new pane was only 100, and the 1,000b bill was mostly labor costs. Maybe I should ask a window shop about pre-treated fpanes or whether they exist.

I've seen Home Pro sells decorative film, but would want a reflective film - I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest suppliers of film or prices?

Maybe I should ask a window shop about pre-treated fpanes or whether they exist.

changing the glass of your windows would be less costly and it would be the real thing. below a sample of my windows and glass doors (coated and tinted, initial cost ~25% above normal tinted glass):

post-35218-0-85189500-1303095584_thumb.j

post-35218-0-94621500-1303095620_thumb.j

the man explained that just the cost of the film (not including installation) ranges, depending on quality, between 90 - 450 baht per square FOOT! not metre but foot!

"the man" is waiting for the proverbial sucker who is born every minute :bah:

the man explained that just the cost of the film (not including installation) ranges, depending on quality, between 90 - 450 baht per square FOOT! not metre but foot!

"the man" is waiting for the proverbial sucker who is born every minute :bah:

Agreed.

I phoned Lamina (linked to above) and their prices start at 135b/sqf including installation, which seems more reasonable.

About changing the glass itself - isn't the tint achieved by film?

Agreed.

I phoned Lamina (linked to above) and their prices start at 135b/sqf including installation, which seems more reasonable.

About changing the glass itself - isn't the tint achieved by film?

no it's not, the tint is embedded in the glass. the additional reflective mirror coating is on one side of the glass.

No tinting will give the OP what he needs. He is looking for Darkness, so a good black-out curtain w/ magnetic strips to hold it to the opening would do the trick. Or keep the existing drapery and get a blackout roll-down shade installed within the window opening itself, in addition to what you have now. Find a reputable vendor with experience in hotels preferably. They "get it."

As for heat issues, a simple application of spectrally-selective ceramic film will do wonders and is the most cost-effective remedy for poor design in the form of East/South/West-facing unshaded glazing in this climate. These films work without being reflective nor darkening (appreciably) your view outside. PM me for further info if needed.

All the best,

OK, this is going to sound like an infomercial for Southwall, but the spectrally-selective window films are such a great fit for poorly-oriented windows in LOS that I want everyone to know it's available and the benefits are real, and real easy for the do-it-ya'selvers!

For more info re: spectrally-selective window film, google Southwall Technologies - just an amazing company & products, including Heat Mirror sealed insulating glazing with thermal R ( heat transfer Resistance ) values better than Thai walls. Brought to you by public-private partnership gone right, in the land of HIgh Tech & Anything's Possible - California!

Southwall's product is OEM product on high end Benzes and their local licensee, V-Cool ... is that V-Kool... is in window tinting shops locally, and they do lots of cars here. It's also licensed by Huper - a German company who claims the product as "German Technology" on their website... uh, right. Huper has recently also licensed a reseller in LOS as energy costs are rising and Building Green - or at least saying you Build Green while actually actually just greenwashing - is becoming all the marketing rage here.

SO... if you have a problem window, go get this product if you don't want to, or can't feasibly, install an exterior shading device to solve a heat problem.

Let me know if you need any info or assistance!

-bbradsby