Russian Wave Hits Samui

A friend of mine said something about the influx of Russian tourists on Samui of late: "I hope this doesn't end up like Pattaya!"

I actually don't know what he meant by that, but it got me thinking.

It does seem that most places I go I find more and more Russian wafting thought the air. While I assume at least initially this is good for business, I had dinner with an airport worker tonight who told me that many Russians are looking to set up businesses here. His job puts him into contact with many new arrivals. This made me wonder if one day we might see more and more signs of "Little Moscows" cropping up around the island: enclaves where the bars and restaurants are taken over by Russians, since like some nationalities (Germans come to mind) Russians like to flock together. That in and of itself is not a problem, as long as it doesn't get out of control. But anyone who has seen the "all German" hangouts on Samui knows that while everyone is welcome, only German-speaking peoples are really accepted.

I looked at some of the other comments on Russians in other parts of Thailand on Thaivisa.com and there seems to be some dissatisfaction with their behavior at times, but that's not really my point.

My point is, is it a good thing to have such a major wave of tourists from one part of the world, who may well establish a "base" here for their compatriates who largely do not speak English (much) and will tend to segregate? Or is it the long-awaited salvation to the dearth of customers Samui has had in the last several years?

My personal view is that the jury is still out. My experience with Russians (and this is a giant place we are talking about so don't think they are all from the same neighborhood) here has been limited and one sided (shifty Machiavellians), so I can't really draw any hard and fast conclusions. Still, something bothers me about this. I can't quite put my finger on it. As I say, it's not about individual actions, per se, but having a disproportionate number from one country "taking over" here.

What do you think?

This is a difficult one to answer without sounding racist.

In my experience, when you get a lot of Russian tourists, there follows a wave of 'Russian businesses' who want to get the money from their compatriots.

It seems to be these people who become the problem. First fighting each other to get the business from the tourists, then fighting everyone else.

This has happened in Pattaya BIG time and also in Phuket..

Like you, my gut feel tells me to be worried. The Russian tourists are trying to get away from the problem people. The tourists have now arrived in Samui. The problem people will follow I am sure.

I have been looking after Russian tourists for a number of years now, but the latest ones (this year) are starting to be a problem.

:crying:

A related question / comment:

Why do even the young people from Russia not speak any English? How about the school system nowadays, English is mandatory I guess?

Got a group in our Restaurant: Not a single word of English (all in their 20's). How do you enjoy your holiday then when NO communication with anybody is possible?

...they are everywere. Today in Tesco at the cassier a group of farang, clearly having some issue with the staff, and i lined up on that que... with loud voice, not wearing a shirt and in bad english debating about something. Thai staff and customers clearlt annoyed, talking bad about it in Thai..... Ive seen it more than once now. I dont have a opinion about these people, i dont care, as long as they behave and show respect to the host country/people its all fine with me. Before shit hits the fan i better start wearing T-shirt with "i ain't a Russian" print in Thai, because some Thai think i am.... :P

still hoping to meet up with a nice Russian though, for some vodka competition...and to undo the myth of them being the supreme beings regarding that drink :D

We just spent two months with Russian neighbors in Maenam. They spoke no English and were very friendly towards us. Even so far as bringing us over tasty treats they cooked themselves. We all went out one night to the Thursday night walking market and had a wonderful time just smiling and laughing together....unlike our German neighbors of last winter that wouldn't give us the time of day and could speak English but refused to...

A related question / comment:

Why do even the young people from Russia not speak any English? How about the school system nowadays, English is mandatory I guess?

Got a group in our Restaurant: Not a single word of English (all in their 20's). How do you enjoy your holiday then when NO communication with anybody is possible?

Take Americans,....do they speak any other languages than English? hardly... The country itself is really big, the countries next to it adapt to their language (most of the time), They dont need to speak English.Outside influence? They have their own movie industry so movies (how i learned it) is out of the question. Their pride with reference back to the times of cold war? Russians and traveling for fun is also quite new. ...im just guessing all of this though :P

Yet another thread where everyone posts that they fear the Russians are gonna take over everything, but are afraid to say that they fear the Russians are gonna take over everything. (PC police may be watching!) ph34r.gif

I think I'll just revisit this thread in another year and see how things went. smile.gif

Just a warning. I would normally not encourage a discussion of this sort, as it will invariably lead to racist remarks.

Please keep it civil . I have already removed 2 posts , any further slurs I will close the topic.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I think it's great that the people from a large communist state are finally getting the chance to expose themselves to cultural influences outside their own nation. Think how travel has changed the face of UK attitudes and culture over the last 50 years. Britain and other western European countries now have some of the most tolerant and laid back citizens of the world and the prospect of global wars is that much less likely than it was say 30 years ago. International travel and cross cultural tolerance has played no small part in that.

The process is now starting for Russia and will eventually lead to much greater demand for freedom for its people. When Brits started invading Spain in the 60s, establishing enclaves in the likes of Torremolinos, followed by Brits wanting to set up businesses there, no-one spoke any Spanish. Then they started learning some from the BBC and WH Smug videos and today, although the stereotype remains, many Brits have a go around the world.

Please put up with the perceived downsides for a while (or at least accept that if you live in a tourist resort you can't choose your tourist nationality) and enjoy the ride of watching the global social revolution unfold.

Now if only we can start on the Chinese and Muslims :rolleyes:

Just a warning. I would normally not encourage a discussion of this sort, as it will invariably lead to racist remarks.

Please keep it civil . I have already removed 2 posts , any further slurs I will close the topic.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

:) Our experience with Russians has been totally positive, with them returning year after year for long time stays, each time bringing more of their friends. They always bring gifts for all the staff and regularly invite Crusty to restaurants he could never afford. We also have some regular Kazarkstan guests who are a delight to watch when introduced to new friends as they greet everyone with Borat type hugs. Plus the Russian bikini brigade is a vast improvement on the German xxxx we have had to endure in the past !

Edited by Rooo
Slur removed.

Removed another post. There is no difference to when the English , French , German tourists first arrived here. This topic is only fuelling racial discussion & abuse of forum rules.

Closed.