Schools For Thai Kids In Cm

haveaniceday

I am looking to move to CM over the next several months, we are looking for and researching schools before we get there, does anyone know of list or a good place to start?

We are not looking at a high end Intl school, but the small Gov school they are currently enrolled in, well they simply have to move for their own good.

I believe that schools range form 10k baht a year to many good ones at around 50kb a year. The search function didn't really help here, I am wondering if anyone here can remember and good threads on this subject.

I hope TV is a good place to start, Thx in Advance.

You are correct. You will not find much help here. You have to do some more homework.

I do not have a list, but if you start doing more research on schools of Chiang Mai, you will do much better. There are both government schools and private schools which serve Thai children (and some --- very, very few ---children from English-speaking countries). They are not nearly as expensive compared to "international schools." Teachers are paid very little in Thailand.

In your case, it is very important that you use the Thai language in doing your search. Going to an English-speaking forum populated almost entirely by expatriates is not going to help much.

One very simple way to start identifying schools is to get a map of Chiang Mai on which schools are very often noted by name. Go from there. In Thai.

Check out the Chiang Mai Forum and within this is a thread for education/childrens education. I found this a good place to start. Thai schools have very poor English language teaching, as do many of the so called bi-lingual schools. Do the background work and then go and interview the schools nearest to where you plan to live.Of utmost importance is to get thorough info. on the teaching staff, their qualifications and whether the school has native speakers who speak good English well!

Thanks for the tips so far, even in TV Goggle works much better for search than TV own search function !!

At our daughters current school, (not in CM), the English teach can't speak English. I kid you not. I can not speak to her in English, my wife can't speak to her in English and our daughter can't speak to her in English, her idea of English teaching is spelling only and kids listen to a CD every now and then. It is very much, Amazing !!!!

Just trying to avoid this kind of crap, thanks for the replies.

Check out the Chiang Mai Forum and within this is a thread for education/childrens education. I found this a good place to start. Thai schools have very poor English language teaching, as do many of the so called bi-lingual schools. Do the background work and then go and interview the schools nearest to where you plan to live.Of utmost importance is to get thorough info. on the teaching staff, their qualifications and whether the school has native speakers who speak good English well!

Suggest you prepare a list of questions in advance, ask your questions and if you don't get clear answers, then ask your question again in a different approach until you get a totally clear and comprehensive answer. Even if it annoys the person from the school

If you don't get full comprehenive information, then be prepared for all sorts of surprises to 'pop up'.

Regina

Dara

Prince Royal

Monfort

additionally Hopra and Yupparat.

I know more administrators at these places than parents but all have a decent reputation locally.

Varee Chiang Mai school is also worth considering. They have three streams:

- Full Thai language (very limited English exposure)

- 50/50 Thai/English, with OK English exposure

- Full English program, all classes, except Thai language development and Thai history, taught in English by western teachers. Quality of teachers not too bad.

Current costs for full English program at Varee is 100,000Baht all up for one year. Sorry, I don't know costs for the other streams. Varee has very good facilities, all romms have air-con and lots of equipment / materials / aids for the teacher. Good canteen, good sports facilities, etc.

If you want more information about Varee, suggest you call Ajahn Dani, she is a senior teacher / administrator at Varee, she speaks close to native speaker English, very focused and very friendly / pleasant lady, very good listener, quickly picks up the theme of your question and gives clear answers, and no hesitation to add further points that would be valuable background knowledge.

Sorry I don't have her number here right now. School tel numbers are on their website. If Ajahn Dani not available when you call, suggest you call back.

--------

One other point to remember in general about CM non government schools. Many are Christian based schools, some don't push christianity, some push it very hard. But up to you of course whether this is important.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

Thanks for the tips so far, even in TV Goggle works much better for search than TV own search function !!

At our daughters current school, (not in CM), the English teach can't speak English. I kid you not. I can not speak to her in English, my wife can't speak to her in English and our daughter can't speak to her in English, her idea of English teaching is spelling only and kids listen to a CD every now and then. It is very much, Amazing !!!!

Just trying to avoid this kind of crap, thanks for the replies.

To avoid that kind of thing you really don't want to enroll your children in Thai schools. All international schools here are pretty good and this one one looks the most promising of anything I've seen here in years:

http://www.panyaden.org/en/

If you want more information about Varee, suggest you call Ajahn Dani, she is a senior teacher / administrator at Varee, she speaks close to native speaker English, very focused and very friendly / pleasant lady, very good listener, quickly picks up the theme of your question and gives clear answers, and no hesitation to add further points that would be valuable background knowledge.

Might I also suggest Mr Daniel Maxwell, Head of English Programme at Varree International Annexe, email [email protected] phone 053 140 233 ext 316.

Good Luck !

Depending on the age of your kid I would recommend NAPA. It is an excellent bilingual school offering kindergarten and now starting with grade 1 (I suppose they will add a grade every year until they reach grade 6).

Not exactly cheap but very good value for money; in my opinion it has the level of the international schools but costs a lot less. Small class sizes and excellent facilities.