‘Lucky Plates’ Rake In Millions For Phuket

webfact

‘Lucky plates’ rake in millions for Phuket

phuket-1-itetXQI.jpg

Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha submitted the winning bid

for license plate Kor Nor 1111.

phuket-4-YgnBxAb.jpg

Lucky 8s sold for 1 million baht to Jaruk Kaewpunnaray (left).

PHUKET: --The sixth annual “Lucky License Plate Auction” kicked off today at the Metropole Hotel in Phuket Town with the much sought after Kor Nor 9999 plate selling for 1.4 million baht.

The numbers “8” and “9” are auspicious numbers according to Thai traditional beliefs.

In addition to taking home today’s top seller, motorcycle repair shop owner Jaruk Kaewpunnaray, 30, also forked out for the second-most expensive plate: The 1mn-baht Kor Nor 8888.

Mr Jaruk said the plates were not for himself, but for a man he only identified as his “boss”, who runs a sand and gravel business in Phuket.

Phuket’s “number-one” man, Governor Tri Augkaradacha, also participated in the auction, winning the bid for license number Kor Nor 1111 for a relatively modest 250,000 baht.

Chair of the event and Department of Land Transport Deputy Director Asathai Rattanadilok Na Phuket said it is hoped this year’s auction will generate more than the 18,745,500 baht brought in last year.

“Last year Krabi made 19mn baht in their second-annual plate auction – the highest amount of any province in the South,” he said.

Nakhon Ratchasima, in Northeastern Thailand (Isarn) generated the most nationwide, earning 27.7mn in their auction last year.

“So, Phuket, please try to beat them. You have the potential to do so,” Mr Asathai said.

Phuket was the first province in Thailand to raise money through a license plate auction six years ago. For our previous report, click here.

The auction will run for its final day at the Prapitak Ballroom at the Metropole Hotel tomorrow.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-02-26

In addition to taking home today’s top seller, motorcycle repair shop owner Jaruk Kaewpunnaray, 30, also forked out for the second-most expensive plate: The 1mn-baht Kor Nor 8888.

Mr Jaruk said the plates were not for himself, but for a man he only identified as his “boss”, who runs a sand and gravel business in Phuket.

Phuket’s “number-one” man, Governor Tri Augkaradacha, also participated in the auction, winning the bid for license number Kor Nor 1111 for a relatively modest 250,000 baht.

Governor....TRI....:annoyed:

You ought to be much ashamed of yourself....

ditching out only 250k for the number one plate.... shame shame shame..... B)

raise money through a license plate auction

Who benefit from the auction?

Supposedly, the Highway Dept.... using this extra income from this source to better educate motorists.... and to improve driving conditions....

Well, it is supposedly to be used in such manners....

but then.... have not read nor seen any written report on such application.... nor the effectiveness, if any, of such application of funds either.... :jap:

Supposedly, the Highway Dept.... using this extra income from this source to better educate motorists.... and to improve driving conditions....

Better educate motorists........hmm….. looking at the traffic situation it seems more like they use the money to better them self...

Phuket lucky license plate auction raises more than Bt23mn

phuket-1-AFPUrQe.jpg

VIP: A yellow Lamborghini parked outside The Metropole hotel in Phuket Town,

where the auction was held, sporting one of the special plates auctioned off in 2005.

PHUKET: -- The sixth annual “Lucky License Plate Auction” held in Phuket Town over the weekend raised 23,504,500 baht, Kanok Siripanichkorn, chief of the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO), has told the Phuket Gazette.

“I am very happy with the revenue raised – it's five million baht more than last year,” he said.

All 301 plates up for auction were sold, averaging 78,088 baht apiece – the highest average ever at the annual Phuket event, Mr Kanok added.

The event last year raised 18,745,500 baht, averaging 62,277 baht per plate.

Securing the top bid of 1.4 million baht at the auction this year was license plate Kor Nor 9999.

Most of the money raised from the auction will go to the Department of Land Transport’s national Road Safety Foundation to help pay for road-safety campaigns, Chief Kanok explained.

“Some of the revenue will be handed over to Phuket educational institutions and to local police to help fund local road-safety campaigns, and some will go toward helping disabled people in Phuket,” he added.

“Every single baht will be returned to society,” chief Kanok assured.

One of the key attractions of the annual event is that it gives people the chance to make merit, he added.

As next year’s event will feature license plates with the Thai characters Gor Bor, “I believe anyone with the nickname ‘Gob’ [pronounced ‘Gop’, meaning ‘frog’] will be interested in taking part,” Chief Kanok said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-01

“Every single baht will be returned to society,” chief Kanok assured.

Khun Kanok, do you know what 'transparency' means? In this case, 'transparency' means that outsiders can validate your claims. Since Thais themselves hold such a low opinion of bureaucratic corruption, you might do yourself a favor to prove where the money's going.

I know that if I had access to millions of baht and I didn't have to prove where it went, I'd be tempted to pinch a bit off the top.

"Every single baht will be returned to society," chief Kanok assured.

Khun Kanok, do you know what 'transparency' means? In this case, 'transparency' means that outsiders can validate your claims. Since Thais themselves hold such a low opinion of bureaucratic corruption, you might do yourself a favor to prove where the money's going.

I know that if I had access to millions of baht and I didn't have to prove where it went, I'd be tempted to pinch a bit off the top.

Very tempted to just unofficially appoint your truly to be one of the examiner of this revenue.

What sayeth thou? ;)

Otherwise, we all know, what is going to happen to the majority of the funds raised!B)